Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Memory Foam Topper v Zonesleep ( for lower bed )

F

Fourier

VIP Member
What is the general feeling about mattress toppers - we've just recently picked up our ex-demo Cali, and having hired one from BVMS previously, a mattress topper for the lower bed is an important accessory! I think the BVMS ones were the OEM VW ones and quite comfortable - is the Comfortz one equivalent as we could certainly do with the £200 saving to go towards the many hundreds of other 'essentials' we seem to be accumulating! Or is the Zonesleep the one to go for - again, quite a bit more expensive. Why the big price differences?

Thanks for advice as always.

Re: memory foam topper v Zonesleep for lower bed

Just spent a month away and used a Zonesleep; non sweaty, stores away very easily and is very compact.

We considered memory foam but heard its very sweaty as well as bulky. I put photos of ours up in the accessories section. It's made of clever stuff!

+1 for Zone sleep here, I was put off by the price initially and ummmmed and srghhhhed but it is an amazing product / invention, I now use it on my bed at home when not camping which makes it even better value

We bought a piece of memory foam from a local foam shop £35 then used a single duvet cover which i stitched up the side to cover the foam.......bargain!
It doesnt stop there....because i have a bad back we also have a feather & duck down topper on top of that (£60). its like sleeping on a cloud!
Princess & the Pea springs to mind!

+1 for Zone sleep
When we first had the Cali I brought memory foam and did what TopCat did. Finally found the funds for a zonesleep. Amazing. Good night sleep. Non Sweaty unlike the memory foam with duvet ) very supportive. Recommmend. Used for 5nights since buying it.
Gives more storage space in the back as its half the size of rolled up memory foam.

We also found that the bag is big enough to stuff sheets and a blanket in.

+1 from me I keep my summer quilt in the same bag

image.jpg

What he said.

Our Zonesleep is brilliant :D

We use a single layer upstairs and double layer downstairs, takes up very little room. Well worth the money, we also use ours on one of the bed at home when not in use. :thumb

The Zonesleep lower is excellent. I took our memory foam mattress to dubs@the hall this w/e hoping to sell it only to discover that I'd left home without a duvet.

Used the memory foam topper for one last time on the seats, flipped the zonesleep over so the mesh was uppermost and lo and behold - an ultra-lightweight but cosy cover.

If you get hot + night just don't bother with memory foam, go straight for the Zonesleep. You won't regret it. And it takes up far less room in storage.

Rob.

On its' tod?

Are you zonesleeper types using it on the lower bed bear, with no additional foam, straight on top of the standard seat cushion? Don't the seat buckles "show" through at all? Am I being a pussy?

It goes straight on top of the seat and you can't feel anything through it. :thumb

I have the Comfortz Leisure mattress topper for the lower bed, and I can confirm that it completely eliminates any discomfort caused by the hard bits under the upholstery, and seatbelts. I haven't had a bad night in the van since we bought it.

I haven't tried a zonesleep so can't make a comparison, but I don't regret buying the topper.

Stu

Another vote for zonesleep. Used downstairs over buckles etc. great!

Our Memory foam topper came with the van but the guy who sold it to us was 100% honest about everything else to to with the van and said it cost a couple of hundred quid. I believe him. I can feel the seat contour through it but I think the fact that it's very warm and doesn't breathe is more of an issue.

In comprison I couldn't feel the seat format through the lower (thicker) Zonesleep at all and it's really cool to sleep on in hot sticky weather.

Thanks for all your opinions. Looks like the Zonesleep has the edge, if you can loot! Will have to make a list, add it all up, then take a deep breath and reach for the card...

I have a triple layer zonesleeper for downstairs for the 3 seater Beach. It's really good.
However I've only ever used mine with memory topper, then the zonesleeper on top. It's very comfortable.

I would order a 5 layer if I was buying another and ditch the memory foam.
I might be a touch picky, but really like a comfortable nights sleep ;)

Just done 4 nights sleeping upstairs with the single layer Zonesleep, from what is already a comfortable mattress is now very very comfortable with the Zonesleep on top.

I've just bought the Duvalay 2.5cm topper from Campervantastic. £145 inc postage. It seems pretty good but not used it abroad in the heat yet. Friends bought similar but 5cm thick

Regardless of whatever steps we take to improve our sleeping arrangments, should we not really be asking the question of VW 'why are the beds so bloody uncomfortable 'In a £40,000 vehicle in which ( to quote VW ) 'you can simply relax at night' given the post on various forums very clearly few of us can (without the addition of expensive toppers etc ).
Surely the R and D which went into the otherwise excellent Cali interior someone at VW could have given greater thought to overnight-sleeping .

Totally agree. The mattress and slatting upstairs work really well but the fold down bed is uncomfortable including the seat belt sockets poking into your back. VW could do better

Couldn't agree more :clap

gkent said:
Regardless of whatever steps we take to improve our sleeping arrangments, should we not really be asking the question of VW 'why are the beds so bloody uncomfortable 'In a £40,000 vehicle in which ( to quote VW ) 'you can simply relax at night' given the post on various forums very clearly few of us can (without the addition of expensive toppers etc ).
Surely the R and D which went into the otherwise excellent Cali interior someone at VW could have given greater thought to overnight-sleeping .

gkent said:

Also agree. A waterproof (when raised) roof wouldn't go amiss either.

Just a quick couple of questions, probably answered elsewhere on the forum, but I can't find it.....

Q1: Does the 3 layer "Cali SE" Zonesleep fit the upstairs bed??

Q2: Is the 3 layer Zonesleep enough to cope with the buckles and seat shapes of my downstairs bed??

As you may have guessed I have a Beach, but have a problem to solve,

When Mrs JamesC comes along, we sleep downstairs on a comfortz memory foam topper. Its OK, but I can imagine it will get hot, and it is heavy and bulky to store.

When I am camping solo, I like to sleep upstairs, but I find the top mattress to be hard.

What I was thinking was, I might get the three layer SE downstairs mattress, use it in both locations depending on who's in the van that night.

I know this means I lose some useable bed space downstairs, but a good compromise, and better than buying two very expensive Zonesleep's!

I'd love your thoughts.

Thanks

James

A little bump of this old thread given how many new members there are since 2013 and I'm in need a bit of reassurance before spending £300 (and because @jamesC didn't get a response in 2015).

A question to downstairs Zonesleep owners - is it sufficient just to put the Zonesleep (3 layer) topper down on the seats themselves for a comfortable nights sleep? We're used to a reasonably firm mattress but don't want a lumpy board either.

Was intending to buy the Comfortz topper but read all of the advice about not letting small kids sleep on memory foam so Zonesleep is my next option.

Back