Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lowered/Mac Strut suspension

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Looking for something else, I stumbled on this.
I’ve never really considered anything other than double wishbone setups before. Makes interesting reading.

Reducing ride height makes roll worse. True story.

I’ve never really considered anything other than double wishbone setups before. Makes interesting reading.

I had adjustable pollybushes fitted which meant that the suspension angles could be set correctly at the lowered height. Not just alignment, toe in/out.

Useful reading which confirms the need to consider the implications of changing one aspect of suspension without thought to the hidden side effects.

“Reducing ride height makes roll worse. True story.”

I think that must be a misunderstanding, or at least an over-generalisation. As the article suggests, this would only happen in fairly extreme lowering situations where the control arm is effectively tilting upwards, inner bush below hub centre, thus radically altering the suspension geometry. In practice a 30mm lowered Cali doesn't reach that extreme and body roll is still reduced by the lowered CoG. But the point is that a slammed look might lead you into this sort of unexpected consequence.

“Reducing ride height makes roll worse. True story.”

I think that must be a misunderstanding, or at least an over-generalisation. As the article suggests, this would only happen in fairly extreme lowering situations where the control arm is effectively tilting upwards, inner bush below hub centre, thus radically altering the suspension geometry. In practice a 30mm lowered Cali doesn't reach that extreme and body roll is still reduced by the lowered CoG. But the point is that a slammed look might lead you into this sort of unexpected consequence.
Agreed. It would be good to see some photos/measurements of a standard/lowered Cali lower arms for comparison.

What’s important here, in my understanding, roll centre (self explanatory) sits below CofG. The further away from CofG the roll centre is the worse the handling gets.

Any amount of lowering increases the distance between roll centre and CofG, despite the CofG moving downward with reduced ride height.

Back