Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Snows Plymouth

Wobble’s Mum

Wobble’s Mum

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Our Cali sadly has developed a water leak from (we believe) the fresh water tank. Upon speaking with Snows Plymouth where we purchased the van, they are more than willing to take it in and repair/replace whatever is causing the problem but have confirmed that the whole interior will have to come out. The water ingress has also blown the ply floor in places and soaked through the front cab carpet between the seats.
I am worried, having spoken to the service manager who freely admitted that he isn’t overly familiar with the California, and has staffing issues. This isn’t a small job. Would I be better going to Carr’s in Exeter? They are happy to investigate and can get the van in sooner than Plymouth. What are member experiences with these dealers for servicing/repairs? We use Carrs for the work vans and haven’t had a problem but the Cali is loved and far more precious. I am very uneasy about the whole thing.
Sorry for the long post.

Our Cali sadly has developed a water leak from (we believe) the fresh water tank. Upon speaking with Snows Plymouth where we purchased the van, they are more than willing to take it in and repair/replace whatever is causing the problem but have confirmed that the whole interior will have to come out. The water ingress has also blown the ply floor in places and soaked through the front cab carpet between the seats.
I am worried, having spoken to the service manager who freely admitted that he isn’t overly familiar with the California, and has staffing issues. This isn’t a small job. Would I be better going to Carr’s in Exeter? They are happy to investigate and can get the van in sooner than Plymouth. What are member experiences with these dealers for servicing/repairs? We use Carrs for the work vans and haven’t had a problem but the Cali is loved and far more precious. I am very uneasy about the whole thing.
Sorry for the long post.
Have you checked here?
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/forums/dealer-reviews.18/

Under Warranty you can go to any VW Dealership.

Sorry for the long post.
My van also had a leak which appeared in the cupboard under the cooker. I took it to Carr's as they were my local dealer at the time and they diagnosed it as the window leaking. They booked it in for two weeks, telling me too that the kitchen would have to come out. If they did take it out I certainly couldn't see any evidence and it only took a week, not two. I would certainly recommend them (or their bodyshop), my only complaint was not being able to have a courtesy car. Good luck with your repair.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Probably a window leak.
The sliding window next to the sink, its a common thing.

We used to have a good relationship with Carrs Exeter but all the management and staff seems to have changed now and I was not over impressed with my last visit. As you say, removing the kitchen is a massive job and it would be worth travelling to find a dealer that has experience in doing this. There is Carrs in Truro but I suspect they may not have the experience either but worth asking them I guess. All else fails you can call VWCS and ask for a list of lifestyle dealers within a certain radius.

Keep us updated with how you get on please.

Sorry for the long post.
Are you, or the Dealership sure that it is the water tank causing the problem?

If the water has got beneath the floor covering then that would have to come out as well and I think to get that out the kitchen does have to be removed, likewise the front seats and bases to get the front carpet and foam underlay out to dry/replace.

I can hardly imagine the water tank itself is leaking. Much more probable, and both reported here on the forum, are issues with the filling tube leaking or the side slide window leaking.

What should we be looking for to catch it early?
Not sure about catching it early, but keeping the seal clean the channel and the drain hole
free.
There are 2 drain holes but you can only access the front one.
Adding some silicon grease to the seal has done the trick for me.

Not sure about catching it early, but keeping the seal clean the channel and the drain hole
free.
There are 2 drain holes but you can only access the front one.
Adding some silicon grease to the seal has done the trick for me.
The black felt seal around the edge?

EAC9872E-5167-4BBE-95D8-035AA9257AB0.jpeg AE44DF01-2549-427A-8142-FBBB92A7300D.jpeg
Thanks for the ideas. We have eliminated most problems thanks to the advice on the forum and sadly the fresh tank/or its pipes components that we cannot get to, or see, seem to be the issue. When we fill it, the water starts appearing in all sorts of places depending on how level the van is parked. The floor is already damaged as it’s looking like it’s been happening slowly over time and Snows Plymouth have now confirmed that there had been a previous repair before we bought it.
I’ve decided to let them have it back. The blown floor needs replacing regardless so the habitation/interior must all come out anyway.

