Best VW California Dedicated Forum by Miles :)

1. Next Club Meet
    Brean Sands Club Meet 18-21 May 2017 - More Details Here
    Dismiss Notice

Mercedes Marco Polo Latest Info.

Discussion in 'Light Hearted Chit Chat' started by Wolfsburg, Dec 21, 2016.

1. calicasas

calicasas VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180
    Likewise, serious contender now against the Cali. We are also looking to change later this year or early next. I will need to be convinced either through new T7 or the new Marco Polo. The T6 just doesn't cut it at the moment for me. Reality is that VW are unlikely to bring out a T7 in the next 18 months...

2. Jonathan Duke

Jonathan Duke VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:

Ohh My, oh my!! I think I'll be having nightmares tonight, after so much cheese. That video alone, should be more than sufficient to rule the Marco Polo out of any future considerations of mine anyway..... Whomever directed those actors!!! What were they thinking?? I can't believe they wouldn't even drive through that shallow ford!

Well..... It looks like MB blatantly copy-cat'd the Cali.... They even copied the "easy to steal spare wheel" idea! Doh! A very strange video indeed..... Maybe it appeals to potential jerks, who buy Mercs? I can't understand it anyway..... The #vanlife and #tinyhome movements are huge, and growing so fast..... The future is bright for vans, but I think MB have got the demographic completely wrong with this video.

3. blakeley

blakeley VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    Why do people keep saying that Mercedes stole the design and layout?

It is VW that copied the layout as Westfalia make the Marco Polo and they are the ones that come up with this layout many many years ago

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Kmann

Kmann Iben & Henrik VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 102
    Year:
    Because it is the truth i suppose. According to Westfalia, the VW came first and Mercedes about 20 years later. Then you can discuss form and features in the solution. But the first car driving around – as a camper – Westfalia fitted was a VW:

"The history of Westfalia conversions began in 1951 with one customer’s special wish. When Westfalia in Wiedenbrück created the so-called “Camping Box”, especially designed for an officer in the British Forces stationed in Germany, he had a simple request: equip a VW transit van as a home."

You can read the whole story here … READ STORY

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  5. soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon VIP Member

Thats look very interesting. Nice link

6. Gary&Heather

Gary&Heather and Lewis VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180
    Year:
    Very interesting indeed.......:)

7. jess

jess VIP Member

Yes, very very interesting :embarrased

8. Jonathan Duke

Jonathan Duke VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    Where VW should certainly learn from MB, is that they should also sell the California through their premium passenger car tower, and not their van-centre tower.

I think this is a major failure of VW's - As the treatment/experience you receive from a van-centre falls very short of a California customer's expectation IMO.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Kmann

Kmann Iben & Henrik VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 102
    Year:
    You are so right – I totally agree!

On that point we still have god service, and a salesman that knows the California well (or even just a bit) to come. We had such horrible experience when we bought and collected our Callis (actually both). Not even a singe word of instruction on the handover. At the last place the two salesmen where both totally ignorants, maybe to hide their lack of insight. We got 100% better service – in the same shop 20 meters down the hall – when we bought our UP!

• Like Like x 1
  10. blakeley

blakeley VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Beach 150
    Year:
    I prefer the black leather to the cream, much more practical. Also leather is STANDARD , are you listening VW?

IMG_20170114_120242.jpg

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. HectorPascal

HectorPascal

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 204
    Year:
    A First Class Cabin or too much bling? DSCF7019.JPG

12. Billy

Billy VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180
    Everything the T6 should of been, those rear seats look more comfy than the Cali rear bench seat.

13. Michael G

Michael G VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140 4Motion
    Year:
    I don't really mind the missing bling in the Cali. In fact I think that is part of the whole deal and the heritage of the California. To get out in nature in a practical camper, meet people and to be without the niceties back home. Back to basics. We use our van to go climbing, go mountain biking and skiing with our 2 kids. I would not want a luxury van in those situations I would be too worried about the car. The Cali offers a functional van for us to get out more together. The Marco Polo may have its own segment but my feel is that it is missing the Cali spirit.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. soulstyledevon

Agree
    The 2 & 3 seater could both do with some improvement. The seat is at least 10 years old with no improvement in the T6 from what I can see. Surely things have moved on from its first inception...???

Looking at the link above, the van interior looks far more practical than I first thought. Obviously would like to see one in person, but from the most recent pictures I think it looks very robust with a nice modern touch. California materials work very well but things have definitely moved on in the last 10years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Digger

Digger VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    The MP is nice and will suit many. From my perspective the Cali fits my purposes and I am happy. That is what matters. If not happy then buy something else that fits your needs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ciki62

Ciki62

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 180 4Motion
    Year:
    California is a LOT more practical. Not so luxury but simpler and more useful for everyday living.
    bTW. How you move from right seat to left and from front seats to the back with this super nice middle console in the Mercedes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. soulstyledevon

My California has been practical, that I can't deny.
    However the vehicle was released in 2003 and has barely changed in the last 14 years with the T6 taking us another 6-7 years forward. Volkswagen have been lazy not updating the interior. A new dash only updates 5% of this expensive vehicle. More consideration should have made in the rear of the T6.
    I guess the lack of competition maybe the problem. The Marco Polo can only be a positive thing on the California and fingers crossed finally forcing VW to up their game.

18. Digger

Digger VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150
    Year:
    Apart from maybe leather as no cost option what would you change in the vehicle? I think it not only looks smart but is truly functional and dare I say attractive. My only quibble would be the sliding cupboard doors but silicone lube is all that is required.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Roger Boeken

Roger Boeken calisutra VIP Member

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
    Year:
    I believe the 'new dash 'as you call it adds much more than 5% change. What can/needs to be changed in the ktichen ? A fridge is a fridge, the standheater is as good as it gets, a gas stove and a sink what more can we wish for ? Not changing things can also be an advantage : many companies make accessories that fit multiple generations of the cali and when you need a spare part you don't have to specify year and month it was built hoping they still have it for your car... The order books are filled for at least another year , why should they change one bit ?

20. soulstyledevon

The seat could be made more comfortable for sleeping. The multiflex could be improved, different finishes on interior plastics, improvements to the roof to help avoid trapping the fabric. The blinds could be improved, the handbrake fouling swivel seats is another issue, has roof corrosion been sorted...??? Roof bed could be made more comfortable.
    Still lots that can be improved.
    The T6 got a shiny dashboard and some extra lights. It needed a lot more...!!!