Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Max speed with oem awning?

H

Hmb

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Is there an official speed rating for the oem awning on a T6 California?

It feels pretty solid on the rail but just wondering what a safe cruising speed on the auto bahn would be?

I have been hitting 130km/h without problems.
You'd have to ask the Germans like @westfalia what speed they hit with it on the Autobahn?

Reactions: Hmb
I have been hitting 130km/h without problems.
You'd have to ask the Germans like @westfalia what speed they hit with it on the Autobahn?
So you never gone flat out ....?
You should once a while , good for the engine.
With an empty autobahn or peage i see nothing wrong going flat out a few minutes , getting the engine to give it all.
Only if there's no other car in sight ahead and behind me.
I know it's against the law but the other 99,9% of the time i stick to the speedlimit.

As for the OP's question , i'm pretty sure VW tested it and the max speed the Cali can take will not blow of the awning , beware you do need to wind it IN!

Is there an official speed rating for the oem awning on a T6 California?

It feels pretty solid on the rail but just wondering what a safe cruising speed on the auto bahn would be?
Greater than the speed limit of the California. Have got to over 100mph on the Autobahn and still have the awning.

So you never gone flat out ....?
You should once a while , good for the engine.
With an empty autobahn or peage i see nothing wrong going flat out a few minutes , getting the engine to give it all.
Only if there's no other car in sight ahead and behind me.
I know it's against the law but the other 99,9% of the time i stick to the speedlimit.

As for the OP's question , i'm pretty sure VW tested it and the max speed the Cali can take will not blow of the awning , beware you do need to wind it IN!

I’d agree with the sentiment of it being good to push the engine but personally as I have a DSG prefer to occasionally stick it in manual and drive with higher revs.

Mike

Make sure that the awning is fully wound in and tight.

Even at low speeds the thing rattles if not fully wound in.

I’ve touched 180 km/h on the autobahn more that once and regularly cruise at 150 km/h. So far nothing has fallen off

That's good to hear.
Have you seen any official blurb to confirm?
No, but VW quote the California maximum speed in the brochure and also sell the awning as a factory fit option with no Disclaimer of a lower speed if awning fitted.

I’ve touched 180 km/h on the autobahn more that once and regularly cruise at 150 km/h. So far nothing has fallen off
In that case, my van should have to go over it's maximum speed it can do on paper (=170km/h). So that would mean, downhill with tail wind.
Any speed limit with the awning open? Can it be used as a sail? (better mpg comes to mind!
Then better not with head wind, and some wheels under the awning poles.

126mph with mine. no issues. more worried about my tyre rating at 118mph

At 126mph the awning falling off would be the least of my worries.

Yep, only ever been caught speeding in slow cars. About 30 years ago 98mph on the M1 by Scratchwood in my first company a car, a day old 1.1 fiesta, got a bit of a bolloxing for that from the company fleet manager for not running it in properly. ( max speed according to the handbook was about 85mph from memory)

Took the the 3.5 litre rover police car until nearly archway before he actually caught up with me. I didn't know I was being chased!

That & 45mph on a proper duel carriage way in a volvo estate at 2am in the morning on the way to hospital.

Ive always been let off with a stern talking to in faster cars, & its always been on empty motorways early hours of the morning.

Back