Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mercedes Marco Polo Latest Info 2017

Why do people like the shiny black dash in a T6 over the T5 dash but dislike the Marco Polo units??
I hate shiny and black. I had an MX5 a few years ago and found that even when a map rested on the dash and moved about - just by the movement of the car, it wasn't long before it looked obviously tired.
As for the Cali I still hate shiny and I still hate black but at least I can change the black! (mine will be blue and is a nod, respecting the early buses :thumb)

Here IS a Marco Polo Forum

But your IP will be tracked and anyone visiting it will be tried for treason! ;)

Reading further this is totally isolated, and looking at his other posts this is an old van, possibly 2004 that he decided to put two Canadian canoes on weighing in excess of 100kg on a fibreglass roof.

Looks like people are trying to do everything to find problems with the MP haha

I really do like the curtains, I so wish the Cali had curtains. Our van has been into the dealer over 5 times with problems, they are so fragile.

2017-Mercedes-Benz-Marco-Polo-Horizon_08.jpg

looking at the MP forum pictures pages looks as if they have as much fun as Cali owners have, guess it is camper van life style whatever van you decide on

I really do like the curtains, I so wish the Cali had curtains. Our van has been into the dealer over 5 times with problems, they are so fragile.

View attachment 18595
Just a thought. Personally dislike curtains with a passion. None on our flat and like not having them in the Cali. Was ONE of the things that put me off on some of the conversions.
Someone suggested somewhere retro fitting curtains and switching blinds for mosi blinds which would not be used often.

Mike

I've got the best Cali (174 4motion diff lock...) and a Benz for my daily.
The quality, the materials, the engines (v6 cdi), the trany (7gtronic), the overall is superior by far to my beloved Cali.

My California only's got 50k km and it's more corroded than my nearly 200k km benz.

Anyways I never try a MP, but never mind I'll change...maybe a V6 4matic...just kidding!!!

The sympaty for the VW campers makes every body so friendly.

Just a thought. Personally dislike curtains with a passion. None on our flat and like not having them in the Cali. Was ONE of the things that put me off on some of the conversions.
Someone suggested somewhere retro fitting curtains and switching blinds for mosi blinds which would not be used often.

Mike

Agreed 100%, with the curtains, same for me with conversions.:thumb

.. me ...

Curtains work both ways you know. Think of your poor neighbours :Nailbiting

Missus and I are off to Stuttgart by air on Monday. We plan to drop by a Merc dealer and have a good prod around a Marco Polo. Maybe a test drive too. Not staying more than a few days in the Black Forest otherwise I would see about renting one.

Err.. is this post heresy?

No. I would love to see pictures and read your review of it.

Whether some of us fall in love with the MP or continue to have a love affair with the Cali the MP is bringing choice and competition to the market and that can only be to the benefit of all of us.

Something already in the pipeline but I find myself going round in a big circle http://www.mercedesmarcopolo.co.uk/ :eek:
Yep! From that site "Copyright © Unique Forums Limited 2017 All Rights Reserved."

I wonder who 'Unique Forums' are????????
For a clue, look at the very foot of this page...or any page on the forum (there's a clue).

No. I would love to see pictures and read your review of it.

Whether some of us fall in love with the MP or continue to have a love affair with the Cali the MP is bringing choice and competition to the market and that can only be to the benefit of all of us.

Couldn't agree more GrannyJen - I love my Cali but keeping competition in the market can only result in improvements :agreed

Maybe the last picture just to round things off: Personally it will take me a while to get rid of all those memories of rusty early Vitos that are supposedly all ancient history. At least with the VW you know it will not suffer serious corrosion for a very long time.

DSCF7036.JPG

Can I really drive around in a vehicle who's name is shortened to something totally useless, unreliable and only works half the time and never in Summer? :shocked

"I have an MP:....

"Sadly the country has 650 of them"!:shocked

Can I really drive around in a vehicle who's name is shortened to something totally useless, unreliable and only works half the time and never in Summer? :shocked

"I have an MP:....

"Sadly the country has 650 of them"!:shocked

Quite. Worse still this is a Euro MP!

With the roof issue, etc.... anyone considered a slightly larger alternative, but still with quality? Any one tried a Westfalia? Price is in line with a cali;
http://www.harbourcreek.co.uk/listi...otorhome-black-metallic-130hp-euro6-refva720/

Realise you lose out on the multi storey car parking etc.... But if it's a third/fourth car then its not too much of an issue. Plus France etc... is geared up for larger campers.

Last edited:
If it's a 3rd or 4th vehicle there is much logic to your question. As a pure camping experience, the Cali can't compete with a larger unit, but as a 1st or 2nd car, it offers a lifestyle otherwise unobtainable at similar running costs to a normal car. But that comes with compromises.... No loo, the need to erect a drive away awning etc.
If it was just used for camping, I wouldn't buy a Cali.
I suspect I'll now get quite a bit of abuse.....

Back