Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mattress comfort

D

Dedee

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hello I am taking delivery of my new Ocean in three weeks and wondering about what extras I need to be comfortable sleeping upstairs but I don't want extra stuff if I don't need it. Do you need a mattress topper and can you leave it in place rather than stowing. I know they suggest not but has anyone done it?

I do not use a topper. Initially the upper bed felt a bit firm but I'm now used to it and sleep well. I would wait and see how you get on.

Hello I am taking delivery of my new Ocean in three weeks and wondering about what extras I need to be comfortable sleeping upstairs but I don't want extra stuff if I don't need it. Do you need a mattress topper and can you leave it in place rather than stowing. I know they suggest not but has anyone done it?
Best to have a few nights sleeping up top before deciding. It's a very personal thing. We sleep upstairs,with 2 kids down stairs. As ArunAlec said, it's firm, but not too hard for us. We don't use a mattress topper, but might if we moved down stairs. What colour did you choose? We'll look out for you when passing through Welly.(?) Just camped near Cape Reinga in an awesome DoC site,and a brand new red/white Cali arrived and camped next door. Quite a surprise as we don't see many Cali's about.

I use a zonesleep topper.
It can't be stored permanently up top but folds easily and stays in the back of the van.
It can't be used without the original mattress but it is a great improvement over the standard issue.
Having said that, I used the standard mattress for 4 years and it's not that bad.
I tried 1 inch memory foam and that worked really well but it was a bit more difficult to store.

Best to have a few nights sleeping up top before deciding. It's a very personal thing. We sleep upstairs,with 2 kids down stairs. As ArunAlec said, it's firm, but not too hard for us. We don't use a mattress topper, but might if we moved down stairs. What colour did you choose? We'll look out for you when passing through Welly.(?) Just camped near Cape Reinga in an awesome DoC site,and a brand new red/white Cali arrived and camped next door. Quite a surprise as we don't see many Cali's about.
Great to touch base with fellow NZ'rs who own a Cali...and we are thinking of our first trip to be up north so would love to know more about the great Doc Site? Yes you are probably right should try it out first. I have borrowed a friends one at the moment and they have had it wrapped in a paisley pattern...everyone wants to photograph it!! I take delivery of a two tone mid blue and silver one at the end of Feb. All a big adventure for us as we are not campers and spent the night wondering about how I am going to cope without a toilet to use in the night...but it is good to get yourself out of comfort!!

I do not use a topper. Initially the upper bed felt a bit firm but I'm now used to it and sleep well. I would wait and see how you get on.
Yes good idea and I am also thinking that I will just get a double sleeping bag to keep things simple with a cotton liner for washing so that there is less to do when setting up.

Yes good idea and I am also thinking that I will just get a double sleeping bag to keep things simple with a cotton liner for washing so that there is less to do when setting up.
We find duvets the best bet. If you need to use the loo in the middle of the night getting in and out of a sleeping bag is quite disruptive. Having said that I do have a winter bag for solo camping if it's really cold.

We find duvets the best bet. If you need to use the loo in the middle of the night getting in and out of a sleeping bag is quite disruptive. Having said that I do have a winter bag for solo camping if it's really cold.
gosh good point !! had not thought about the disruption factor...thanks

Talking about the loo...spent a lot of the night thinking about how we are going to manage the toilet thing in the middle of the night...wondering if I should have purchased a full camper van with toilet and shower on board but just can't imagine myself driving one of those ugly beasts around!

Talking about the loo...spent a lot of the night thinking about how we are going to manage the toilet thing in the middle of the night...wondering if I should have purchased a full camper van with toilet and shower on board but just can't imagine myself driving one of those ugly beasts around!

You don't need to worry.

A thetford 335 portal fits snugly between the end of the extended downstairs bed and the passenger seat, or, what I use, a boginabag.

This is my definitive post on the subject ... https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/toilets-and-portaloos.13487/page-6#post-183766 :D

A chemical loo and toilet tent for the summer. I tend to sleep up top so there's plenty of room downstairs for my Fiamma loo (slightly bigger than the Theford) if it's too cold to venture out.

You don't need to worry.

A thetford 335 portal fits snugly between the end of the extended downstairs bed and the passenger seat, or, what I use, a boginabag.

This is my definitive post on the subject ... https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/toilets-and-portaloos.13487/page-6#post-183766 :D
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to me. I am tempted to get the 335 and put it in the back as I have a big dog and he will take up all the space in the main downstairs area. I imagine though it would be too hard to get out and open the back in the middle of the night so was wondering about your boginabag during the night -but where would I put it?

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to me. I am tempted to get the 335 and put it in the back as I have a big dog and he will take up all the space in the main downstairs area. I imagine though it would be too hard to get out and open the back in the middle of the night so was wondering about your boginabag during the night -but where would I put it?
Btw, the cheapest place in NZ for the Thetford 335 is a mail order RV shop out of Richmond, Nelson. From memory delivery is included in price. Burnsco Marine have some toilet tents from about $50.00 up $150.00. We've bought the tent but still to get the 335. We have no commercial interest in either company,just passing on what I've found from my research so far.
If you want to get your NZ 'Self containment certificate' you'll be needing a toilet.(and a few other things.) There are so many excellent camping places around NZ that we haven't missed the 335 yet. Our Cali came second-hand with the Self Containment Cert already. ie; identified by green diamond or blue rectangle sticker on rear window. Council Inspectors may look for them if you go 'Freedom Camping'.
You can also load the Rankers NZ Camping app onto your phone which lists and rates all camping areas in NZ. It's incredibly useful and can be used off line too. It'll probably be able to let you know if your dog is welcome too. We haven't checked that one. Have fun.

Btw, the cheapest place in NZ for the Thetford 335 is a mail order RV shop out of Richmond, Nelson. From memory delivery is included in price. Burnsco Marine have some toilet tents from about $50.00 up $150.00. We've bought the tent but still to get the 335. We have no commercial interest in either company,just passing on what I've found from my research so far.
If you want to get your NZ 'Self containment certificate' you'll be needing a toilet.(and a few other things.) There are so many excellent camping places around NZ that we haven't missed the 335 yet. Our Cali came second-hand with the Self Containment Cert already. ie; identified by green diamond or blue rectangle sticker on rear window. Council Inspectors may look for them if you go 'Freedom Camping'.
You can also load the Rankers NZ Camping app onto your phone which lists and rates all camping areas in NZ. It's incredibly useful and can be used off line too. It'll probably be able to let you know if your dog is welcome too. We haven't checked that one. Have fun.
Thanks for your reply yes i have decided today to get the toilet and get the certification so that we have more options. I am getting the two toned blue and silver one but may want to order a black one if I love it as much as I think I will. I just bought what I could get and the blue one arrives in Feb. We are heading up north too in March and would love to know which Doc site you stayed at? Not sure who to get the certification done with but no doubt VW will know as I think the van needs a few little modifications in the waste disposal dept and around the water tank area. Very excited about my new life with this new wagon and looking to use it as an everyday vehicle that works for my dog.