Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lower Bed...the dip

Private_Kelly

Private_Kelly

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
After making the lower bed in the routine manner there is a slight height difference between the shelf / foam part of the bed and the seat part of the bed.Is it just me or is this a normal issue on the downstairs bed. It is nearly flat but not quite and I find it very strange that it is not completely flat. I would say the height difference is abour 25 cm or so but i sleep feet to cab and my hip rolls around the Dip as i call it making it a little uncomfortable. I am thinking of buying some foam to place underneath the rear shelf to raise that part of the bed in an effort to make it flat. My question is, is this normal in the cali and if it is how have people circumvented this problem.

After making the lower bed in the routine manner there is a slight height difference between the shelf / foam part of the bed and the seat part of the bed.Is it just me or is this a normal issue on the downstairs bed. It is nearly flat but not quite and I find it very strange that it is not completely flat. I would say the height difference is abour 25 cm or so but i sleep feet to cab and my hip rolls around the Dip as i call it making it a little uncomfortable. I am thinking of buying some foam to place underneath the rear shelf to raise that part of the bed in an effort to make it flat. My question is, is this normal in the cali and if it is how have people circumvented this problem.
25 cm is a big difference. Is that correct?

Could you post a photo because I’m not sure exactly what you mean. The rear metal shelf can be in 2 positions, high or low, and depending on which position it is in then the Foam mattress will need to be about 2.5 cm thick in the high position or 5 cm thick if in the lower position.

How long have you had the vehicle?

Hi MozWilliams
I have the same issue with the lower bed of my T6 Beach. Maybe you wrongly wrote 25cm instead of 2-3cm...but the point is that is not comfortable to sleep on it, even with a mattress.
I have just bought a 7cm thk mattress, but the difference between the shelf and the seat still remains.
I had the doubt to not properly lay the rear bench, but I found a lot of pictures on the web that shows this gap and now alsoyour post...Any other suggestion is appreciated.

Inviato dal mio ONEPLUS A3003 utilizzando Tapatalk

Hi Elena
Yes...my mistake. The dip was about 25mm or about 1 inch. I solved the problem by buying a sheet of foam and placing it on top of the parcel shelf and underneath the shelf cushion.
I used an online company called eFoam.co.uk. They will cut the foam to size and delivery is free. The bed is now nice and flat.

Hi Elena
Yes...my mistake. The dip was about 25mm or about 1 inch. I solved the problem by buying a sheet of foam and placing it on top of the parcel shelf and underneath the shelf cushion.
I used an online company called eFoam.co.uk. They will cut the foam to size and delivery is free. The bed is now nice and flat.
Which position is the rear parcel shelf in, Low or High?

Hi Welsh Gas
My parcel shelf was on the high position. I thought i posted some photos but they didn’t seem to appear.

High position and the bench seat flat then from rear including parcel shelf to toe is completely flat.

Are you using topper?

If you have the VW comfort mattress then the rear parcel shelf third is thicker than the other two thirds and this is because it is designed for the parcel shelf to be in the lower position.

Sorry Welsh Gas
My shelf was on the LOW position.

A98A1C93-8BAC-43A9-AD4D-2C4D4E5C9AED.jpeg

Now I see, my issue is not on that third (the shelf), but on the other two: the sitting of the bench is higher than the back, the bench is not completely a flat surface. Look at the picture, watching the bench near the side panel, it is visible that that the seat is not at the same level of the back. Also with a mattress this still remains, and the bed is not comfortable due to these dip and slope (It is not a matter of mattress hardness).
9a4743ee9f1db0fb5458165548713025.jpg

Thank you for your help and suggestions ( Welsh Gas and Granny Jen ) but i have now resolved my issue by the insertion of a 1 inch thick piece of foam and i am now happy. I will add some photos later to show the problem more clearly and how i sorted it. However Elena seems to have very a very unlevel bench.

However Elena seems to have very a very unlevel bench.

yes, it is so. Please, if someone can give me a feedback about bench of T6 beach...It seems that bench of Ocean is not so unlevel.

Now I see, my issue is not on that third (the shelf), but on the other two: the sitting of the bench is higher than the back, the bench is not completely a flat surface. Look at the picture, watching the bench near the side panel, it is visible that that the seat is not at the same level of the back. Also with a mattress this still remains, and the bed is not comfortable due to these dip and slope (It is not a matter of mattress hardness).
9a4743ee9f1db0fb5458165548713025.jpg

thats normal for a 3 seater beach

I have this too, high setting is too high and low setting is too low. Foam would be a solution but does anyone supply a proprietary finished cushion that will make the bed level?

Tom
PS Mine is a T5

Go to a foam supplier and get them to cut you a piece of foam to what size you want.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yes. I used efoam. They are very good and will cut to shape any type of foam.Postage is free as well.

I presume you don’t have the VW Comfort mattress? If that is the case then Foam would be the best way out.

Or this
https://www.comfortzleisure.net/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=97

Thanks all, I purchase one like the one Welsh Gas suggested and which arrived yesterday. In the interests of space, we don't use a mattress topper, they all seem to be rather bulky. It should do the job yet I don't really understand why VW don't make them level in the first place?

Tom

Back