Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Loose hexhead (?) screws found in roof

Ladymuck

Ladymuck

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
I was cleaning out the grooves in the roof today after camping in woodland where the van got covered in tree bits...
Anyway the pop top was up and I found these three screws in front left gulley (?) bit where the pop top would normally sit on top of. Had a good look around and couldn't see any holes missing a screw so all looks well. It's only a 3 month old van.
Should I check further? Or could it be just what someone left in there when fixing the roof in the factory ?

20210620_220038.jpg

Tell your VW dealer and get them to inspect the whole roof that way you are covered if there are any future issues.

Tell your VW dealer and get them to inspect the whole roof that way you are covered if there are any future issues.
Hi, thanks for your reply, I'm over an hour away from the dealer and it's under 5 years warranty anyway so I really don't want to take the van there unless I I have to :rolleyes:

Hi, thanks for your reply, I'm over an hour away from the dealer and it's under 5 years warranty anyway so I really don't want to take the van there unless I I have to :rolleyes:
OK maybe just taken some pictures and let them know so they can check next time you have a service.

I was cleaning out the grooves in the roof today after camping in woodland where the van got covered in tree bits...
Anyway the pop top was up and I found these three screws in front left gulley (?) bit where the pop top would normally sit on top of. Had a good look around and couldn't see any holes missing a screw so all looks well. It's only a 3 month old van.
Should I check further? Or could it be just what someone left in there when fixing the roof in the factory ?

View attachment 80357
From your pictures the bolts look very rough at the ends ie could have sheared off I would have another look with the roof up check around the scissor roof hinges

They look like torx screws that have been cut down, so don’t look factory to me.

My awning was replaced by VW under warranty and held on with similar fixings, wind your awning right out and check its attatched as when mine was fitted it was hung on the rail with no bolts until the technician securely bolted it on. Just wind your awning out fully and check it is bolted on. Just remember to wind it back in the opposite way to winding it out.

My awning was replaced by VW under warranty and held on with similar fixings, wind your awning right out and check its attatched as when mine was fitted it was hung on the rail with no bolts until the technician securely bolted it on. Just wind your awning out fully and check it is bolted on. Just remember to wind it back in the opposite way to winding it out.
Indeed, awning bracket screws are in 3s
1624263819674.png

View attachment 80357
Do you have an awning? Or has your California ever had one? Yes, those look like the bolts that attach the awning bracket. Maybe when an awning was removed or replaced , whoever did it left them in the gulley and closed the roof until you found them.

Yes it's a new Cali Coast so the awning is standard. They were right next to the awning and I remember seeing those three screws, I'll double check it when the pop top is up. Thank you.

Just opened up mine to dry it out after the weekend, and yup, there they are (although we have removed our awning at the moment).
1624271995275.png

Did these turn out to be "spares", or was the bracket not fixed?

Did these turn out to be "spares", or was the bracket not fixed?
I have to pop the top to check and I can't be bothered ! I'll check when we go away again in a couple of weeks. I'm pretty sure they are spares as I saw those screws in Loz's picture, just need to check the other side, as I assume they will be on the other end of the awning too..

Sadly not. We are at the end of week 6 of the build! And SMG tell me that the factory has now halted production for a week.
When it goes into build you think it won't be long until delivery, then it sits there for weeks..... Mine took 12 weeks from build date to delivery, sounds like it can't be that far off now ..

When I fitted our after market awning, I first had to remove those 2 x three shorter Torx screws, that were fitted in the holes as "placebo" screws, to keep water from the 6 holes.

When fitting the awning and its brackets, I had to use other screws that are a few millimeters longer, to bridge the thickness of the awning bracket (if I recall well, M6 X 16 MM versus M6 X 12 MM). Also, IIRW, there's also a difference in screw lenghts between the front bracket and the rear one.

Maybe your screws were sawn, to make them shorter? Is it an awning that was not factory mounted?

BTW: Do not ever use these longer screws after unmounting your awning. Because of their longer pole, they will bite in the lacquer of your roof, resulting in corrosion. Instead, use the shorter ones, if you want to prevent water piling up in the six holes.

If you do prefer to use the longer screws, put at least two distance rings under the head of the screws.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

When I fitted our after market awning, I first had to remove those 2 x three shorter Torx screws, that were fitted in the holes as "placebo" screws, to keep water from the 6 holes.

When fitting the awning and its brackets, I had to use other screws that are a few millimeters longer, to bridge the thickness of the awning bracket (if I recall well, M6 X 16 MM versus M6 X 12 MM). Also, IIRW, there's also a difference in screw lenghts between the front bracket and the rear one.

Maybe your screws were sawn, to make them shorter? Is it an awning that was not factory mounted?

BTW: Do not ever use these longer screws after unmounting your awning. Because of their longer pole, they will bite in the lacquer of your roof, resulting in corrosion. Instead, use the shorter ones, if you want to prevent water piling up in the six holes.

If you do prefer to use the longer screws, put at least two distance rings under the head of the screws.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.
Thank you Marc, it's a 2021 California Coast so the awning was factory fitted, I need to double check those screws were surplus and not missed !

View attachment 80357
I had same issue. Two fell out where scissor meets roof on T6 Ocean. Subsequently found others loose. The roof popped up about 6 inches in rear corner. 20210503_164641.jpg Managed to get one back in as emergency measure while away. Took to VW when back home who said that they wouldn't cover under warranty as something had obviously been caught in scissor and bent the top rail. Stating the blindingly obvious I said 'yes, the screw(s) that fell out!'. It was a good job that I had taken photos as they agreed to run it by Germany to accept liability. Still waiting for confirmation and delivery of parts.
20210503_164729.jpg

I checked the pop top today and pleased to report no missing screws found, or any damage, the 'spares' are very similar to those that fix the awning but not quite the same, perhaps during the fitting, that's why they were put down and then forgotten about ??

Back