Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Losing oil somewhere?

Jukebox70

Jukebox70

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Recently on a drive down to southern Spain, my oil light came on around Madrid, around half way. Put about most of a litre in, checked level, all good. Arrived in Malaga, parked up for the next month or so oil level remained good. On returning to the UK got to around Madrid again, oil light on again. Put another litre of oil in, then close to santander another 1/2 litre. Now home check oil another 1/2 litre. No sign of any leaks. Any ideas?

sounds like you may have a worn engine using oil

As per Calikev. If it's not leaking it must be being burnt. Any smoke, particularly on acceleration?

It's only 6 years old 55000 it's a 180 SE bluemotion. It's still under warranty so hopefully covered. Can't get it into a garage till the 21st Jan.

2014 180 SE now on 106,000 miles. Oil Consumption over past 12,000 miles Zero mls.
EGR changed due to electrical fault 2 weeks after Registration, so same EGR for past 105,500 miles.

2016 204 Caravelle same problem. Should we start trashing ALL 204 engines.

Last edited:
2014 180 SE now on 106,000 miles. Oil Consumption over past 12,000 miles Zero mls.
EGR changed due to electrical fault 2 weeks after Registration, so same EGR for past 105,500 miles.

2016 204 Caravelle same problem. Should we start trashing ALL 204 engines.

Didn't see any mention of trashing 180's.

Did expect you to give some advice on 180 oil issue diagnosis having more insight than most.

Didn't see any mention of trashing 180's.

Did expect you to give some advice on 180 oil issue diagnosis having more insight than most.
It will come, without any actual/physical evidence to back it up.
My point is, it happens, even on the 204, and if it only happens to some engines/vehicles then the cause must be multi-factorial in nature.

I had the same issue with slightly higher mileage. Used more or less the same amount of yours did quite suddenly Ended up replacing the engine.180SE
Mine wasn’t under warranty however
I would get yours in asap!!

What a load rubbish from the usual deniers. I'd wager 80% chance the EGR / cooler has eaten itself and thrown diamond hard fragments into the engine. Pistons and bores will be fu"ked. New engine, £7k from retro rues or £10k from vw. I really hope the warranty covers it, but it must be 6 years now that the usual deniers have been trying to downplay and confuse this issue.

What a load rubbish from the usual deniers. I'd wager 80% chance the EGR / cooler has eaten itself and thrown diamond hard fragments into the engine. Pistons and bores will be fu"ked. New engine, £7k from retro rues or £10k from vw. I really hope the warranty covers it, but it must be 6 years now that the usual deniers have been trying to downplay and confuse this issue.
Yep. Spot on!! It can’t be sugar coated ( mainly), a new engine is required. Retro Resus were brilliant.Blanked off the EGR and back within a week with a brand new engine. Warranty included too. My EGR was replaced a year or so ago by the previous owner but the engine was already shot unfortunately.
There are plenty of threads about this subject.

As a warning shot , Retro Resus have replaced engines on models as current as 2016 due to oil loss issues!!!

If it was the EGR solely at fault would you please, please explain why only SOME 180 engines are affected?
I look forward to your expert opinion.

NB CFCA engines from MY 2010 to 2012 are accepted as having a fault, admitted as such by VW.

Not the case in this instance.

I await your response with bated breath.:thumb

If it was the EGR solely at fault would you please, please explain why only SOME 180 engines are affected?
I look forward to your expert opinion.

NB CFCA engines from MY 2010 to 2012 are accepted as having a fault, admitted as such by VW.

Not the case in this instance.

I await your response with bated breath.:thumb
I'm now worried. I have an October 2017 registered 204 DSG 4Motion - is this engine also prone to the EGR issue?
Currently on 36k miles

Envoyé de mon SM-N950F en utilisant Tapatalk

I'm now worried.
Don’t be. No evidence to suggest any engines subsequent to the 180 (ie. 204) are affected, and plenty of debate over whether the 180 is affected beyond 2012 in any case. There will always be a couple of faults reported on any engine but nothing to worry about with the 204, enjoy your Cali.

How environmentally friendly is throwing away engines with 30k miles on them. Brilliant. All to pass emissions tests. How much extra carbon is produced building a new engine after burning all that oil. And then the customer gets stung for 10 large. Again brilliant

I'm now worried. I have an October 2017 registered 204 DSG 4Motion - is this engine also prone to the EGR issue?
Currently on 36k miles

Envoyé de mon SM-N950F en utilisant Tapatalk
Not seen any specific EGR related issue causing engine failure. EGR system is known to be a problem on all short run only vehicles. Carbon build up clogging the cooler and blocking the valve.
I have seen mention of 204 (and others) being replaced on models T6 and T6.1 but no pattern emerging as to cause, seems to be a case of like any mechanical unit failures will occur.
I took a Warranty package out just in case.

Not seen any specific EGR related issue causing engine failure. EGR system is known to be a problem on all short run only vehicles. Carbon build up clogging the cooler and blocking the valve.
I have seen mention of 204 (and others) being replaced on models T6 and T6.1 but no pattern emerging as to cause, seems to be a case of like any mechanical unit failures will occur.
I took a Warranty package out just in case.
I think you will find the EGR failure is resulting in metal particles from the cooler circulating in the oil and damaging the cylinder bores / pistons beyond economical repair.

Back