Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mercedes Marco Polo Latest Info 2017

This seems like this New Horizon variant is the direct competitor for the Beach.

Last edited:

This seems like this New Horizon variant is the direct competitor for the Beach.
No bed in the roof though from what I can see.

We will seriously be considering the Marco Polo when we change next year, apart from the lack of storage for the chairs in the tailgate it ticks all the boxes for us. I think it will make a big dent in the California sales over the next few years which is actually a good thing.

Bilbos were making one of these about 4 years ago. Being Bilbos they had done their homework and they were working with Mercedes. It struck us as blingy even then. It did have a sliding door on each side. Presumably the demand was not there because I don't think that they continued with them.
And we eventually bought a T5 Cali from them (new) and they gave me a good price for the T4 Cali. Not seduced by the Merc I am pleased to say and v. happy with the Cali.

Last edited:
I would consider the Marco Polo Horizon if it were to be released in the UK. Especially if it was available in 4wd.

Don't like the thought of the storage of the chairs in the boot (if the same as the FF Marco Polo) or the look of those curtains in the back tho!

I'll be keeping my Beach for another couple of years, and am hoping that the T7 will be realeased / announced about then!

Now the new Crafter is released, I'm hoping the VW design team are focused on the new Transporter and not a new version of the Caddy

Last edited:
Missus and I are off to Stuttgart by air on Monday. We plan to drop by a Merc dealer and have a good prod around a Marco Polo. Maybe a test drive too. Not staying more than a few days in the Black Forest otherwise I would see about renting one.

Err.. is this post heresy?

Missus and I are off to Stuttgart by air on Monday. We plan to drop by a Merc dealer and have a good prod around a Marco Polo. Maybe a test drive too. Not staying more than a few days in the Black Forest otherwise I would see about renting one.

Err.. is this post heresy?

Photo's and a report when you return please?

Today we dropped into a large dealership in Singen near the Bodensee. There was one white Marco Polo there and we spent about 90 minutes crawling all over it. The separate van showroom was lovely and warm at 23 degrees despite it being -1 outside and light snow. Initial impressions are very favourable with a nicer finish overall. The main pluses are that the extra length is noticeable lying in the upper bed which keeps my feet off the cold metal structure when stretched out (i am a smidge less than 6 feet long). The lower bed seems generous width-wise - we measured 110cm.

Since 2007 the Vito corrosion was sorted (according to the salesman) and from 2018 there a new bunch of engines due so we will probably wait - a six-cyl diesel sounds nice.

We took a bunch of pictures but nothing you can't see on their on-line brochure, I suppose.
Here is the vehicle we looked at though.DSCF7036.JPG DSCF7035.JPG

We will seriously be considering the Marco Polo when we change next year, apart from the lack of storage for the chairs in the tailgate it ticks all the boxes for us. I think it will make a big dent in the California sales over the next few years which is actually a good thing.
Likewise, serious contender now against the Cali. We are also looking to change later this year or early next. I will need to be convinced either through new T7 or the new Marco Polo. The T6 just doesn't cut it at the moment for me. Reality is that VW are unlikely to bring out a T7 in the next 18 months...

Typical marco polo : take a look at
go to minute 7:00 : 2 inches of water on the road makes them stop and they need a map (not GPS!?) to find another road...
No cup holders in the front cabin, only an ugly bump inbetween the front seats that makes it very difficult to go to the back of the car. No dedicated buttons on the control unit for standheater or fridge. No GPS with intuitive touchscreen but switches and buttons..

Ohh My, oh my!! I think I'll be having nightmares tonight, after so much cheese. That video alone, should be more than sufficient to rule the Marco Polo out of any future considerations of mine anyway..... Whomever directed those actors!!! What were they thinking?? I can't believe they wouldn't even drive through that shallow ford!

Well..... It looks like MB blatantly copy-cat'd the Cali.... They even copied the "easy to steal spare wheel" idea! Doh! A very strange video indeed..... Maybe it appeals to potential jerks, who buy Mercs? I can't understand it anyway..... The #vanlife and #tinyhome movements are huge, and growing so fast..... The future is bright for vans, but I think MB have got the demographic completely wrong with this video.

Why do people keep saying that Mercedes stole the design and layout?

It is VW that copied the layout as Westfalia make the Marco Polo and they are the ones that come up with this layout many many years ago

Why do people keep saying that Mercedes stole the design and layout?

It is VW that copied the layout as Westfalia make the Marco Polo and they are the ones that come up with this layout many many years ago

Because it is the truth i suppose. According to Westfalia, the VW came first and Mercedes about 20 years later. Then you can discuss form and features in the solution. But the first car driving around – as a camper – Westfalia fitted was a VW:

"The history of Westfalia conversions began in 1951 with one customer’s special wish. When Westfalia in Wiedenbrück created the so-called “Camping Box”, especially designed for an officer in the British Forces stationed in Germany, he had a simple request: equip a VW transit van as a home."

You can read the whole story here … READ STORY

Last edited:

Thats look very interesting. Nice link

Where VW should certainly learn from MB, is that they should also sell the California through their premium passenger car tower, and not their van-centre tower.

I think this is a major failure of VW's - As the treatment/experience you receive from a van-centre falls very short of a California customer's expectation IMO.

You are so right – I totally agree!

On that point we still have god service, and a salesman that knows the California well (or even just a bit) to come. We had such horrible experience when we bought and collected our Callis (actually both). Not even a singe word of instruction on the handover. At the last place the two salesmen where both totally ignorants, maybe to hide their lack of insight. We got 100% better service – in the same shop 20 meters down the hall – when we bought our UP!

A First Class Cabin or too much bling?DSCF7019.JPG

Back