Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lower back pain

44Whitehall

44Whitehall

Vehicle
T5 Beach
I have recurring lower back pain which is mild most of the time, but it flares-up after an hour or more in the driver's seat of my California Beach.

Does anyone else on here have similar issues with the California captain seats, and/or have suggestions of seating solutions for lower back pain?

Thank you!

I have recurring lower back pain which is mild most of the time, but it flares-up after an hour or more in the driver's seat of my California Beach.

Does anyone else on here have similar issues with the California captain seats, and/or have suggestions of seating solutions for lower back pain?

Thank you!
Fortunately no, or I would never have been able to do my present adventure to Norway and back,
Have you always had this problem in the Beach, and did you have the vehicle from new?
Lumbar Support adjusted?
Has the seat cushion lost shape compared to the Passenger seat?

It is certainly not a problem that has been mentioned on the Forum as far as I am aware.

Some say the Cali seats are rubbisch , others have no complaints ....i find no problem driving 1000km in one day , if i do 100km my back feels thesame
You only can go out from your problems with you back , thats the main factor , the seats are all thesame.

Thanks, chaps.

The van is relatively new - low mileage three years old. The seat is in good nick hence my concern - I'll revisit the seat settings tomorrow when I should be feeling more comfortable and see how I go from there. I don't have another vehicle to contrast this with and so it is likely that I am blaming the Cali unfairly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, chaps.

The van is relatively new - low mileage three years old. The seat is in good nick hence my concern - I'll revisit the seat settings tomorrow when I should be feeling more comfortable and see how I go from there. I don't have another vehicle to contrast this with and so it is likely that I am blaming the Cali unfairly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be 100% honest , the Cali seats are not the best seats i ever had in my own cars , to less side support imo.
The best seats i had was in my Toyota Corolla GTI 16v back in the '90s ....
But hey it's a van based verhicle so what to expect ? You could search for a better captain seat if it is important to you it is worth looking at.

I sympathise. I also get lower back pain. A good car seat is usually the best place to be as good lumber support is great. I agree that the Cali seat is not particularly comfortable but I don't find it sets my back off particularly.

I did used to get that in a Citroen BX that I used to have. It was a brand new car so nothing to do with the age of the seat. I found that one of those bead seat covers did actually help. Looks totally naff but who's looking. Not sure if you can even still get them though - haven't seen one in years.

I have never had an issue with seating in the Cali and have under taken many long trips the high seating position of a van is one reason I am happy over sitting in a car where you feel you are sitting on the floor. In the Cali you get out in many cars you get up to leave the drivers seat

I sympathise. I also get lower back pain. A good car seat is usually the best place to be as good lumber support is great. I agree that the Cali seat is not particularly comfortable but I don't find it sets my back off particularly.

I did used to get that in a Citroen BX that I used to have. It was a brand new car so nothing to do with the age of the seat. I found that one of those bead seat covers did actually help. Looks totally naff but who's looking. Not sure if you can even still get them though - haven't seen one in years.
Still available.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...eat+bea.TRS0&_nkw=car+seat+beads&_sacat=82099

I suffer from low back pain in some situations too, but not so far in my Cali. A small piece of memory foam /cushion might help.

Is your vehicle a manual or DSG? Are the pedal distances comfortable? Have you played with different seat/steering wheel positions? For me, the seat rake makes a lot of difference (very upright is best for me). Hope this helps

Charles

Don't know if this may help.
I too suffer from back pain and sometimes I've found that the comfiest position isn't necessarily the best for the pain. Also slightly adjusting the position occasionally on a long trip seems to help. Main thing for me when it's bad is stopping regularly and getting a bit of movement going.

http://www.ergonomicssimplified.com/tips/driving

Like others have suggested in regards to adjustments.
My Wife said that she was getting back pain. I suggested adjusting the seat back and lumbar support which she did and cured the problem. I do find that I have to sit in the centre of my seat with no slouching to get the full comfort benefit of the seat. Only seems to one correct sitting position.

I have back issues and was worried about the fixed height, but the sitting position is not a problem and after a recent back spasm, I had to do several long journeys, and my discomfort actually improved while in the Cali.
I have DSG, so no left leg movements, often we sit in cars a) too far back b) too reclined, which means that when we depress the clutch we twist a little, adding to back discomfort.
Try a more upright position, and a little closer so your hip stays still when you press the clutch.

Am finding the driving position terrible, the wheel doesn't come down or 'back' enough, the height is too low and the lumbar support is minimal to say the least. Great pity following my Ford C Max which was brilliant for hours of comfortable driving. Admittedly, couldn't make tea in it but perhaps the VW philoshopy is don't make make it too comfortable 'else would the gas rings ever get used?
Must try and be positive here, have bought cushions for the seat base, have put washers under the seat tray and seat runners to raise seat and found a seat thingy with the beads in the back at Lidl for no money. Cut the base/ seat bit off and have hung the back bit under the Inka covers which is the solution for me at least. Being 6'3" and with the posture of an anglpoise lamp has it's downside so perhaps more tea brewing and less distance work.

Am finding the driving position terrible, the wheel doesn't come down or 'back' enough, the height is too low and the lumbar support is minimal to say the least. Great pity following my Ford C Max which was brilliant for hours of comfortable driving. Admittedly, couldn't make tea in it but perhaps the VW philoshopy is don't make make it too comfortable 'else would the gas rings ever get used?
Must try and be positive here, have bought cushions for the seat base, have put washers under the seat tray and seat runners to raise seat and found a seat thingy with the beads in the back at Lidl for no money. Cut the base/ seat bit off and have hung the back bit under the Inka covers which is the solution for me at least. Being 6'3" and with the posture of an anglpoise lamp has it's downside so perhaps more tea brewing and less distance work.
The joy of DSG/ACC means that the pedals are not touched for long periods, you can position the seat close to the wheel, reduce the recline and let your feet can wander about with abandon. Otherwise you are right, the driving position is pants compared to most modern cars.

How are you getting on now Ed? Although only 5'11", I am also really struggling with the driver's seat. I've tried a variety of foam pads/wedges on the base and lumber cushions but with no meaningful improvement. I can drive a Polo for 8 hrs without any issue yet find 20 mins in a T5 SE brings on pain and loss of sensation down left leg. Any advice etc would be most appreciated. Did you raise the front or rear of the seat base using washers and if so by how much?
I'm getting pretty dispirited as the van was bought for retirement but if I can't improve the seat, I'll have to sell the van.

On longer journeys I use a small cushion for extra lumbar support but find regular breaks with a short walk and some stretches helps.

Thanks Tetley2 - I've tried lots different cushions etc including a custom made back support, normally reserved for aircrew but no success to date.

Out of interest, do any members know whether the T6 seat differs from the T5 bar the headrest?

Thanks Tetley2 - I've tried lots different cushions etc including a custom made back support, normally reserved for aircrew but no success to date.

Out of interest, do any members know whether the T6 seat differs from the T5 bar the headrest?
Don't know how you're getting on @Yorvik as it's a while ago now but for what it's worth my T5 SE was one of the most comfortable seats I've ever had in a car or van. But the T6.1 is a different story. Uncomfortable from the start and twinge-y the next day! Seems it's horses for courses...

Back