Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mercedes Marco Polo Latest Info 2017

The biggest downside I've seen with it so far is the extra length.
I think it is 5150mm long so only 155mm more than the SWB Cali.

I think it is 5150mm long so only 155mm more than the SWB Cali.
An earlier reply indicated 23.6cm longer. I'm out and about so can't do the research, but in terms of it being an everyday alternative to a car, it is quite a crucial factor.

does one have to ask if one can come aboard ...

From the respective MB and VW websites:
Marco Polo is 5140mm long
California T6 is 4904mm long

So a difference of 236mm.
Yes , you're correct. From memory I wrongly thought the Cali was 4995cm long.

An earlier reply indicated 23.6cm longer. I'm out and about so can't do the research, but in terms of it being an everyday alternative to a car, it is quite a crucial factor.
Mostly located in the wheelbase plus a bit on the rear overhang. Strangely it has a shorter front axle overhang. Looking at a photo I'd have thought the MP was a long nosed vehicle. Not sure how the Driver's head position compares between the Cali and the MP, to the front bumper that is.

From the respective MB and VW websites:
Marco Polo is 5140mm long
California T6 is 4904mm long
So a difference of 236mm.

So MP is 9 1/4" longer than a Cali.
Just 2" shorter than my LWB T4 at 5189mm

I reckon that has you overhanging many a supermarket car parking space.

Size matters when it comes to campers that you want as a go anywhere vehicle. A LWB Cali based conversion I dismissed when I was in buying mode at it removed a car parking space from my drive for starters.

Can anyone advise the height of the MP?

Size matters when it comes to campers that you want as a go anywhere vehicle. A LWB Cali based conversion I dismissed when I was in buying mode at it removed a car parking space from my drive for starters.

1980mm

Ah! Thank you. I had looked and looked at the MP Brochure but I think my thoughts were elsewhere and couldn't see it :shocked

At least it is under the 2m.

Ah! Thank you. I had looked and looked at the MP Brochure but I think my thoughts were elsewhere and couldn't see it :shocked

At least it is under the 2m.

The dimensions are near the end of the brochure. Sketches of different views.

Its a matter of choice but one thing matters. It is a camper and will allow people freedom to enjoy their travels. That is all that really counts. Buy what suits you and enjoy!:happy

So MP is 9 1/4" longer than a Cali.
Just 2" shorter than my LWB T4 at 5189mm

I reckon that has you overhanging many a supermarket car parking space.
Not much point having an extra 9" if the boot is full of chairs and table. The stowage of those items is what sets apart the Cali from other VW conversions and the MP. I wonder why they didn't copy the Cali in those respects.

1,980 I think, very faint print in online brochure.

Sorry about duplication, it's a problem with the Forum in that it doesn't give latest replies when coming in from an email, just to the point when the email was sent out from the Forum.

Last edited:
For my personal taste, i never liked the MB Marco Polo. Thru the last years, searching for our first used cali (they are hard to get in DK), we tried some Marco Polos on our way, but never fell in love – not even close. They just didn't feel right. And then there was the whole rust issue. Besides from my (friends) experience the MB is not always a walk in the park either. They have mechanical and technical challenges as well.

I guess my heart would point into a Alu-Cab build Discovery Conversion if VW where forbidden to me … i hope that never happens :D

Anyways, the biggest turnoff on the MB– besides design, is the chairs and table in the trunk. What a bummer! :headbang

The tables and chairs would be something that must be addressed before I moved into one. I've owned converted vans in the past and the tables and chairs take up valuable space in what's a very compact camper anyway. As for the dash issue, the latest piano black T6 dash looks a bit bling.
I'm sure Westfalia have used the right products inside ,?fit for purpose

When I had 'Company cars' of different manufacture the worst service I received was from Mercedes, 20 odd years later it still puts me off Mercedes. Best was Ford.

The AMG styling reminds me of a basking shark, too much in your face.
I think a Camper should be of neutral appearance in any setting.

One big plus for the MP is it has twice the luggage weight capacity. Thinner body metal?

I have a 2005 2.2 cdi marco polo, for sale, as I am now the proud owner of a 4 motion cali.
To be fair the Marco polo , has never let me down, excellent mechanics , interior comparable to Cali, but plastics not as durable.Loads of room under the poptop for duvet and ladder, non electric which I would favour if I bought my Cali new, time will tell on that one.
The all round vision is not so ggod on the MP as the Cali, but don,t knock it untill you have tried it , I always say.
I bought it 5 years ago and expect to resell it for a loss of perhaps 2000 euros tops.
Reason for selling ,I just missed my T4!!!

lots of negative comments about the MB. For me I think its great that there is finally some competition. Having read the brochure the MB possibly looks to be the more cost effective option. I mean if I was a major manufacturer and I wanted a piece of the California market I'd have to make a better product ar a lower price. I have read the long running saga of VWs attitude to AlanCs and Berndros's issue wth excessive engine wear. Also the fact that after 3 months wating my van order is still unconfirmed build week 16. Seems VW treat their customers with total disdain. Week 16 puts me in the higher road tax bracket. I am going to check out the comp first thing after Christmas. I think MB have copied the California and hopefully improved it. The only concern for me is the residuals. Residual value is importantl to me as this justifies the significant outlay. Until the MP is a few years old we won't know that. But then if the vehicle is £10k less to start with MB have a head start on residuals.

• Informative
Reactions: RFH
Is the kitchen equipment aluminium and factory fitted?

I must admit I did look at the Westphalia Club Joker 2016 model before committing to my California. I thought it too plastic and did not like the layout. They also tried to cram too much into the space. There was no hesitation in then deciding on the Cali. I have owned too many VW's to move back to Mercedes. The only Merc I owned which did not rust was a Hymer A Class and I totally agree with GJ re usefulness. The van you buy must suit your use and be multi purpose. The Marco Polo looks great but imagine dogs or young children on board:Nailbiting.

At last an alternative to VW, I used to be a long time VW customer (Polo/Golf/Passat/T4) until they screwed me twice in a row, the second one being the clincher as it jeopardised the safety of the vehicle (details on application), ever since I vowed never to deal with VW again.

Since then we have rented a Cali for holidays but have never been tempted to buy given our experience with VW, but we have been looking to buy an equivalent and this looks like a good bet. Looking forward to a test drive, etc.

When I was looking to buy in januari the Marco Polo was delivery in november..
as my caly was in june (ended up beginning of juli)..
so that was the major hassle point for me
also much more "standard "items in a MC compaired to a calli.
Ended up with a nice calli coast and never looked back...
cheers
Peter

Back