They collect it on the 18th. I’ll keep you posted with progress as I’ve asked for regular updates on investigation and photos. I’m concerned about any damage already done to bodywork, rust etc and electrical components (if any) that may be affected.

Snows Plymouth have now confirmed that there had been a previous repair before we bought it.

I would be very unhappy they have sold you a failed repaied van which has now got major issue how long have you owned it. I would be seeking legal advise, I have no idea what legal rights are but I would wanting to get shot of it if it was me.

View attachment 31978 View attachment 31979
Thanks for the ideas. We have eliminated most problems thanks to the advice on the forum and sadly the fresh tank/or its pipes components that we cannot get to, or see, seem to be the issue. When we fill it, the water starts appearing in all sorts of places depending on how level the van is parked. The floor is already damaged as it’s looking like it’s been happening slowly over time and Snows Plymouth have now confirmed that there had been a previous repair before we bought it.
I’ve decided to let them have it back. The blown floor needs replacing regardless so the habitation/interior must all come out anyway.

They collect it on the 18th. I’ll keep you posted with progress as I’ve asked for regular updates on investigation and photos. I’m concerned about any damage already done to bodywork, rust etc and electrical components (if any) that may be affected.
Not sure how long you have had your Cali but in your first post on this matter you said that Snows were willing to "replace". My advice? Accept this offer and find another one. If you don't you will always have niggles in the back of your mind about might be in the future that will stop you fully enjoying your Cali to the full.

Not sure how long you have had your Cali but in your first post on this matter you said that Snows were willing to "replace". My advice? Accept this offer and find another one. If you don't you will always have niggles in the back of your mind about might be in the future that will stop you fully enjoying your Cali to the full.
Only repair/replace the faulty component, not the vehicle.
Snows Plymouth where we purchased the van, they are more than willing to take it in and repair/replace whatever is causing the problem

Only repair/replace the faulty component, not the vehicle.
Snows Plymouth where we purchased the van, they are more than willing to take it in and repair/replace whatever is causing the problem
OK, thanks. Misread! Sorry.:(

Hi we are following this as we had exactly the same problem. It was taken in to our local dealer under warranty, they said it was a faulty window and it was replaced. We didn’t use the van over the winter and the first time we used it was May . The same problem occurred, back it went and eventually after me researching it I suggested the water tank. Because they said it was out of warranty and it was a different problem ( although I had taken photos of both leaks and they were exactly in the same place,) they wouldn’t look at it under warranty. Eventually it went in and they stripped it to find it was indeed the water tank and it had soaked the plywood under the floor, they repaired it and put everything back, they informed me it has cost approaching £9k but as a gesture of goodwill we would only have to pay £160. We paid although not happy in it being a ‘different problem’. I went to ombudsman who came back eventually to say we didn’t have a case. The problem has not occurred since but we still find things that haven’t been put back properly. We now have nothing to do with the dealership and take it somewhere else

Hi we are following this as we had exactly the same problem. It was taken in to our local dealer under warranty, they said it was a faulty window and it was replaced. We didn’t use the van over the winter and the first time we used it was May . The same problem occurred, back it went and eventually after me researching it I suggested the water tank. Because they said it was out of warranty and it was a different problem ( although I had taken photos of both leaks and they were exactly in the same place,) they wouldn’t look at it under warranty. Eventually it went in and they stripped it to find it was indeed the water tank and it had soaked the plywood under the floor, they repaired it and put everything back, they informed me it has cost approaching £9k but as a gesture of goodwill we would only have to pay £160. We paid although not happy in it being a ‘different problem’. I went to ombudsman who came back eventually to say we didn’t have a case. The problem has not occurred since but we still find things that haven’t been put back properly. We now have nothing to do with the dealership and take it somewhere else

I'm really sad to hear that your experience was unpleasant.
The things that you talk about, with it not being put back properly are the things that worry me. £160 out of £9k (as a goodwill gesture) is a very random number! How on earth did they come up with £9k I wonder? I'd like to take a week off work and watch everything they do, see what damage (if any) is underneath that floor but anyone outside of this forum, would think that's a little obsessive... :sorry

Can you remember what the problem was with your van? I know you said it was the tank, but was it the tank itself, or just pipes/fittings or something else that failed? Do you mind me asking if it left any long term damage to anything else that you are aware of?

