Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mattress options for 3 seat Beach

B

beachdrop

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all,

We're exploring downstairs mattress options for a 3 seat beach. I know there have been quite a few threads on various options but I wondered if anyone had any experience with either the Brandrup or the Vanessa Comfort mattress? ( I assume the Vanessa comfort isn't the same as the VW Comfort mattress?) Is the VW one even available still given that the Beach has been discontinued in the UK?

Are there any other options we should be exploring? The odd night we've spent so far in the van without a mattress have been really uncomfortable and I'm not sure just a topper is going to be sufficient for us given the contouring of the seats when down.

Many thanks for any advice - it's going to be expensive and it's so difficult to choose without seeing them!

Thanks,
BeachDrop

We have a 3 seater beach without the vw comfort mattress. We’ve struggled to find a solution, especially as it’s almost impossible to try before you spend hundreds on a topper/mattress!

we started off with 2 single self inflating mattresses left over from tent camping days. They were comfy but huge and a lot of effort to roll up.
We now have duvalay sleeping bags with 4cm memory foam toppers built in. These simplify packing, as there’s one each for the 4 of us but are still fairly bulky. They are ok comfort wise, although not so good if you sleep head at tailgate end as the mattress pad is thin at that end.
I think the duvalays and the vw mattress might be the answer comfort wise but expensive and takes up a lot of space....... if I can get a vw mattress second hand I might go for it.......

Hi all,

We're exploring downstairs mattress options for a 3 seat beach. I know there have been quite a few threads on various options but I wondered if anyone had any experience with either the Brandrup or the Vanessa Comfort mattress? ( I assume the Vanessa comfort isn't the same as the VW Comfort mattress?) Is the VW one even available still given that the Beach has been discontinued in the UK?

Are there any other options we should be exploring? The odd night we've spent so far in the van without a mattress have been really uncomfortable and I'm not sure just a topper is going to be sufficient for us given the contouring of the seats when down.

Many thanks for any advice - it's going to be expensive and it's so difficult to choose without seeing them!

Thanks,
BeachDrop

We have used three mattresses.

During an 11 week tour of The Nordic countries and the Baltic states we used the £65 Ikea Talgje mattress topper.

Pros: packs small, cheap
Cons: doesn’t smooth the lumps, too thin

During a 42 week tour of the remainder of Europe we used the £499 Brandrup mattress.

Pros: perfect fit, good fitted sheet.
Cons: still doesn’t smooth the lumps, bulky

We now have the VW comfort mattress. Used occasionally.

Pros: completely flat
Cons: a bit hard for us

We now use the VW comfort mattress with the Ikea topper. Used occasionally

Pros: completely flat, comfortable
Cons: you need to pack two toppers.

The VW one should still be available. Make sure you get the correct part number as there is a variant for the Beach with a two seat bench. One member on here had a bizarre experience when a dealer ordered the wrong one and swore blind it was the correct one!

Not sure what the optimum setup is, but we have the VW mattress with 2.5cm compact Duvalay toppers. It’s not bad all together. Quite a lot of bulk, but relatively easy set up.

We found the VW mattress pretty hard on its own, but we sleep head to tailgate because my wife hates sleeping the other way. It’s def comfier the other way around.

The VW mattress makes the bed lovely and flat but takes up the whole parcel shelf and it’s not exactly squishy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m 99% sure this is the correct part number for the VW Comfort Mattress to suit the 3 seat rear bench. I took the photo below myself and had it checked.

7E8 067 365 C L18
This code is for Titan Black.

Moonrock Grey has a different end code, (omit L18, add mw6)

It’s in the region of £600.

6EAD4391-5E5E-48C5-BEFD-9A2B4DCF976B.jpeg

Last edited:
We went through the same loop...bought the comfort mattress and whilst it was ok, it wasn't amazing.Then we went to Camperjam last year and stumbled upon Campervantastic stall who had the Vanessa mattress in one of their display vans-The lady on the stall allowed us both to lie on it and I can honestly say it is as comfortable as our own mattress. Its expensive and does take some storage room up but we still managed a fully loaded van for 4 of us last year all through Germany,Austria and Croatia.
Ive just looked at their site and its now £525 -I paid somewhat less than that but you do get what you pay for-Some may comment that they wouldn't pay that but we love sleeping on it.
It had the advantage of being able to use a standard double fitted sheet-Ive attached a pic of us loaded up last year which shows the space it takes up-I cant reccomend it enough
VANESSA VW California Beach T6 & T5 10cm deep x 189cm length Mattress topper for 3 seater bench.

87868DB8-3640-43AF-90C1-E93B2CEC7CBC.jpeg

We went through the same loop...bought the comfort mattress and whilst it was ok, it wasn't amazing.Then we went to Camperjam last year and stumbled upon Campervantastic stall who had the Vanessa mattress in one of their display vans-The lady on the stall allowed us both to lie on it and I can honestly say it is as comfortable as our own mattress. Its expensive and does take some storage room up but we still managed a fully loaded van for 4 of us last year all through Germany,Austria and Croatia.
Ive just looked at their site and its now and eye watering £525 -I paid somewhat less than that but you do get what you pay for-Some may comment that they wouldn't pay that but we love sleeping on it
VANESSA VW California Beach T6 & T5 10cm deep x 189cm length Mattress topper for 3 seater bench.
So this Vanessa Mattress topper just goes directly on top of the seat? Did you sell the VW Comfort one?

