Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lowering a Cali

Farley

Farley

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I am thinking of a modest reduction in vehicle height for Voldemort (he who must not be named). Partly cosmetic but partly because I have heard they ride a bit better. A little less roll in the corners.
I’m thinking genuine VW lowering kit, 30 mm as on the sportline van.
Anyone had it done? Seen any advantages
Also, going with a VW dealer mod to maintain warranty, is this classed as modifying for insurance purposes? Should I inform them and do you think it would affect the premium?
Farl

I went for the 30mm Vw option and can recommend. I’ve also informed my insurance. It didn’t affect it very much.

Mine was lowered made a huge difference to body roll and looked soo much better . i did inform comforts insurance and at the time because they were vw springs no additional premium

I had it done to get Cali in garage. No regrets. To my eye makes little difference to appearance. Ride is firmer. You decide if that’s a good thing..

You should definitely inform your insurers (made no difference to my premium)

Had mine done Farl and loads better (30mm vw kit) fit at Wolsey vw so near to you, looks good and drives lots better

We've only gone for HD Anti-roll bars on our 4Mo and find its handling perfectly, certainly wouldn't say it wallows. Our every day ride is a Golf GTI Anniversary which has lowered suspension, so we are used to good handling. We wild camp most of the time, so any loss of already minimal ground clearance would not be desirable. Yes they do look better lowered though.

Had mine done Farl and loads better (30mm vw kit) fit at Wolsey vw so near to you, looks good and drives lots better
Thanks Matey,
Wolsey is my local dealer. Got a Golf GTE on order there starting the build next Monday (ha! wrong forum...).
So... just out of curiosity, how much did they charge???
Farl

Best thing I did. Thought the handling was ok on original springs but I was getting seasick! Had the Cali 2 weeks before I put the VW 30mm lowered springs on and Heavy duty antiroll bar. Looks better too although subtle.

Thanks Matey,
Wolsey is my local dealer. Got a Golf GTE on order there starting the build next Monday (ha! wrong forum...).
So... just out of curiosity, how much did they charge???
Farl
Nice I like the GTE, more exciting stuff for you! The price was £440 fitted for the springs.

Nice one looking forward to a pic
Pics before and after will be forthcoming....
I have a very small metallic rattling sound under acceleration as well so hopefully that will also be done. Rear bumper protector arrived today and I bumped into a fella who can retrofit Apple air play as well! It’s been a good day....
Farl

Yeah you’ll want to get it checked afterwards, but that seems pretty expensive. I went somewhere local that had a Hunter laser alignment setup, that was 80 for checking and realignment, but as it turned out they were all within their allowances so they just charged me 30 for the checking.

Yeah you’ll want to get it checked afterwards, but that seems pretty expensive. I went somewhere local that had a Hunter laser alignment setup, that was 80 for checking and realignment, but as it turned out they were all within their allowances so they just charged me 30 for the checking.
Yep, that was the dealer price. I think I’ll hunt around....
Farl

National Tyres....£35!
WOW! That is a difference!
Apparently only the fronts are adjusted, the reaers are fixed?
Farl

Nice one looking forward to a pic
Hut hum!!!
Not pic...
You mean
Before and after pics (see the S??) from the same angles so tight wads like me cam compare.
OK? :thumb

Hut hum!!!
Not pic...
You mean
Before and after pics (see the S??) from the same angles so tight wads like me cam compare.
OK? :thumb
Before and after from the same angle taken from the same height.
But.... not posted until it is done of course so, Wednesday night or Thursday morning. I’ll have a tape rule in the picS as well. Proper scientific stuff! Ha!
Farl

National Tyres....£35!
WOW! That is a difference!
Apparently only the fronts are adjusted, the reaers are fixed?
Farl
Perhaps they only did a basic tracking check on the front wheels? There is some adjustment for the wheel geometry at the rear. Mine was laser aligned when lowered from new, and required some adjustment to the geometry at the rear as well as the front.

I had mine done at vw york a couple of weeks after purchase, the main reason was to get the front end down as i thought it looked very high and didn't sit level to the naked eye, looks loads better only down side slightly firmer ride as I expected, I paid £450 supplied and fitted and laser alignment, you need to push these main dealers, they all want your business but will also rip you off if you let them

I'll be fitting Bilstein B14's over the next week or so, we fit these a lot to Transporters as you can adjust the ride height. I've had these one very T5 i've owned and they are awesome. I'll do some before and after photos as we do it.

Back