Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mattress for the top

AdyB

AdyB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Got the California and loving it , only had two nights out in it so far, NOT the best nights sleep i have ever had.:(

Playing on the drive, have just put the comfort mattress that is for the lower bed on top of the mattress on the roof bed , seems to make a huge difference to the comfort.
Not seen anyone do this before on the forum , is there a reason why not ?

Is there a better way to get comfort when sleeping in the roof bed.
Thanks
Adrian

The additional thickness may buckle the aluminium roof when closed. Or damage the roof opening/closing mechanism.

You might just get away with a very thin mattress topper only.

Just to clarify , we have the 6.1 , what we tried was putting the comfort mattress we got with the van for the down stairs "On Top" of the upper mattress .
As said we would have to remove this to put the roof down BUT it did seem to make a difference to comfort.

I haven't seen that suggestion either but assuming you're not leaving it up there and trying to close the roof (won't work) it sounds like a good idea. You'll have a few cm missing down the side since the lower bed is narrower, but otherwise if you don't have anyone sleeping downstairs it's a good option. We are three, so we got Duvalays for the top for the same reason (i.e. not quite comfortable enough otherwise).

We are looking at getting a Duvalay comfort mattress they shape it to your vans bed ( Offering Black Friday deals soon!)

How do you know if the T6.1 upper bed will not comfortable for you with the VW mattress?
We don’t know but have read lots of people who say it is a hard bed. Being retired . We’ve gone soft didn’t have one in our last van Which was a conversation. The topper is for the downstairs bed not the pop top bed that one looks really comfy.

We don’t know but have read lots of people who say it is a hard bed. Being retired . We’ve gone soft didn’t have one in our last van Which was a conversation. The topper is for the downstairs bed not the pop top bed that one looks really comfy.
The upper bed in the 6.1 is awesome. Totally different to the wooden slats in the 6. Just like having independent springs in your bed mattress at home.

I was thinking you were ordering a new mattress for the top Bed, the original poster was referencing the top bed but using the lower mattress so I naturally assumed you were ordering a Duvalay for the top bed.

The upper bed in the 6.1 is awesome. Totally different to the wooden slats in the 6. Just like having independent springs in your bed mattress at home.
My experience with a retro fitted T6.1 upper bed into a T6 have been very positive (using the original T6 mattress)

I tend to agree - same time of life and degree of softness!! We have had 3 weeks in hired Cali’s in the last year, and find the top bed is a little firm, even with the new springs. it’s a personal thing, but when we get our own van at the turn of the year we’ll be looking for a topper. The only downside is space of course, for every extra you take, you need to find a home for it while travelling.

I tend to agree - same time of life and degree of softness!! We have had 3 weeks in hired Cali’s in the last year, and find the top bed is a little firm, even with the new springs. it’s a personal thing, but when we get our own van at the turn of the year we’ll be looking for a topper. The only downside is space of course, for every extra you take, you need to find a home for it while travelling.
I like the look of this as you can leave it in place with the roof down, but it says it’s not compatible with the 6.1. Is there a 6.1 alternative?
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/zonesleep-ultra-replacement-upstairs-mattress

Would replace with a Sea to Summit , but seems quicker to wait for a new Cali thank get hold of one of these ...
When they come back in stock I will purchase but until then will continue to throw the comfort mattress upstairs when we park up :)

We're retired and I have a bad back. I find the top bed extremely comfortable.
The lower bed however with the comfort mattress is awful. So hard. California time recently did a great YouTube video showing how they use the sea2summit self inflating mattress for downstairs and how easy it is to put upstairs if needed. Being self inflating you can have it softer if required by letting some air out.

Can you leave any of them up top with the roof down?
I don’t believe so. So far, we’ve left sheets up their with the roof down, but from I understand, there isn’t space for anything else.

We're retired and I have a bad back. I find the top bed extremely comfortable.
The lower bed however with the comfort mattress is awful. So hard.
California time recently did a great YouTube video showing how they use the sea2summit self inflating mattress for downstairs and how easy it is to put upstairs if needed. Being self inflating you can have it softer if required by letting some air out.
I agree completely, the top bunk is very, very comfortable, the lower bunk, not so much.

Would replace with a Sea to Summit , but seems quicker to wait for a new Cali thank get hold of one of these ...
When they come back in stock I will purchase but until then will continue to throw the comfort mattress upstairs when we park up :)
Sea to Summit…
I’m not sure I get the hype. Yes it might be comfortable. But you need to inflate and deflate after every use.

Got the California and loving it , only had two nights out in it so far, NOT the best nights sleep i have ever had.:(

Playing on the drive, have just put the comfort mattress that is for the lower bed on top of the mattress on the roof bed , seems to make a huge difference to the comfort.
Not seen anyone do this before on the forum , is there a reason why not ?

Is there a better way to get comfort when sleeping in the roof bed.
Thanks
Adrian
We have a normal mem-foam topper on top in roof, small double size, roll it up and pop on back shelf when roof down….very comfortable

Back