Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Low voltage while charging

A

abc123

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
Hi,

I have a ocean 4motion 199 bhp 2019, and having problem with start battery and engine starts. Somehow my start battery is getting discharged.

Seeing strange things on the control panel. When I took the attached photo, before engine start, the leisure batteries was almost full, 12.7V. After engine start, and while driving, the panel stated that batteries was charging, but the voltage dropped to 12.4V? Have seen voltage as low as 12.1V while charging as well.

If i turn the lights on, it will start to charge at voltage above 13V.

While engine is on, and when its charging, shouldn't voltage always be 13V?

Is this some kind of leakage from start battery to leisure batteries?

IMG20220604142811.jpg

Hi, not the same thing. When the leisure battery back flow to the starter battery you get a negative readout on the display.

For me, there is a positive readout, boost charging but with low voltage.

I've been wild camping 6 nights without running engine or hook up battery dropped to 10%. Driving has put it up to 80 % but the voltage is still low. Its normal. I will need a hook up Connect to sort mine out overnight. I have booked hook up for Friday. I will have been 10 days off grid and everything's run fine. I'm impressed

I've been wild camping 6 nights without running engine or hook up battery dropped to 10%. Driving has put it up to 80 % but the voltage is still low. Its normal. I will need a hook up Connect to sort mine out overnight. I have booked hook up for Friday. I will have been 10 days off grid and everything's run fine. I'm impressed

But the question is, what is your voltage during actual charging? When you see a positive amp readout on the panel, in my case boost charging, 20 amps with two arrows, combined with low voltage, 12.4V (attached picture in first post). I have not seen that before, and think something must be wrong?

You have 4 voltage sources which are intermittently connected in parallel, one of which drops off line intermittently.

Battery range voltage accompanied by a positive charge suggests that:

• Alternator is off line
  • Split charge relay is closed
  • Starter battery has a higher voltage than leisure batteries.

All the above are to be expected from time to time with the system as described.

I
But the question is, what is your voltage during actual charging? When you see a positive amp readout on the panel, in my case boost charging, 20 amps with two arrows, combined with low voltage, 12.4V (attached picture in first post). I have not seen that before, and think something must be wrong?
See that too. Its normal. Sometimes the leisure batteries drain into the start battery giving a negative amps when driving as the blue motion alternator goes offline. Its all normal I am now parked again. 3 days in and 11.6v but 70%. My voltage is getting low again

B2540384-70A7-4F96-A300-26D13DEA2118.jpegDid you check all batteries and by multimeter? Same results?

This is old cali scheme, but the same system. First try to check relay.

Back