Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Memory Foam Mattresses and Toppers

Daniel French

Daniel French

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I'm sure this has been discussed many times before, but I can't find anything that really answers the question(s) that I have... I'm fortunate enough to have a lovely T6 California Ocean with the VW comfort sleeping mattress downstairs, but we still find it a 'touch' soft (we have a Tempur at home!) so have been looking at some alternative products on the shop.

Q1:- The Zonesleep Downstairs mattress topper - is this a replacement mattress for the VW comfort sleeping mattress?
Q2:- For the top bed, do you need to buy the Comfortz 1" replacement mattress AND the Zonesleep mattress topper?
Q3:- Are there any other manufacturers of memory foam replacement mattresses / toppers for the California's?

What I'm looking for in an ideal world is the most comfortable sleeping / mattress arrangement with the least hassle.

We've just spent nine nights in the van using a Zonesleep on top of the VW comfort mattress and it has totally transformed our sleeping (or lack of it before we got the Zonesleep). However, we found the comfort mattress too hard and uncomfortable, the Zonesleep has provided a softer bed for us.

We've just spent nine nights in the van using a Zonesleep on top of the VW comfort mattress and it has totally transformed our sleeping (or lack of it before we got the Zonesleep). However, we found the comfort mattress too hard and uncomfortable, the Zonesleep has provided a softer bed for us.
OK thanks, so are you using the Zonesleep on it's own, or above the VW mattress? And is that on the lower or upper bed?

A lot of people use zone sleep as an alternative to the VW comfort mattress and as an addition to the upstairs mattress. Putting it on top of a topper, as in th VW comfort mattress is, to me, starting to load the Cali up a bit, mattress on top of mattress.

I have used a VW comfort mattress and found it to be a little soft. I use a comfortz 1" mattress at present, it means that the rear headboard can be on the higher setting and it takes up little room. Some find it too firm, or too thin, and put a zone sleep on top.

Upstairs I'm quite happy with the VW Mattress supplied.

Right now we are using it on top of VW mattress but will try it on its own next time and see how we get on with it directly on top of the downstairs bed. The VW mattress and Zonesleep aren't a problem for us on the back shelf, we even put our duvet and pillows on top and they don't obscure the rear window.

OK thank you - I've decided on a Zonesleep topper for the lower bed, then the 1" comfortz replacement mattress for up-top with the zonesleep topper for that... It was an expensive morning, but I'm looking forward to trying them out tomorrow night :thumb

OK thank you - I've decided on a Zonesleep topper for the lower bed, then the 1" comfortz replacement mattress for up-top with the zonesleep topper for that... It was an expensive morning, but I'm looking forward to trying them out tomorrow night :thumb

Do post back with how you get on - I'm also interested in something for the downstairs bed to complement/replace the VW mattress that came with our Ocean which is very firm indeed!

after searching and reading loads of threads about this I am still confused.. or old.. or stupid
I want to make upstairs bed more comfy but am loathe to spend £350-400 on replacing the existing VW supplied mattress for a comfort and adding a zonesleep topper. (and also ending up with having to stick a redundant large VW mattress somewhere!!!!)
Can anyone help ...
1. Is using a zonesleep and placing it on the existing VW supplied one worth the investment - will it really make a difference?
2. If I do above can I leave topper in place and lower the roof, or do I remove the topper before lowering?

after searching and reading loads of threads about this I am still confused.. or old.. or stupid
I want to make upstairs bed more comfy but am loathe to spend £350-400 on replacing the existing VW supplied mattress for a comfort and adding a zonesleep topper. (and also ending up with having to stick a redundant large VW mattress somewhere!!!!)
Can anyone help ...
1. Is using a zonesleep and placing it on the existing VW supplied one worth the investment - will it really make a difference?
2. If I do above can I leave topper in place and lower the roof, or do I remove the topper before lowering?

Just spent 10 days doing just this - zone sleep on top of the original VW roof mattress. It is comfortable and supportive if you like a reasonably firm bed. Ours is the downstairs zone sleep currently being used upstairs (I think this one has more 'zones' so is a little thicker). It has to be removed every time the roof goes down though. A pretty easy fold and drop on the back shelf but could be regarded as a bit of a faf by some.

