Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Loose sliding door handle

In- or outside handle ?

Suspect a dealer visit maybe required. Will be interesting to see how Spanish dealers compare with Polish ones.

Suspect a dealer visit maybe required. Will be interesting to see how Spanish dealers compare with Polish ones.

We saw a sign to a VW factory on our way here, I can't recall if it was Pamplona or Logrono, probably Logrono which is very close. I also noted that there were two VW service centres showing on my sat-nav in Logrono. I think all these are positive signs.

All three Polish VW service centres gave exceptional service in different ways: Warsaw for phoning ahead to a service centre in Krakow, Krakow for fixing the seatbelt clip and pre-arranging the recall fix with two mechanics standing by, Swidnica for replacing the number plate mount free of charge.

Follow my blog at www.au-revoir.eu

We have an appointment at Rioja Motor for repair at 3pm.
They were unable to fix the handle as they need to order in the part. They've phoned ahead to Gijon to order the part so we can get it fixed on Monday or Tuesday. Apparently it's a 2 hour job. @Borris might say it will be a "simple warranty claim", and I might reply, "there ain't such a thing".

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

How do they know which part it needs, without taking inner door panel off? Sounds like guesswork to me.
Why will it take 2 hours?

The garage was very clear. They showed me an exploded diagram of the door handle. A bracket on the inside of the door has either broken or come loose. Dismantling and reassembling the door to investigate takes time, and they don't want to do that without the part, so they've phoned ahead to another dealership, 300 km to the NW to order the part for me. The dealer I visited have nothing to gain unless they are on some sort of "let's rip off Amarillo" collusion scam with the other dealer. Anyway, unlike Borris' hub cap cover nightmare, I expect to be able to make a warranty claim for this. Door handles shouldn't come loose after just seven months.

I agree with your post 9 BUT, it is passing the buck to the next garage. I also agree the door handle should be repaired FUG

I agree with your post 9 BUT, it is passing the buck to the next garage. I also agree the door handle should be repaired FUG
Looks like there is nothing to pay. Warranty issues within the first two years only are a simple matter within the single market area. More complicated in the third year as VW's standard warranty is 2 years, VWUK give 3 years as standard. Yet more complicated outside the UK if you have the extended 5 year warranty.

...Apparently it's a 2 hour job....

:D

Takes about 2 mins to remove the inner trim panel (that holds the table) and all is revealed. Probably just loose bolts.

Under the door bottom edge are 4 Torx screws - remove those.

Then with confidence and a little ;) pulling the trim panel comes off. Go easy starting at the top.

Last edited:
Looks like there is nothing to pay. Warranty issues within the first two years only are a simple matter within the single market area. More complicated in the third year as VW's standard warranty is 2 years, VWUK give 3 years as standard. Yet more complicated outside the UK if you have the extended 5 year warranty.

In the UK years 1 + 2 are via VW and year 3 is a Dealership warranty. 3 rd year can still be used at any approved VW Dealer. Something to do with Consumer Regulations , I think.
Don't know how the extended 5 yr VW warranty is managed. Maybe ALL via VW?

The bill came to just under 135 Euros - we paid nothing. I'm not sure how this squares with @Max-Felix explanation of how to fix it. The process took 2 hours and the van wasn't washed as in Poland.

My explanation was not 'how to fix it' but how to remove the trim to see the issue inside the door - and that is indeed a 2 min job for a mechanic with a Torx wrench and a pair of hands. ;)

My explanation was not 'how to fix it' but how to remove the trim to see the issue inside the door - and that is indeed a 2 min job for a mechanic with a Torx wrench and a pair of hands. ;)

Rioja Motor told me they didn't want to investigate the handle without the spare part because it took to long to investigate.

What parts were fitted? If any

Two chargeable parts - some sort of internal catch and another bit or bits. WiFi here is lamentable and 3G phone is, at best, one bar. When I can I'll photograph the invoice and post it.

I think that the cause of the failure was repeated and determined efforts by a 3 3/4 year old boy to try to open the door.

No worries - good news is you're all working again. :)

Two chargeable parts - some sort of internal catch and another bit or bits. WiFi here is lamentable and 3G phone is, at best, one bar. When I can I'll photograph the invoice and post it.

I think that the cause of the failure was repeated and determined efforts by a 3 3/4 year old boy to try to open the door.

I'd say that might be the likely cause, my youngest hasn't quite got the strength to open the door but he keeps on yanking the handle.

I'd say that might be the likely cause, my youngest hasn't quite got the strength to open the door but he keeps on yanking the handle.

Most of my friends keep doing the same, even they both have the size and stamina to probably open it perfect. But maybe it takes a special touch … or they have a lack of something else :D

Mine has become a little loose as well …

My children, 9 and 7, constantly hangs down when opening the door. I am always yelling to them, only outward and backward, not down. I dont think the handle will last the vans life at all.

I have joined the loose handle post, got the door trim off to have a look but could not see anything loose, part required I think, rather the guess the part booked it in to VW, will update once done. Two hours Labour in the UK will be more expensive for sure.

Loose sliding door handle now fixed by VW, description of work was "stripped down door handle assembly found inner parts had fallen apart, rebuilt, remitted and secured, test all ok" Bill for that was £180 plus vat = £216 for the two hours of labour.

I do recall having to give the handle a really hard tug a number of times when frozen solid, must remember not to do that in future! Just open from inside.

Loose sliding door handle now fixed by VW, description of work was "stripped down door handle assembly found inner parts had fallen apart, rebuilt, remitted and secured, test all ok" Bill for that was £180 plus vat = £216 for the two hours of labour.

I do recall having to give the handle a really hard tug a number of times when frozen solid, must remember not to do that in future! Just open from inside.
I’ve spent less than that on buying a car!

Back