Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Making more space in the van...and finding rust!

vw_liz

vw_liz

Hello everyone,

We decided to remove the fresh water tank as we do not use it (we use bottled water and can't be bothered making sure the fresh water system is clean) and could do with the extra space.

This post is to show how we got on....

First thing was to remove 4 screws holding the tank covering, then you can see the tank.

Next was to disconnect the wiring and the two hoses from the tank. The hoses were very stubborn but after heating them with a hair-dryer for a couple of minutes they popped off.

Next a bolt holding the tank to the rail and a couple of screws were removed. I thought at this stage it would lift straight off but something was stopping it. A quick look under the van and I saw that the cap from the drain needed to be removed first. With this removed the tank lifted off.

This is when I found the rust! :shocked

Where the drain tap goes through the floor of the van was a big hole that had been "repaired" by just filling the gaps with some black gunk.

More rust was found after removing the insulation covering the wheel arch...

With the tank removed we are left with a really useful space! :thumb

Next jobs:-

Proper repair for the rust!
Cover the wheel arch/tidy the space.

Cheers,

Jim & Liz

tank.jpg rustHole.jpg archRust.jpg final.jpg

Not sure I could live without plumbed in water, like the convenience of just turning on the tap too much. But I do think they went over the top fitting an 80 litre tank.

Handy little cubby hole though. Think slightly later vans didn't have the door? Then the water tank got moved to the other side when they went gas only in the late T4s, guess that had less capacity too.

Lucky finding that rust. I'm going to get all paranoid now...

TwentyOneThirtyFive said:
Not sure I could live without plumbed in water, like the convenience of just turning on the tap too much. But I do think they went over the top fitting an 80 litre tank.
Fair point - I figure if I sell the van or decide having on board water becomes important to me I can very easily put it back. While the tank is out I think I will give it a good clean and repair the water level sensor - couple of rusty/dodgy solder points.

Think slightly later vans didn't have the door?
Ah that makes sense - I thought I had just been lucky that my hadn't snapped off yet!

Lucky finding that rust. I'm going to get all paranoid now...
Indeed! - I would say its worth while checking it out to be safe, its easy to remove the tank and deal with surface rust, not so much fun patching rusty holes!

Blimey !!! Are you really that short of space?

Bit drastic. :eek:

I couldn't live without the fresh water. It's easy to clean with Miltons.
Drain and flush each trip. Done.

It may be worth investigating the floor below the waste water tank too.
Slightly more difficult to get at!!!

S.

sidepod said:
Blimey !!! Are you really that short of space?

Bit drastic. :eek:
:lol: I guess it is a bit drastic! :crazy I realise this will not be a mod everyone rushes to do but with 3 girls (1 year old twins and a 2 year old) we really do need every inch of space! Also I want a space for tools and things that I don't want the kids to get their hands on and with the cupboard not accessible from the living area it seems perfect. We haven't done a trip as a family yet, this summer will be the first!

I also like the fact that it is 100% reversible, so I stick it back to factory spec when needed.

sidepod said:
It may be worth investigating the floor below the waste water tank too.
Slightly more difficult to get at!!!
Good point, I'm hoping the rust has been contained along the join of the floor to the side - But after I clean it all out I will be able to see better.

Cheers,

Jim

Back