Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mercedes Marco Polo Latest Info 2017

For me it's simple. It's not a VW camper van. End off.
Most will see that as a silly point but it's a lifestyle thing not a vehicle thing.

VW Calis residuals will always outstrip the compo.

The VW based Westy is a better van in my op.

exactly sidepod ... if u want style u buy a transporter ... if u want a workhorse u buy a transit ... if u want neither u buy a vito ...

Having invested the last 15months or so and a considerable amount of money in my Cali, now is not the time for me to be reading of an alternative. I considered the MP before opting for the Cali and dismissed it as not to my taste .

As that particular bus has now left I hope that it's good enough to provide some competition but not that good.

Mike

I would welcome the choice. I would welcome the competition. I would particularly welcome someone with a better idea of customer service muscling in on the act.

However my Cali is a utility vehicle. It is there to be my flexible friend that digs me out of the mire whenever I drive myself into it.

If I want to make it look pretty then I can tart it up. If I want to throw furniture and rubble into it without being too fussed about the interior then I can do. If I want to trundle over some unmade track in the most vile and wild of weather I can do without being too precious about what is, after all, a van.

I'm not on a campsite to look good, to wallow in polished furniture, to luxuriate in leather: I'm there because the beast of a machine got me there and will get me out again. We love to knock VW, all its fragile bits, all the unwanted flash electronics. I trust Albert. He has been storm tested, crash tested and old-biddy tested and each time he just keeps getting better.

I want tough reliability not frills and so far that's what I have.

Doesn't stop me drooling though :shocked

MB looks good but we had Merc Vito's and they were prone to rust. I note MB state 30 year perforation warranty but we had rust before 5 years and they were just passenger carriers. All I would like from VW is for the roof to be carbon fibre or plastic rather than aluminium. Replacing large number of vans with identical new carbon fibre roofs might even save them money in the long run.

GJ, I think they offer a 4x4 version in Germany etc.

As for residuals versus VW, it's about Westfalia not MB. They have been converting Mercs for years, try and find a cheap second hand one.

Having 3 kids the beach was the only real workable option for me.

if only Toyota made a camper - reliability and ease of ownership is everything to me and the best cars I've owned have been Japanese. They may have been boring but I did not have to keep popping to the dealer with niggles.
Our Granvia was a fantastic vehicle, we just couldn't all fit in!
The Merc now offers auto and all wheel drive so ticks our boxes.
I'm curious what they do with the external chairs, that could waste a lot of space?
We have our Cali for keeps and love it.

A few things I'm liking, split reclining rear seats, split covers for hob and sink enabling more working space, opening rear window to tailgate, foot operated handbrake ( I think) very nice handy touches.
Had a foot operated 'handbrake' once, glad to get back to a hand operated one. It's not a natural operation lifting your leg to do that.

Someone at Merc looked at the California and thought: "Oh yes we will have a piece of that. Let's see what we can cobble together. They did and it is".

The Marco Polo is not new, it has been in mainland Europe for many many years, it is just new to the UK.

People that say 'well it's not a VW' sheep come to mind

I would welcome the choice. I would welcome the competition. I would particularly welcome someone with a better idea of customer service muscling in on the act.

However my Cali is a utility vehicle. It is there to be my flexible friend that digs me out of the mire whenever I drive myself into it.

If I want to make it look pretty then I can tart it up. If I want to throw furniture and rubble into it without being too fussed about the interior then I can do. If I want to trundle over some unmade track in the most vile and wild of weather I can do without being too precious about what is, after all, a van.

I'm not on a campsite to look good, to wallow in polished furniture, to luxuriate in leather: I'm there because the beast of a machine got me there and will get me out again. We love to knock VW, all its fragile bits, all the unwanted flash electronics. I trust Albert. He has been storm tested, crash tested and old-biddy tested and each time he just keeps getting better.

I want tough reliability not frills and so far that's what I have.

Doesn't stop me drooling though :shocked
Perhaps Mercedes will offer an optional valet pod for the Driver & Passengers to be processed through before entering the cream leather yacht finished interior.

My post above was not in criticism of the MP, more simply putting the Cali as I find it: Reliable, tough and dependable.

A few months ago I posted my experience of trying to find out about the MP introduction into the UK. I want to look at one, sit in it and drive it and think about all the things I use Albert for when it's not sat stationary in a field being a lounge, kitchen and bedroom. My enquiries were everything to do with the lamentable VW dealer organisation that sells California's, and the arrogant, dismissive customer service that supposedly looks after the buyer.