If you're more into softer beds (as my OH is) then you may be better suited to a Duvalay on top. We're getting her one before our next big trip and will see how we get on.

thanks for that it really helps!
think will look at Duvalay as like soft rather than hard...

Can recommend a duvalay I have the gold version downstairs and really comfortable. It just folds into three and sits on parcel shelf.

I would think twice before jumping in with a Duvalay, we purchased two and found them huge to store when travelling, also when we were in the South of France when it was mid twenties we both found that they make you sweat due to the type of foam they use and the foam is not washable, we ended up sleeping directly on the seats for the remainder of the holiday.

I'm sure this has been discussed many times before, but I can't find anything that really answers the question(s) that I have... I'm fortunate enough to have a lovely T6 California Ocean with the VW comfort sleeping mattress downstairs, but we still find it a 'touch' soft (we have a Tempur at home!) so have been looking at some alternative products on the shop.

Q1:- The Zonesleep Downstairs mattress topper - is this a replacement mattress for the VW comfort sleeping mattress?
Q2:- For the top bed, do you need to buy the Comfortz 1" replacement mattress AND the Zonesleep mattress topper?
Q3:- Are there any other manufacturers of memory foam replacement mattresses / toppers for the California's?

What I'm looking for in an ideal world is the most comfortable sleeping / mattress arrangement with the least hassle.
Hi, we use Tempur mattresses at home. And so when we got the Beach, we decided to get 7cm, narrow single mattress toppers from Tempur. Not sure if they make a size good for the ocean but worth looking at.

For what it's worth - we have a hard Tempur mattress at home, and it's superbly comfortable... you do spend one third of your life sleeping (or most people do) so why not invest in the best you can afford?

In answer to all of the above, and having just experienced both, this is my feedback:-
I'd 100% recommend getting the Comfortz Upper mattresses and then the Zonesleep topper... The main difference is that the comfortz and zonesleep topper is that it makes the upper mattress feel like you are sleeping on a proper mattress, rather than just 'a decent foam' / the original VW supplied item. And as the Comfortz is a little thinner than the VW supplied mattress you can close the roof down with the zone sleep topper in place, no problems at all.

For the lower mattress, I went with just the Zonesleep topper (to go on top of the VW comfort mattress), but not tried it out yet - as the upper mattress setup is now super comfy anyway!

Anyone know of anywhere that supplies fitted sheets for the upper and lower mattresses?

I agree with Daniel, we also sleep up top and found the original foam mattress was just not comfy enough as we could feel the slats especially when we laid on our sides. We did not want the hassle of removing a topper every time we put the roof down so we also purchased the zonesleep along with the thinner mattress so it can all be left in situ with the roof down. I would go as far to say it is just as comfy as my bed at home now, I also like the idea that the Zonesleep can be washed at the end of each season keeping it nice and fresh.

Thanks for feedback. Have zonesleeper for the upstairs but still get sore shoulders.
Will purchase Comfortz foam 1" replacement mattress. Only problem where do we store the VW mattress ...

Ours is in a sealed in a bag In the loft. We did think of advertising it but not sure if there is much call for them.

I bought min

I bought mine from Calitop.eu and use it in the top box; however, it also fits the "bed" down below.
Very pleased.

I bought min

I bought mine from Calitop.eu and use it in the top box; however, it also fits the "bed" down below.
Very pleased.

I bought min

Very pleased.

I bought min

Very pleased.

I bought min

I bought min

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to ask a side question on this topic.

I did not buy a vw comfort mattress with our vehicle and we use a zone sleep directly on the seat-bed (the kids sleep in the roof bed).

I want to put the rear shelf on my T6 Ocean on the higher setting all the time to maximise boot storage.

Several have mentioned being able to do this, by using a thinner pad on the shelf (the comfortz leisure product has been mentioned several times). However on my vehicle, when the shelf is in the higher setting the metal frame on its own is already higher than the seat folded flat. Have I misunderstand or is the arrangement different on the T6 from what previous posters mentioned?

Charles

I’m finding the top bunk mattress is making me sweat at night.
Always had the Zonesleeper downstairs and never had a sweating issue, so wondering who has the Zonesleeper topper for top bunk and if it can be left in situ with roof down...?

Back