Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Low voltage… any ideas?

M

majorbooboo

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hiya, I’m not that good when it comes to electrics. I have a 100w solar panel installed by Roger Donoghue. We are in Italy at the moment in bright sunshine yet the panel is only kicking out 9.6v, hence no charging going on. I’ve checked the connections at the Victron MPPT controller. The cable connection on the roof is weathered but intact. Could the low voltage be down to a connection issue or should I be looking at other causes? 2B6562BD-0398-4DF9-852F-B8B52712F561.jpeg

C5D72036-8091-4B41-B4D9-3E41E541DDF4.jpeg

Wait for reply from Roger,

I’m guessing but would say that there is a loose connection where the red (faded white cable) goes into the connector. Looks like it has been stretched and seems to be exposed wire from photo. It may have pulled out of the plastic over time over time the roof has raised. Take the plastic connector apart and check the wire is touching the internal contact.

The kits tend to use curly (pigs tail) cables now as they allow stretch).

What are the lights on the Victron? If it is a solid blue on the bottom one it means that you're connected fine both sides and you're in bulk mode. It could be that everything is fine and the batteries are charged - in which case (I think) the Victron goes into float and just trickle charges.

I have a flashing blue light.
Which means, I believe, one side is not working. Either your solar panel has packed in, you have a broken connection from the panel to the Victron or the same from the Victron to the battery. Your battery connections may be loose or the fuse at on the battery + cable has popped.

Do you have a multimeter available?

Hi drop me an email when you can, with the historic tab screenshot from the Victron.

Chaps&Chapesses - I don't monitor this forum often . The notifications are really hit and miss, so I've turned them off completely. It's alwayy best to drop me an email.

BR

Roger