So this Vanessa Mattress topper just goes directly on top of the seat? Did you sell the VW Comfort one?
sorry-i edited my post whilst you were replying to include the picture-yes goes direct onto the seat and i sold the comfort one on here

I bought one of these (Beach mattress on Amazon) over the winter in preparation for use this year in our Beach, which I also bought over winter. Due to the current restrictions I haven’t actually used it properly yet, although I have set it up and led on it for an afternoon nap. My feedback is that it is perfect fit above the multi-flex board when folded (x3), it is on the firm side, which seems common among all purpose made variants. I suspect and hope that due to the price and presumably lower quality foam that it may soften up after some more sustained usage. At that price, I didn’t mind taking the gamble and so far I am pretty happy.

Last edited:
Hi Beachdrop

I hope this helps

I'm following this thread with interest as we are also considering which mattress to use with our 3 seat Beach.
We don't want any overhang when the bed is used in standard length (not going over the middle seat row). The Vanessa mattress is available in the correct shorter length (184cm).
Is the VW comfort mattress the same length?

I bought one of these (Beach mattress on Amazon) over the winter in preparation for use this year in our Beach, which I also bought over winter. Due to the current restrictions I haven’t actually used it properly yet, although I have set it up and led on it for an afternoon nap. My feedback is that it is perfect fit above the multi-flex board when folded (x3) it is on the firm side, which seems common among all purpose made variants. I suspect and hope that due to the price and presumably lower quality foam that it may soften up after a some more sustained usage. At that price, I didn’t mind taking the gamble and so far I am pretty happy.
Sounds like an interesting option. Would be interested in an update of how comfortable it is once you can use it properly!

I'm following this thread with interest as we are also considering which mattress to use with our 3 seat Beach.
We don't want any overhang when the bed is used in standard length (not going over the middle seat row). The Vanessa mattress is available in the correct shorter length (184cm).
Is the VW comfort mattress the same length?
Hi jondd
The VW comfort mattress is configurable for every possible bed set up, short , normal and long, the vw mattress can be zipped together in various configurations to suit all situations, there is a section in the California supplement document supplie£ with the van, I think I posteD the pictures of the relevant pages in the link I provided above, if not search my posts to find it.

The vw matress is designed to sit on the multiflex ( as In The previous link)

If you can’t find the pictures let me know and I’ll find and repost

Out of interest I have a bad back occasionally, I have no problem sleeping on the VW comfort mattress, initially it seems too firm, but you get used to it , or it softens up (not sure which)

Ask if you need any other info

Hi Jondd

Post number 29 on the link “3 seat beach bed - sorry” post link above shows th3 pages from the Cali supplement :thumb

Ive just looked at their site and its now £525 -I paid somewhat less than that but you do get what you pay for-Some may comment that they wouldn't pay that but we love sleeping on it.
It had the advantage of being able to use a standard double fitted sheet-Ive attached a pic of us loaded up last year which shows the space it takes up-I cant reccomend it enough

View attachment 60303
The mattress is discounted on the Vanessa website at €425 (£381 approx) plus shipping approx €25.

Last edited:
Found this online by searching the first part of the part number

Hi Jondd

Post number 29 on the link “3 seat beach bed - sorry” post link above shows th3 pages from the Cali supplement :thumb
Thanks for that Perfectos. I now realise I have the bed description in my 2015 Beach handbook, although the instructions are confusing and I suspect incorrect. It seems to be rewritten in your version.
I've been trying hard to get through to Breeze parts dept. Today I've twice waited in vain for the notorious 'promised callback'. Perhaps they are still short of staff.

Thanks for that Perfectos. I now realise I have the bed description in my 2015 Beach handbook, although the instructions are confusing and I suspect incorrect. It seems to be rewritten in your version.
I've been trying hard to get through to Breeze parts dept. Today I've twice waited in vain for the notorious 'promised callback'. Perhaps they are still short of staff.
All dealerships will be in unknown territory, sales have only just gone back,
The experience of the parts department can vary wildly between clueless to clued up!
Keep persisting, I believe breeze are one of the better dealers, as you say the current situation may be impacting responses

Thanks all for your responses. I was about to call VW and pull the trigger on the VW comfort mattress but I think I might now get the Vanessa one after Jeeves's post - especially if it's discounted at the moment. Jeeves - does the Vanessa mattress take up any more space than the VW one and is the underside contoured like the VW one?

Am also thinking of getting the Vanessa window bags but it looks like there might not be enough room for the both these and the mattress when stored on the shelf?

Thanks everybody - this forum is so useful.

It was VWGURU on here what works at Breeze that checked the part numbers for me last year.

Thanks all for your responses. I was about to call VW and pull the trigger on the VW comfort mattress but I think I might now get the Vanessa one after Jeeves's post - especially if it's discounted at the moment. Jeeves - does the Vanessa mattress take up any more space than the VW one and is the underside contoured like the VW one?

Am also thinking of getting the Vanessa window bags but it looks like there might not be enough room for the both these and the mattress when stored on the shelf?

Defo get the Vanessa bags for the three seater, there is enough room to use the bags fully and have the comfort matress, they are a game changer ( albeit expensive) we can carry enough clothes for two adults and two kids using packing cubes ( summer) in those Bags ( there are other options a available from German retailers)

Thanks Perfectos - sounds good.

Hi-the underside of vanessa mattress is not contoured -its just like a normal bed mattress albeit with "cuts" so that it folds into 3-as for the vanessa bags, i've got them, they are fantastic and they are in place in my picture but obscured by the bedding-I could on our trip though reach through and get out anything i needed from them-i leave them in permanently(vanessa bags and mattress) and use the van as an every day family vehicle. Ill find a picture of the bags and mattress in place and post

Last edited:
B9FEA767-81E0-4EB1-8D69-2F3AB14B28C3.jpeg

Beachdrop-if you zoom into the rear of my van you will see the Vanessa bags in situ (they are on both sides) and the vanessa mattress in its folded state-picture blurs but both bags are there and you can see the left hand one

Back