Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Low speed prop shaft vibration

Floats

Floats

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi guys,
Newbee here.
I recently bought a 2014, 31,000 km all wheel drive T5. Some times it seems to have a low speed vibration, soon after pull away, between 10 and 20 km/h. Although the vibration seem to eminate from the front end, it feels as if it might be prop shaft related.
The vibration is intermitted, lasts only about 2 seconds and some times occurring during straight line pull away as well as during a turn after pull away. I have not been able to identify any pattern as yet.
Any suggestion are much appreciated.
Regards
Chris
Cape Town

Hi guys,
Newbee here.
I recently bought a 2014, 31,000 km all wheel drive T5. Some times it seems to have a low speed vibration, soon after pull away, between 10 and 20 km/h. Although the vibration seem to eminate from the front end, it feels as if it might be prop shaft related.
The vibration is intermitted, lasts only about 2 seconds and some times occurring during straight line pull away as well as during a turn after pull away. I have not been able to identify any pattern as yet.
Regards
Chris
Cape Town
Not mentioned before on the Forum, as far as I can see.
1. Check wheel bearing float, all round.
2. Check wheel balance, or swop wheels L to R and F to Back.
3. The Prop shaft has a number of supports/bearings. These should be checked.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...521/subcategory/521010/part_id/3686814/lang/e

Front and Rear Drivetrain.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/main_group...tgruppen/1234567890/drive_standart/733/lang/e

Hi and welcome on your first post .
maybe some have this also but just don't feel it ....not everyone has the skils to define such vibrations as ab-normal.

Dual mass flywheel failing?

I'd get it checked before it grenades and takes your gbox with it!

Dual mass flywheel failing?

I'd get it checked before it grenades and takes your gbox with it!
According to his Info, he has a 2014 Auto, hence No DMF,

Hi guys,
Newbee here.
Regards
Chris
Cape Town
Could be the 4x4 haldex. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/4-motion-vibration.5297/#post-45912

Hi Guys,
Thank you, your inputs are much appreciated. Please keep them coming as I have not solved the problem yet. We are planning a 700 km round trip this weekend and might be able to give more info and feedback later.
To recap; low speed vibration for a second or two between 10 - 20 kmh. No vibration at higher speeds up to 160 kmh.
Have a great Cali weekend.
Chris
Cape Town

Hi Guys,
Feed back on this morning's test drive.
Firstly to clarify the vibration; it is NOT an audible 'buzzing' or 'brrrrr' type of vibe, but a low intensity, soundless, rotational, wobble sensation. It feels forward and low down, a typical out of balance prop shaft sensation.
Secondly, the wobble occurs at or about 21 to 23 kph, only for a split second during low power acceleration, straight line and during turns.
Smooth when coasting through the said speed range and also when cruising in the speed range with low or no power. The wobble phenomina is not detectable during hard acceleration, possibly because 21 through 23 kph (albeit in a 'bus') happens quite quick.
The vehicle has only done 31,000 km and although the previous owner did extensive 'off road' trips through Botswana, Namibia and Mozambique, the vehicle seems well looked after. The paint, upholstery, underneath and overall impression and condition is not of a vehicle that has been subjected to bundu bashing. Probably most likely to have been 'off tarmac' more than real hard core off road.
Our local VW agents have no previous knowledge or recollection of similar problems and suggested to book it is ASAP.
Thanks again for your comments and keep them coming, please.
Chris

Hi Briwy,
Good call, but NO.
We have owned a few 4x4s and are quite familiar with diff locks, traction control, etc. Except if is was accidently turned on and we have an indication fault, which is most unlikely with 31,000 km.
As mentioned earlier, we are leaving on a 700 km trip in the morning and we'll go through the diff lock and traction control selections and indications on the way, but I doubt if that is the problem.
We live in a small town a few km from Cape Town and will be passing through the 'Mother City'. We'll pop in to visit a larger VW service centre re the bad vibes and report back in a day or so.
Thanks for your suggestion, much appreciated. Once again, please keep those pointers and ideas coming.
Regards
Chris
Cape Town

Hi Guys,

just stumbled over that thread as I have exactly the same symptoms described in #8 by Chris.
That strange wobble between around 20-25kph during low power accelleration. It's a 2015 T5 with DSG but NO 4motion. So it might not be related to 4x4.
The problem extists for 1 year now and I have already showed it to 2 different VW service centers who both can reproduce it and do find it odd. Unfortunately, they both checked the whole car but couldn't find any cause and the extended VW warranty doesn't cover repairing or replacing parts just on suspiction.

So I'm also highly interested in any suggestions or solutions I can point the VW guys to.

Thanks and best Regards from Munich
Oliver

I may be way off base here, but I had a similar sensation on our T4 California. My local gurus tracked it down to the steering box. As you described there was no indication of a problem except on initial acceleration, or coming to a stop with the wheel turned slightly to approach the driveway.

As I say I might be talking complete rubbish, but my symptoms were very similar to what you describe. A complete new steering box sorted it.

PS: VW don’t sell parts of steering boxes, just the WHOLE THING.

Hi Guys,

just stumbled over that thread as I have exactly the same symptoms described in #8 by Chris.
That strange wobble between around 20-25kph during low power accelleration. It's a 2015 T5 with DSG but NO 4motion. So it might not be related to 4x4.
The problem extists for 1 year now and I have already showed it to 2 different VW service centers who both can reproduce it and do find it odd. Unfortunately, they both checked the whole car but couldn't find any cause and the extended VW warranty doesn't cover repairing or replacing parts just on suspiction.

