Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Low Riding Bike Adapter for T6 Bike Rack

rippers

rippers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We are off to France/Spain and my son would like to take his Bike. We have a T6 Bike rack.
It has just dawned on me that because the bike sits higher we are not going to be able to use the low tolls.

I have seen people mount their bikes with Low Rider mounts where as you remove the front wheel and the bike tips down onto the fork mount.

Has any seen a way to do this on a T6/Thule bike rack? Or does anyone have any other ideas?

It is not an issue, just use the lorry toll booth. These are not height restricted and available for a van to use.

Alan

One option could be to take the wheels off and put the bike on upside down, then strap to the wheel tracks. Depending on the frame size one of the arms might reach the frame. Wheels inside the van. Worth a try and costs nothing.
Not sure how you would mount the fork mount to the wheel track.

so, if you over 2m the system will think you are class 2 and you will have to pay more unless (as i do) you just press the call button and say "Bonjour, je suis class 1, es ce que vous pouvez changer pour moi" and they do so immediately with no problem every time. As said, you can pass through the non-height limited booths no problem.

these days, depending on where you are going, you may not actually have many booths to pass through.

so, if you over 2m the system will think you are class 2 and you will have to pay more unless (as i do) you just press the call button and say "Bonjour, je suis class 1, es ce que vous pouvez changer pour moi" and they do so immediately with no problem every time. As said, you can pass through the non-height limited booths no problem.

Get a tag before you go for your windscreen. Then you just check fees are correct when you get home. If you have been overcharged for being over 2m (with bike / roof rack / surfboards) , you just email them and they refund the difference.

https://www.sanef.com/en/assistance/my-libert-t-toll-tag

or, if you are only taking one bike, why not just lay it down on it's side? (o in fact just lean it over, so put the wheels on the outside and lean it attached to the inner frame holder?

Have travelled in France with bikes and never found tolls a problem as stated above. Did once get mistaken for class 2 but remedied as babble said. A bigger concern is to remember not to lift the tailgate up with bike on and roof up!! Got away with no damage but close.