Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lowering springs

J

jerrythegerman

VIP Member
I fancy the van going a little lower than stock now it's well out of warranty.

Is there just a spring set the reduces the height or do I have to go for a set of matched shockers too?

I'm not after firming it up or turning it into a track car, just for looks.

It's already got the sportpack rims 18 inch from new.

I'm riding on 18" dakars and the VW 30mm lowering spring kit ...I've heard they are made by eibach ...

You are correct vw do indeed use the eibach springs I have heard that the h&r springs are also
Good :thumb :thumb

Calikev said:
You are correct vw do indeed use the eibach springs I have heard that the h&r springs are also
Good :thumb :thumb

Kev is right H&R springs are very good and i would only fit these or eibach ,as they both come highly recommeded in the vw world cool

jerrythegerman said:
So with or without shocks?

Are they Cali specific and if so, hows the ride?

depends what your shocks are like what ride you want to gain out of it and ride height and how deep your pockets are :D ;)

my cali is on standard shocks ,but you'll find they are uprated for the cali being a fat girl .. :D

They are in fine fettle and I just want to drop it a bit really.

I've just found Kernow Vw that sells them - 40mm. Is that the very same member on here?

Awsome are a H&R dealer too I think (where the van currently is, see oil cooler post!!).

The listing only say -40mm for a T5 van. I understood that the Cali's leftthe factory with the same set up as a Caravelle, which I think is slightly lower to start off with.

jerrythegerman said:
They are in fine fettle and I just want to drop it a bit really.

I've just found Kernow Vw that sells them - 40mm. Is that the very same member on here?

Awsome are a H&R dealer too I think (where the van currently is, see oil cooler post!!).

The listing only say -40mm for a T5 van. I understood that the Cali's leftthe factory with the same set up as a Caravelle, which I think is slightly lower to start off with.

your right the caravelle standard is dropped slightly over a t5 or a cali ...

Kernow vw i don't know if it's the same guy sorry ....

if you look at my photo on my profile you can see how mine sits on the 18"s and 30mm springs ,but it maybe slightly lower ,as i didn't measure before and after because vw fitted before delivery.
get the best which will probably mean the more expensive springs ,as there are alot of cheaper springs out there ,but to honest i know alot of t5 owners and most come back and say the h&r eibach for the vw's . i think 40mm drop would be ok .

I priced up buying directly from Eibach when I had mine done and they were much more expensive than buying the VW accessory. Not what I expected.

Made by Eibach and are very good springs. Drop is about -30mm with the VW springs.

cheers

smgcowfold said:
Made by Eibach and are very good springs. Drop is about -30mm with the VW springs.

cheers

I'm happy with my eibach Vw spring & wheel setup and the height and stance is good for the bus ..I'm still still a boy at heart and wanted lower ,but glad I didn't in the end .. Lol ... Alex at smg will do you a good deal fella and I'm getting some stuff done on my bus at the smg open day :)

Well whilst the Cali is in for the transmission cooler, I've ordered the H&R springs (awsome are a H&R dealer) and am getting them to fit them.

Apparently its a 40mm drop on those.

I'll report back on the ride quality but have asked for them to keep the standard ones for me to collect.

Should look good with the 18" rims.

Nice one we will have to compare i am having
The vw lowering springs and 18'ns fitted next week
At the smg meet :thumb :thumb

Kev,

Can you do before and after pictures from the side?

Us boys at heart love to sacrifice the ride quality for better looks and cornering ability by lowering our buses :) lol

I must be reliving my youth as the loan car they have given me a tweaked cupra r and I feel a right boy racer! I'll never complain about the fuel consumption on the van again either!!

Maybe it's that which has convinced me to get the van pimped a bit more!!

choplee said:
Us boys at heart love to sacrifice the ride quality for better looks and cornering ability by lowering our buses :) lol

I had my van lowered from new to reduce the body roll I experienced test driving the demonstrator. I've got 17" thunder alloys but have a hankering for 18" dakars for the looks but am worried about making the ride too harsh for passengers.

Have you noticed much difference with 18" wheels?

Custardtart said:
choplee said:

I had my van lowered from new to reduce the body roll I experienced test driving the demonstrator. I've got 17" thunder alloys but have a hankering for 18" dakars for the looks but am worried about making the ride too harsh for passengers.

Have you noticed much difference with 18" wheels?

I drove a demo Berg which has dakars and the ride was hard from the tyres with alittle comfort body roll ..
The springs with the wheels and tyres i notice get rid of some roll and holds the Cali well on bends etc ,but it is not very unforgiving on our lovely roads..the wider lower profile rubber on the slightly wider rims ,does make the ride harder ..
Best thing to do is to get a ride in one with 18" and dropped springs :)
You going to smg ???

I've asked the question a few times whenever the topic of 18" wheels and/or low springs comes up and the general opinion seems to be the 18" are harsher.

Also, I spoke to the local main dealer and he had put 18" wheels on his T5 van and said it was a harsher ride and he wouldn't recommend it for a van used for touring although he loved the look and was pleased. He's offered me a go to see what it's like but haven't remembered to have my drivers licence whenever I've been there yet.

I really like the photos of Martin's van with 17" thunder alloys and the running rails - maybe that's a better option for me.

Thanks for the advice/reply.

Mine is also being lowered at weekend and I am keeping my thunders, so I will give you a before and after opinion, as Lee says if you can get to cowfold this weekend there will be some good variations to look at

No I won't be there - hopefully the gallery will get some more photos...

Have fun.

Martin said:
Mine is also being lowered at weekend and I am keeping my thunders, so I will give you a before and after opinion, as Lee says if you can get to cowfold this weekend there will be some good variations to look at

You just couldn't resist anymore Martin ,so let's see how low do you dare to go ..:) lol

Only 30mm, it took a year to convince the missus just to do that, I told her it will cure travel sickness