The plan is to allow them the opportunity to rectify the problem, replace the floor etc, and I will check everything over in detail. I've asked for photos as I want to see what has happened to everything that is between the front seats. Some knowledgable folk on the forum have pointed out that there are electrical cables there. My theory is, that as there would still be over two years of the warranty left, any other damage that could be caused by the water, would probably show up long before it expires. Who knows, I may be able to negotiate an extension to the warranty. I'm not really sure what other choice we have.

I would request to see the van once its stripped out so I could see / check any damage before they attempt to put it all back together. This would then give peace of mind of what the condition of the van is like under the floor and behind the interior trim.

Good luck with your van.

25555225-B55F-4614-8755-25D733C62951.png A69C35E1-8566-472D-A733-6EB4738EEC42.png
I'm really sad to hear that your experience was unpleasant.
The things that you talk about, with it not being put back properly are the things that worry me. £160 out of £9k (as a goodwill gesture) is a very random number! How on earth did they come up with £9k I wonder? I'd like to take a week off work and watch everything they do, see what damage (if any) is underneath that floor but anyone outside of this forum, would think that's a little obsessive... :sorry

Can you remember what the problem was with your van? I know you said it was the tank, but was it the tank itself, or just pipes/fittings or something else that failed? Do you mind me asking if it left any long term damage to anything else that you are aware of?

The plan is to allow them the opportunity to rectify the problem, replace the floor etc, and I will check everything over in detail. I've asked for photos as I want to see what has happened to everything that is between the front seats. Some knowledgable folk on the forum have pointed out that there are electrical cables there. My theory is, that as there would still be over two years of the warranty left, any other damage that could be caused by the water, would probably show up long before it expires. Who knows, I may be able to negotiate an extension to the warranty. I'm not really sure what other choice we have.

Hi
We were told it was from when we were filling the fresh water tank, the connection from the outside inlet to the the tank itself finding the lowest point - between the two front seats

I'm following this thread with interest as I've discovered some water in the cupboard under the cooker. I thought it might be connected with the fact my tap has stopped working, although that was last autumn (yes I've been meaning to get it looked at!) but as it was not long after we'd had some heavy rain and reading this I now suspect the window, although I can see no evidence of leakage from the window.

It's a really inconvenient time to have the van off the road as my sister is very ill a hundred miles away and I need to be able to get there urgently if necessary. One of the disadvantages of the Cali being my daily driver.

Update: 28/04/18

Phoned Snows yesterday morning for some info on Bruce, (they’ve had him 8 days) only to be told that they were still trying to replicate the problem and it was getting ‘intense’. I questioned this, as we have sent numerous photos and all they need to do is park him on a slight slope and fill the water tank to witness the H2O escaping in whatever direction gravity takes it!
Was promised a call back once some info had been gained from technician.
Called again at 5:45pm and promised a call back after 6pm when again they would have some info from technician.
They didn’t call. I’ve been more than polite so far and quite calm considering they ignored my requests to reply in writing to me, and also we have no photos yet of this ‘supposed’ investigation. I’ve been out of the country but now I’m back, I will insist on seeing the van stripped. We have also now complained to the finance company, as we have no timescales for completion, no idea what the issue is, and they haven’t actioned my requests for photos of the floor pan or an update.

Poor show from Snows Plymouth so far.
On Monday, they will witness my ‘not so polite’ side. :punch

I think you've been more than patient!

Back