So I'm also highly interested in any suggestions or solutions I can point the VW guys to.

Thanks and best Regards from Munich
Oliver
Have you tried swopping the tyres front to back?

I'd check all drive joints for any play/wear. Drive shafts and prop since it's a 4M.
Your mileage isn't high but the temperatures and dust may have caused a problem.

Past experience with fault finding on prop shafts is that the shaft has to be disconnected and the joint moved slowly by hand in all directions, surprising how they wear in one spot.

Hi Guys,
Thanks again for your comments. I have just returned from 5 weeks in the UK and haven't had the opportunity to do anything about it for a while.
Oliver, sorry to hear that you have had the same experience, unfortunately out side of warranty but thank you for the report.
Regards
Chris
Cape Town

Thanks for all your comments guys!

Some more input from my side:
The vibration is increasing when the car is getting warm. So in the first minutes after a cold start I feel almost nothing. Then it's getting more obvious after a while. Most noticable it is for example when I get stuck in a traffic jam on a highway ride during stop&go when slowly accellerating within that 20-25kph speed-range.
Additionally I noticed that it's not just about accelleration, but more about a driving condition where some torque is required. So I also feel it when driving up a hill with constant speed between around 20-25kph.

+ Chris: Can you maybe confirm that? Just to isolate the issue even more.

Best regards
Oliver

Hi Oliver,
I have not noticed the wobble increasing as the vehicle warms up to normal operating temp. I am retired, live in a small town and the Calli is not our daily driver. Therefore, I am not subjected to heavy traffic or traffic jams and I dont drive it that often, but I will pay more attention to the problem in order for us to obtain as much info as possible.
Here is what we know so far.
It occurs on both 2 and all wheel drive models
DSG only???
20 to 25 km per hour
Not a tire issue, as you have tried 3 different sets
Low power acceleration through 20 to 25 kph
Low power cruise 20 to 25 kph
Straight line as well as turning
Up hill + constant 20 to 25kph
Not during hard acceleration, probably goes through the critical speed too quickly
Not during power off coasting

I am quite surprised that no one esle has complained, yet.
Regards
Chris

Hi Guys,
I have had the 45,000 km done and our local VW shop who adjusted the gearbox on recommendation from the factory. NO CHANGE. The local shop and the factory denies any knowledge or other reports of vibration and suggest we have another look at the next service. The next service is obviously at 60,000 km and the end of the warranty. Problem ‘solved’
Except for Oliver #11 and Zennorboy #12, only one guy, Alex, e-mail me a few days ago with the same vibration on a 2006, 2.5 TDI 6 speed Tiptronic with 232,000 km
OK, SO PLEASE CONFIRM; no other complaints re the 23km/hour vibration.
Regards
Chris
Cape Town

Hi all,

I'm still struggling with the problem. On one of my last appointments at VW service I addressed it again, they did a lot of testing and finally showed me an almost new T6 (DSG, front wheel drive) for comparison that had exactly the same symptoms. :shockedo_O. They let me drive the T6 and I could experience it by myself. I can imagine that much more T5/T6 have it but it might just not be obvious enough for the drivers. But anyway, according to them they can't help me as long as the car is in running condition and the root cause is not clearly identifiable. The vibration itself is not enough of a fault to justify disassembling the whole drivetrain. :(

Vibrating Regards
Oliver

I have a Jan-2017 T6 204DSG LWB Caravelle that has 12,000miles which has started this...
Local garage (indy) reckon is definately not wheel balancing, and yesterday I had the wheel alignment checked / tweaked again on a Hunter. Happens under light acceleration around 50mph+.
Dropping into neutral - it goes away. Hmmm.

I have a Jan-2017 T6 204DSG LWB Caravelle that has 12,000miles which has started this...
Local garage (indy) reckon is definately not wheel balancing, and yesterday I had the wheel alignment checked / tweaked again on a Hunter. Happens under light acceleration around 50mph+.
Dropping into neutral - it goes away. Hmmm.

Hi this vibration does seem to be a characteristic of the 4motion vehicles many people have mentioned the issue over the years and there appears to be no fix the only thing I can suggest is to have a garage make sure the rear differential is in line with the vehicle the carrier is adjustable. This is a visual alignment there are no special tools to do this, it involves lining the center fin of the diff up with the center of the transfer box at the front.

Could it be possible differential wear caused by uneven tyre wear?

Uneven tyre wear (one replaced whilst other side is part worn) will result in different rotation speeds across an axle.
Depending on how sensitive the VW drive system is this could cause issues?

I believe BMW have a 2% tolerance on tyre wear across an axle whilst Porsche has zero.

Only a theory.

Could it be possible differential wear caused by uneven tyre wear?

Uneven tyre wear (one replaced whilst other side is part worn) will result in different rotation speeds across an axle.
Depending on how sensitive the VW drive system is this could cause issues?

I believe BMW have a 2% tolerance on tyre wear across an axle whilst Porsche has zero.

Only a theory.

Hi @sidepod that is a very good theory vw limits are no more than 2mm front to back and 0 across the axle.

Hi a shot in the dark but no one has mentioned the drive shaft itself Old prop shafts had to be balanced or they vibrated. ?Could this produce this vibration.

Back