Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Looking forward to many days out!

Days out

Days out

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all... Been reading lots of posts on this site and it's helped me no end learning and understanding the issues and things to watch out for with the Cali.

I have been considering getting a camper for some time now. I had borrowed one 4 years ago for a week with my wife and daughter, and we loved it. We now have a 3 year old son too, and we all like camping and weekends away so we decided the time was right to get a camper. We considered second hand, California's, conversions etc, but after looking at a few, decided to go for a new T6 Ocean.

After deciding on the specification I ordered about 4 weeks ago an Oryx white 150 DSG with discovery navi, privacy glass, parking sensors and 5th seat. Minimal spec, I know, but basically the essentials in our opinion, so the price was pretty keen, plus a good dealer discount. We were all excited about having the van, but over the next few weeks started getting concerned about the build week...

Read lots of posts on this subject and this week found out we would be getting our van end July, (if we were lucky!).

We decided that this would be too late for us, and of course there is always the risk of delays etc, so I spent a day phoning nearly every VW California dealer in the UK to see if I could find a ex-demo or stock order similar to my preferred specification that I could have sooner...

I must say that contrary to what some posts say there are quite a few vans out there if you phone around the dealers. Discovered a few with non swivelling seats! (Thanks again to all those who have warned about this) Many are high spec and thus high price, but in the end I've found an Onyx white 204 DSG with a 5th seat, privacy glass, parking sensors and sat nav, plus a few other goodies I wasn't going to have, but will of course make the van better, such as black awning, MFSW, cruise control, high beam assist (great feature this... Had matrix headlights on my 3rd gen Audi TT and it's a superb option when night time driving..) and extended matress. Delivery in June, so happy days indeed.

Want to make a few modifications to it so I am already thinking of what to do. I love the idea of black details against the crisp white paintwork, such as black B posts, sill graphics, black wheels, possibly lowered, and a black bike rack. When it comes I will post some photos of my changes. Can't wait!

Hi all... Been reading lots of posts on this site and it's helped me no end learning and understanding the issues and things to watch out for with the Cali.

I have been considering getting a camper for some time now. I had borrowed one 4 years ago for a week with my wife and daughter, and we loved it. We now have a 3 year old son too, and we all like camping and weekends away so we decided the time was right to get a camper. We considered second hand, California's, conversions etc, but after looking at a few, decided to go for a new T6 Ocean.

After deciding on the specification I ordered about 4 weeks ago an Oryx white 150 DSG with discovery navi, privacy glass, parking sensors and 5th seat. Minimal spec, I know, but basically the essentials in our opinion, so the price was pretty keen, plus a good dealer discount. We were all excited about having the van, but over the next few weeks started getting concerned about the build week...

Read lots of posts on this subject and this week found out we would be getting our van end July, (if we were lucky!).

We decided that this would be too late for us, and of course there is always the risk of delays etc, so I spent a day phoning nearly every VW California dealer in the UK to see if I could find a ex-demo or stock order similar to my preferred specification that I could have sooner...

I must say that contrary to what some posts say there are quite a few vans out there if you phone around the dealers. Discovered a few with non swivelling seats! (Thanks again to all those who have warned about this) Many are high spec and thus high price, but in the end I've found an Onyx white 204 DSG with a 5th seat, privacy glass, parking sensors and sat nav, plus a few other goodies I wasn't going to have, but will of course make the van better, such as black awning, MFSW, cruise control, high beam assist (great feature this... Had matrix headlights on my 3rd gen Audi TT and it's a superb option when night time driving..) and extended matress. Delivery in June, so happy days indeed.

Want to make a few modifications to it so I am already thinking of what to do. I love the idea of black details against the crisp white paintwork, such as black B posts, sill graphics, black wheels, possibly lowered, and a black bike rack. When it comes I will post some photos of my changes. Can't wait!
Sounds like a great result. You won't regret it. :D

I have to say that I agree with you about high beam assist. I wasn't going to get it as it seemed a laziness step too far! But it works much more effectively than I had expected.

