Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mercedes Marco Polo Latest Info 2017

Turns out the the HZ1 heater is standard equipment on the MP in Switzerland. The dealer told me that each country has a different list of standard equipment just to make exact comparisons difficult. Also 3 year guarantee for Swiss vans as opposed to 2 years in France. Serious calculations will be required.

It's great to see that manufacturers offer a harmonized product range across the EU. Worth staying in eh?

Received a brochure in the post last week followed by a call from my local dealer to see if I had any questions. More than I ever received from a VW dealer who always made me feel like I was inconveniencing him!

Received a brochure in the post last week followed by a call from my local dealer to see if I had any questions. More than I ever received from a VW dealer who always made me feel like I was inconveniencing him!
Hi Lisa do you mind me asking who the dealer is? I haven't come across one that can discuss an order / spec and my dealer doesn't even have the brochure!

All the best

Hi. When my Cali order was delayed (a few weeks ago), I looked into a Marco Polo with a serious view to cancelling my Cali order and moving to MP. I called my local (Worcester) MB dealer and he had one coming in June. I spoke with MB UK and asked them a large number of questions - how many leisure batteries (only one), price of the heater (lots), possibility of 4-wheel drive (no), amongst many others. By the end of the day the incoming MP had been sold. Full list price! No discounts available, said MB dealer.

I did call a few other dealers. I had to educate each one - they haven't a clue these things are on route to them (generally).

After deciding to continue with Cali order, my order had free upgrade to DSG due to manual gearbox with 204 engine issue. That gave me the chance to upgrade to 4motion - finances have improved since October order - and my dealer was able to maintain pre-increase price and maintain 8% pre-VAT discount I had negotiated.

Then I find my build has gone from unconfirmed week 17 to status 20 week 12. With the new spec.

So glad I stayed with Cali. After so long deliberating over my Cali order I can't believe how easy it was to be swayed by a flash looking sink and a split screen tailgate. With a bit of leather! I've never owned a Cali before (soon to be rectified), but I genuinely believe I would have been so disappointed with a MP - great look/bling/style, but Cali seems so much more functional somehow. But what do I know....yet.

I'm sure that the MP will suit many tastes, and tug many heart strings, but from one who was so nearly swayed - I'm glad I stayed put. Only time will tell if I made the correct decision.

The grass is clearly not greener then. :)

Had a foot operated 'handbrake' once, glad to get back to a hand operated one. It's not a natural operation lifting your leg to do that.
I hardly use the handbrake on our Cali. It is automatic so you sit at the lights with your foot on the brake and even on hills it has hillstart so you don't need the handbrake there.
So I am not sure that it would matter...... although, to be fair, I have never driven one!!

Not followed the entire thread but was interested to see in Europe that Westfalia had an old Mercedes conversion called the Marco Polo... much like they once had an old VW conversion called the California

I saw not one but two Marco Polos in the car park (holds about 60 cars) at work yesterday! Something to do with them being made around here I suppose. Or rather, the base vehicle is made here and then shipped to Germany and back for the Westy conversion.

Hope to have mine in a month or so.

I see the Marco Polo got a 5 Star NCAP rating last month, VW have never actually had the Cali tested ( in California form) Maybe they know it won't score very highly.

The T5 Kombi scored as 4 star in 2013. The MP version tested was the Activity (Similar to Beach).

The T5 Kombi scored as 4 star in 2013. The MP version tested was the Activity (Similar to Beach).

One thing you missed is the Kombi does not have a big hole cut out of the roof so I don't think that the Kombi can be compared to a Cali. The NCAP testing that the Marco Polo went through was on an actual campervan.

One thing you missed is the Kombi does not have a big hole cut out of the roof so I don't think that the Kombi can be compared to a Cali. The NCAP testing that the Marco Polo went through was on an actual campervan.
No. Did not miss the roof. The response was to highlight the last VW test was for the Kombi / T5 as VW California has never been tested. Only information available to date until the T6 is tested (if ever).

I see the Marco Polo got a 5 Star NCAP rating last month, VW have never actually had the Cali tested ( in California form) Maybe they know it won't score very highly.

Really surprised a camper van got 5 stars. That's impressive :thanks

I won't be doing anything until we know where we are going with Diesel engines. Will take a look at the NCAP review though.

We have loved the look of the Marco Polo ever since the new version was lauched, I really think VW has missed a trick by keeping the interior so bloody dull and GREY, grey floor, grey blinds, grey roof, grey mattress .. I could go on.

The interior of the MP looks a much happer and brighter place to be and those rear seats look a damn sight more comfortable that then awful rear bench seat in the back of our Cali

15C313_013_D218931-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq0Cbod69uCGnYju6GtBtOgVn8Ih8VNi8kQS3VVLczPwM.jpg

We have loved the look of the Marco Polo ever since the new version was lauched, I really think VW has missed a trick by keeping the interior so bloody dull and GREY, grey floor, grey blinds, grey roof, grey mattress .. I could go on.

The interior of the MP looks a much happer and brighter place to be and those rear seats look a damn sight more comfortable that then awful rear bench seat in the back of our Cali

15C313_013_D218931-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq0Cbod69uCGnYju6GtBtOgVn8Ih8VNi8kQS3VVLczPwM.jpg
Yet to see one in the flesh but it's all in the eye of the beholder. I dislike the shape and interior of the MP and like the shape of the Cali and it's grey interior. In my case exterior as well

Mike

Yet to see one in the flesh but it's all in the eye of the beholder. I dislike the shape and interior of the MP and like the shape of the Cali and it's grey interior. In my case exterior as well

Mike

It's also longer which means it pushes itself into van conversions based on the LWB transporter, many of them with a loo in the back.

I looks to me that the MP is also grey in grey (and beige). Anyway, I find the whole design vulgar in a sort of old-fashioned way. It looks more that a glass fibre yacht inside. Much too much "bling". Really not my taste at all … not to mention the whole dashboard area. But that is all just down to individual taste.

One of the cornerstones in the VW is the awning, chairs and extra table for outside. It is really a pity that they did not find a better solution for the additional chairs and seats, other than occupying a lot of the space in the back. No windows in the popup - really? ;-)

I really can not see the reason that would make me want to change …

Back