Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Manchester and Leicester campsite / stopover

Ting Tong

Ting Tong

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We are dropping kids off at Uni this weekend and need somewhere to camp in or near Manchester on Friday night and Leicester on Saturday. Any suggestions greatly received. We don't mind no facilities but Mrs L draws a line at multi-storey city centre car parks. We are not members of either Caravan club.

TIA

I would be looking at something like Britstops.
Nice country pub.
I`ve no info on them but there must be a few options. :thumb

I have stayed at Strawberry Wood 20 miles south of Manchester near Jodrell Bank. Pouring with rain, but seemed a nice woodland site which suited me as I like being closely surrounded by trees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

searchforsites.co.uk is very good for suggestions. Use the map to search.

I would be looking at something like Britstops.
Nice country pub.
I`ve no info on them but there must be a few options. :thumb
Thanks. I don't have the Britstop book and the only one for Manchester I can find on line just mentions Britstop 603 without the name. There's the Hawthorns Campsite in Oldham too. The Reservoir Inn Britstop in Leicester looks OK.

Thanks. I don't have the Britstop book and the only one for Manchester I can find on line just mentions Britstop 603 without the name. There's the Hawthorns Campsite in Oldham too. The Reservoir Inn Britstop in Leicester looks OK.
To be fair most pubs will let you stay overnight if eating in the pub. Find a nice pub first in a decent area. Check it out for reviews and on google maps and then call the manager to ask if it's ok. Doesn't need to be a Britstop :thumb

Burrs country park in bury north Manchester is a good one.
Just down the road from where I used to live. Very popular in a good surrounding. Great food at the Brown Cow pub on site as well.

Burrs country park in bury north Manchester is a good one.
Just down the road from where I used to live. Very popular in a good surrounding. Great food at the Brown Cow pub on site as well.
Thanks I looked at that but a) we are not in the caravan club and b) it’s fully booked for the next 2 weekends.

I live 1 hour from M/Cr. Welcome to stop on our property. PM me for address if you wish.

I live 1 hour from M/Cr. Welcome to stop on our property. PM me for address if you wish.
Gosh thanks @altvic but we think we need to be nearer as we are leaving both girls in Manchester on Friday night and going back on Saturday morning to collect one and take her to Leicester

Kingsbury water park might be a good call, not stayed there but seems nice and isnt far from Leicester.

Kingsbury water park might be a good call, not stayed there but seems nice and isnt far from Leicester.

The last time I stayed there it was full of screaming little darlings riding their bikes around and across pitches narrowly missing MHs and Vans.

The last time I stayed there it was full of screaming little darlings riding their bikes around and across pitches narrowly missing MHs and Vans.
Ha ha I shall be there on Sat night (having just dropped off our son at uni, funnily enough - this appears to be what most Calis are being used for this weekend) meeting up with the in laws who have just bought an old N reg VW camper. Mil has a very loud laugh, so the noise of the kids will be drowned out!

Agreed - it's a nice spot & easy access to Leicester and I'm sure the noisy kids issue will have disappeared along with the summer

why the screaming? I'm sure we never did that

This place will let you stay I think... mentioned in tripadvisor reviews! http://www.hindshead.co.uk/
Not far from Manchester University.
I work for the university and have noticed the odd motorhome/campervan in the Cecil Street and Dilworth Street University carparks. I'm not honestly sure I'd be happy to stop over there though... very near the students union and alcohol-fueled freshers!

This is probably too late, but Eye Kettleby Lakes near Melton Mowbray was a very pleasant surprise to us when we stayed there a few weeks ago. It has two well set up campsites with hardstanding and a very good and affordable restaurant on site.

4FE93832-9D00-4CE4-BCC8-D980570F691D.jpegFCCC51AC-C1BD-40B6-A3A8-14CD438EADFA.jpeg 4FE93832-9D00-4CE4-BCC8-D980570F691D.jpeg Right we’re back and here’s what we did. After a tiring 6 hour journey up the M5 and M6 averaging 34mph and a Manchester drop off in horizontal rain, we stayed at The Hawthorne Nightstop / Campsite in Oldham. It looked nice and apart from the loos and showers being a bit meh for the £14 price, I can’t really put my finger on why I wouldn’t rush back. A lot of people saying in the top yard looked semipermanent with those wide European caravans (Tabbert, Fendt and the like) with lots of Transits and pickups, some Irish registered.

Last night we were too exhausted to move the Cali after a difficult drop off in Leicester so we camped in a Uni staff car park where I’d parked all day without a ticket. Mrs L wouldn’t let me put the roof up but we slept deeply and were surrounded by staff cars this morning including a beach when we left. Thanks for all the tips everyone... appreciated

Back