Low coolant warning light after long trip

AlisonF

AlisonF

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
I had a 900 mile round trip (Weds and Sun) towing the Eriba. All went well. Then today, Monday, the low coolant warning light came on. All was fine driving, with 3 short stops both ways it was 9.5 hours for each journey. The temperature gauge did not go above normal.
Is it likely this is just due to towing?
Am I ok to drive to a garage to buy some coolant to top up with, or should I ask a neighbour to do that?
I haven’t checked under the bonnet yet, will do that tomorrow if there are things suggested to check (reading other threads, oil level and coolant level are the ones to look at).
Due to go on another trip with caravan in a couple of weeks so keen to make sure all is ok.
Thanks in a

I had a 900 mile round trip (Weds and Sun) towing the Eriba. All went well. Then today, Monday, the low coolant warning light came on. All was fine driving, with 3 short stops both ways it was 9.5 hours for each journey. The temperature gauge did not go above normal.
Am I ok to drive to a garage to buy some coolant to top up with, or should I ask a neighbour to do that?
I haven’t checked under the bonnet yet, will do that tomorrow if there are things suggested to check (reading other threads, oil level and coolant level are the ones to look at).
Due to go on another trip with caravan in a couple of weeks so keen to make sure all is ok.
Thanks in a
Hi @AlisonF Isn’t there a Header Tank for the coolant? (Sorry I haven’t looked and not able to check right now). If there is, it would normally have Min/Max levels shown.

Was just below min. Added some distilled water and getting a lift to get some coolant.

22FB34C6-94F8-421B-A0A0-87DA4FDA22A5.jpeg

95C8A353-8986-4180-8292-B9E8019BF406.jpeg

Shouldn’t lose a drop. Chance it wasn’t filled correctly when new or cap faulty or not on properly, but unlikely. Back to the dealer I suspect.

There is still coolant at the bottom of the header tank so you have not damaged the engine. My guess is the header tank lid was not screwed down tight so you lost some water on the drives.
Once the engine cooled overnight the level dropped to below the min sensor and hence the warning.

Top it up to between the min and max marking and make sure the cap is screwed down tight and all should be OK. If it happens again, then a trip to your dealer will be required.

Alan

There is still coolant at the bottom of the header tank so you have not damaged the engine. My guess is the header tank lid was not screwed down tight so you lost some water on the drives.
Once the engine cooled overnight the level dropped to below the min sensor and hence the warning.

Top it up to between the min and max marking and make sure the cap is screwed down tight and all should be OK. If it happens again, then a trip to your dealer will be required.

Alan
Off to a local VW independent for a top up this afternoon. I’ll ask them for their advice before going to dealer.

Local independent topped up coolant and oil (which was within limits). Suggested I keep an eye on both and go to dealer if either level drops

Thanks in a
Hi, just picked from the thread you tow an Eriba. Having just sold our Cali and bought an Eriba and waiting for a new California in April. I was wondering how you get along with the towing as well as the living. Do you have any thoughts around the 150 or 204? We've ordered a 204 but have chance to change to a 150.

Hi, just picked from the thread you tow an Eriba. Having just sold our Cali and bought an Eriba and waiting for a new California in April. I was wondering how you get along with the towing as well as the living. Do you have any thoughts around the 150 or 204? We've ordered a 204 but have chance to change to a 150.
I had a 204 4motion previously but only towed a trailer not an Eriba. The Beach only comes with 150 and no 4 motion in the UK now. I would definitely have ordered both if they were available. And most likely will change as soon as they are available…

I had a 204 4motion previously but only towed a trailer not an Eriba. The Beach only comes with 150 and no 4 motion in the UK now. I would definitely have ordered both if they were available. And most likely will change as soon as they are available…
Any more problems with the coolant level?

All seems ok at the monent. Thank you for aaking.
Morning Alison - might be an idea to keep a litre of mixed coolant in the Beach with you so you can add it, when the engine is cold, if you have to. You'll find a smallish bottle fits behind the engine battery or in the side pockets in the front doors.

Morning Alison - might be an idea to keep a litre of mixed coolant in the Beach with you so you can add it, when the engine is cold, if you have to. You'll find a smallish bottle fits behind the engine battery or in the side pockets in the front doors.
Did an 8 hour 200 mile trip y’day from Kirkby Stephen to Windermere, Ambleside, Coniston, Ravensglass, Eskdale / Boot, Wasdale Head, Seascale and then back via A595, A66 and M6. All was fine. ‘Just’ a 3 hour trip down to paternal grandmothers family area at Kirkby Lonsdale today. Van seems to be doing fine… the driver is exhausted and sitting drinking cold crisp white in the sunshine.

Back