Yes, it's one of those options that until you have had it you don't realise how good it is. On the TT the matrix beam just threw a shadow across any incoming car, is my main beam didn't dazzle the car, yet fully lit up the surrounding area. It was amazing to use the first time and dealt with multiple cars really effectively. I don't think the main beam assist on the Cali is the same, but when you are driving late at night it's a pain to keep flicking on and off the lights, so I'm hoping this will be almost as good am the matrix lights I used to have. By the way has anyone got the heavy duty anti roll bars? That's another option I will have fitted on my can. As I said I do like the lowered look, but do you think this will be a step too far if I already have the heavy duty barsL. Anyone out there have both, and possibly big wheels too? Thanks in advance...

Looks like you made a wise choice switching to a demo vehicle. Especially as it has a great spec. Could be a good choice for many of us being hit by delays. Did you loose your deposit?

No I didn't loose my deposit because luckily it was the same dealer. However it still might have been worth loosing considering the "cost" of not having the van for the summer with the kids. My dealer was really good in that when I mentioned I was concerned about the fact the van might be later than I wanted he said he'd give my deposit back if I decided to wait until next year or look for alternatives. I'm sure he would have had no trouble selling my van anyway had I walked away.... As you say in the end I've probably got a better van and for similar money to my new one.

I'm glad you had a happy ending
Bet you can't wait to get the show on the road :bananadance:bananadance

Alan

I had high-beam assist on an Audi A6 Allroad but found that it sometimes dazzled drivers, or reacted to glare from road signs, so I stopped using it. Having said that, my sister has it on a TT and likes it. One thing I loved about the Audi was the adaptive Xenon headlights that pivoted into corners as I approached them, that worked really well but I've heard the matrix lights are even better. I have a T6 on order and have specced the Xenon lights but it would have been nice to get something like Audi's LED matrix system but, frankly, I'll just be glad to get the van! Ordered in early March, no delivery date yet, not making any plans.

My build week was 30 which was September. I'd ordered it 23rd March, then I was told it might be with me in July. As I mentioned above, I didn't want to take the risk of not having a van for this summer so I called most of the California dealers in the uk. I guess I found approx 3 vans not registered and 5 or 6 ex-demos. Of course with this route you have to accept that you might not find exactly what you would have ordered, but I found most of these vehicles had the obvious parking sensors and cruise control etc. But I must admit most were highly specified. One had non swivel seats so you have to be careful that you know exactly what is fitted. But it is another option if you desperately want a van this year and like me left it too late really for a good chance to get one on factory order. The common thread with talking to these dealers was that they are hard to come by and most dealers only get a small allocation. I g Jess in some ways this is the main reason why they hold their value as its down to supply and demand. I'm surprised that you have no build week yet X4 WVC!

Latest news. My original factory order is now at the dealers and I'm hoping to pick it up next week. Ironically the ex demo option I was contemplating buying due to uncertainty of my order was due on 23rd July. So in the end my original factory-order arrived within a week of the earliest I could pick up the ex-demo. But very happy to get what I had originally wanted and ordered. Looking forward to many fun days out!

Big day today! Picked up our California this morning. Great handover from Chris at VW Liverpool and of course a perfect camper van. Exactly as ordered. No problems. Great experience and worth the wait. Had it lowered before we picked it up and it really looked good. Fitted some Brandrup seat covers immediately we got home before my any sticky fingers got near it. Just looking forward to some sunny days out soon. Come on summer... Where are you?

image.jpeg

Nice , let the good times roll-on
I say over and over again , soooo cool in white!
No awind out awning?

Congratulations. Glad it went smoothly for you. Enjoy

Mike

No awning. Just wanted to keep the lines clean on the outside. Took a bit of advice off the forum and want to spend some time with the van before buying too much. When we borrowed a Cali for a week a few years ago we didn't use the awning... If we need one in the future it can be added. We chose options you can't add later such as the bright onyx white paint and DSG gearbox. Just sitting in it now and enjoying it before we fill all the cubby holes with stuff!