Sadly of about 5 MB dealers visited, there was a mix of "what's a MP?"....... "it will not be sold by us, try the next dealer 30 miles away" (who then told me to try the dealer I had just left), .... "We will not see it until 2017 at least. OH! Thank you for giving me a press release that it is to come to the UK in 2016 :oops:" ..........

Two said they will send me more information when they had it. I'm still waiting but definitely on the mailing list as I now get emails from MB dealers almost weekly.

One thing that has evolved with me in the time that I have had a Cali is all the other uses it can be put to, as a load carrier, long distance cruiser, spare bedroom, etc. The load carrying bit especially eliminates all other conversions that do not have a sliding rear seat arrangement.

Would I really be keen on carting old tyres, a secondhand desk, cartons of old books etc, in the habitation area? My recent experiences with Albert.

Would I be willing to allow a couple of 10 year old boys to bounce all over the vehicle when using it as a spare bedroom?

Would I really be happy climbing into it after parking it in a bog and going for a squelching, muddy walk?

The Marco Polo is not new, it has been in mainland Europe for many many years, it is just new to the UK.

People that say 'well it's not a VW' sheep come to mind

The company my partner works for bought the base vehicle as a trial vehicle.. It leaked like a sieve and they went back to VW. All that glitters is obviously not gold. The upside is that more and more pop tops are appearing at the shows and there is nothing like competition to up the anti.

Out of interest are Mercedes finally galvanising their vans? I would hope so with something like this.

My friend owns a camper bodyshop and he gets a lot of rotten mercs coming in which doesn't seem to tally with the cars which have a reputation of lasting. Seems year 6 or 7 onwards the rust starts to show its face.

Shame the inside decor looks like a pimp wagon.
Not looking very muddy campsite friendly

Out of interest are Mercedes finally galvanising their vans? I would hope so with something like this.

My friend owns a camper bodyshop and he gets a lot of rotten mercs coming in which doesn't seem to tally with the cars which have a reputation of lasting. Seems year 6 or 7 onwards the rust starts to show its face.
The last generation Vito had a bit of a rust issue but the new generation has had this addressed apparently. MB took their eye off quality for a while but it seem to be returning (same with the cars).

Either way it's competition and the chance to hear something a bit different than "take it or leave it, I'm not too thrilled about selling you a Cali anyway and if you buy off a converter the chances are that we have sold him the base vehicle and made as nearly the same profit at less than half the trouble involved".

Had a foot operated 'handbrake' once, glad to get back to a hand operated one. It's not a natural operation lifting your leg to do that.
Better for spinning the drivers seat though.

I know the story with the cars. In the mid-90's they were built like tanks (there are still many 190's on the road) and the new MD (an accountant) decided they were over engineered and ordered them to stop galvanising. This led to all sorts of problems and by late 2002/early 2003 they started to galvanise again. I don't know the dates for the vans but I am pretty sure they galvanise now. I also seem to remember that the vito and T series VW's share the same platform, they split the development costs.

The VW Crafter and Merc Sprinter share platform but the Merc V do not have the same platform as the Transporter to the best of my limited knowledge. Most Merc V's were built in Spain. I know a local taxi company who use the Merc V passenger carriers and they still suffer rust issues ( although Mercedes do fix them if regularly serviced by Mercedes)

I looked at a few of these at the Düsseldorf show in summer 2015, have to say, exactly that hit me, style over substance, was far to 'glitzy' inside and appeared very easily damaged....

VW seems more 'staid' & 'robust' inside, if not under the bonnet !
That is exactly why I went with Cali instead. Among other things that is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westfalia (who fit out the MP) have been bought out twice since they built the T4s, but I doubt they've gone soft and built an interior that can't compete with a Cali for practicality and toughness. I suspect (a lot of conjecture I know) that should you wish, you'll be able to spec one in materials that don't make it look like a night club. (and I suspect that the wardrobe door won't need holding together with gaffer tape after a few uses ;)).
Many posts here slate the Cali for being too bland, too workmanlike. Many beach owners are paying to upgrade a really practical and tough dashboard for a piano black one only half as practical, yet when you are offered a bit of bling by Mercedes, many break out in a cold sweat. You have to remember you are a difficult and mixed crowd.
The biggest downside I've seen with it so far is the extra length. As someone already blessed with an extra few inches ;), I know it is not always welcomed "in everyday use".

Back