MFD 1 Upgrade

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Chaps,

The new bus has the MFD1 Nav/TV unit (2003).
I've done some preliminary research into converting this head unit to take iPhone 6 input and reverse camera input.

I think it's a non starter after iPhone 4 plus the single input won't allow reverse switch activation of the camera.

Probably the double DIN head unit needs changing.

Any experience here?

P.

I'm not helping until we see photos / details of the new van ;)

IMG_0170.PNG Ah ok. Well I've paid deposit and awaiting various admin stuff, number plate transfer/ collection arrangements around hols etc.

Basically it's the holy grail. Very last of the T4's, 2003, 150 etc. She's a peach. Identical to the above.

P..

Wow. Well Jealous. Has to be a good investment too. Good colour to match the upholstery too.

So your stereo. Sorry, can't help you......... ;)

I think you are pushing water up hill with the old one. In search of trying to keep things original, I've a single DIN Gamma in mine, with a bluetooth Nokia kit in the back (for hands free calls), and another bluetooth jobby through the CD (? not 100% sure) port. I occasionally have a DAB connected radio through the aux-in (part of the bluetooth jobby). IT'S A MESS AND COMPLICATED, and still doesn't do Sat Nav.

I think as you are lucky to have a double Din slot (most have a steel frame behind limiting to single DIN), I'd go and pick something up to date that blends as well as possible with the van. You can buy one to mirror your phone (car play?), get DAB, a massive screen for your camera, digital TV (I suspect yours is analogue?). Most come with illumination that can be changed to blend with the dash as night.

You can obviously keep your original unit safe and refit in the unlikely event you come to sell it and want to remain as it left the factory.

I know it's natural to look at Blaupunkt but that one looks a little out of date. It may be worth posting under a new topic thread as some t5 owners have been fitting top spec but sometimes Chinese units. Sounds horrible but it's just a black screen in a thin surround. I think these units have carplay which effectively mirrors your phone on its large screen. So as you'll naturally keep your phone upto date, your stereo is always up to date.
I'm getting out of my depth here - probably easy to tell, but I think there is some logic.
Preston ICE do some of the units, and their website may be a good place to start?

Good Intel WFA.

So it looks as if Blaupunkt have stepped away from the market? They don't appear to have an updated unit?

Alpine do a nice CarPlay one but I'm not sure it has a stand alone Nav function, it just uses Apple maps. Not good if there is no signal.

I like the idea of mirroring the iPhone on screen, I can have live OS maps tracking progress streaming from my phone.

P.

Yup. I don't know what the T6 owners do when there is no signal..... Perhaps the VW units still have some basic mapping? (I didn't think so). I carry an old and small TomTom for those occasions. I know with Google maps losing the signal mid route isn't a problem, but you can't plan a new trip without data. (unless you have downloaded that area of the map in advance).

It could be the VW units just revert to dead reckoning (as opposed to satellite plus dead reckoning) on loss of signal?

Or a ship's chronometer and trigonometry? ;)

It could be the VW units just revert to dead reckoning (as opposed to satellite plus dead reckoning) on loss of signal?
Never had a problem with my VW SatNav, even in Central London. In Paris travelling the A86 tunnel which is about 10km long it seemed to display the turn-offs accurately so must receive some data from the car, such as speed.

Never had a problem with my VW SatNav, even in Central London. In Paris travelling the A86 tunnel which is about 10km long it seemed to display the turn-offs accurately so must receive some data from the car, such as speed.
It does. Distance calculated from ABS wheel speed sensor input and change of direction via Coriolis sensor inside the head unit hence dead reckoning navigation.

What I was meaning was getting a head unit that has a navigation facility that doesn't rely on input from the iPhone and cellular data only.

Some CarPlay units are solely a mirroring device for the phone.

@sidepod you should be aware, I'm sure you probably are, that CarPlay only works with Apples native iOS apps and a very limited number of third party products. Any ideas you have of tracking your progress with streaming OS maps are probably a pipedream - certainly in the short term. Both Kenwood and Pioneer have CarPlay units with standalone Nav. Not sure about rear camera inputs though.

@sidepod you should be aware, I'm sure you probably are, that CarPlay only works with Apples native iOS apps and a very limited number of third party products. Any ideas you have of tracking your progress with streaming OS maps are probably a pipedream - certainly in the short term. Both Kenwood and Pioneer have CarPlay units with standalone Nav. Not sure about rear camera inputs though.
Ah, interesting.. I was under the impression it did what Apple TV does and simple mirrors whatever happens to be displayed on the phone screen? Obvs not.
Thanks Mr C

I've just seen this tread, it interesting to hear about options for upgrading the MFD 1. I like the idea of getting a Cali with a MFD 1, I would love a Cali with sat-nav, and possible TV/DVD, Reverse Camera/ iPhone connection. However I have done a little research and most of the good technical info is in Dutch or German, so I haven't had the time to translate and read much yet.
But I'm thinking that with the age of the unit it may be better to replace the unit with something more modern, I think that at a minimum it should have Radio and Sat-Nav, then TV/DVD, iPhone connectivity.
It will be interesting to see what options are available to replace the MFD 1

I've just seen this tread, it interesting to hear about options for upgrading the MFD 1. I like the idea of getting a Cali with a MFD 1, I would love a Cali with sat-nav, and possible TV/DVD, Reverse Camera/ iPhone connection. However I have done a little research and most of the good technical info is in Dutch or German, so I haven't had the time to translate and read much yet.
But I'm thinking that with the age of the unit it may be better to replace the unit with something more modern, I think that at a minimum it should have Radio and Sat-Nav, then TV/DVD, iPhone connectivity.
It will be interesting to see what options are available to replace the MFD 1
Replace it with anything that is 2xDIN size.
Google 'dual din head unit'

Would it be advisable to buy a Cali with a MFD-1 if the plan would be to upgrade it? I presume it would be easier to upgrade with the the Cali already having a Double Din fitted.

Would it be advisable to buy a Cali with a MFD-1 if the plan would be to upgrade it? I presume it would be easier to upgrade with the the Cali already having a Double Din fitted.
Eh? MFD-1 is double DIN

Sorry I phrased my question poorly. I was wondering that if a person intended fitting a modern double din radio/satnav to a T4 Cali, would the conversion be easier if the Cali had a factory fitted MFD-1

Sorry I phrased my question poorly. I was wondering that if a person intended fitting a modern double din radio/satnav to a T4 Cali, would the conversion be easier if the Cali had a factory fitted MFD-1
Yep, (a strong guess) because those with single din units have a steel bar behind that needs removing to fit a double din.

Yes and it already has a factory dual din MFD1.

Now I would be impressed if you were going to swap that screen for an android tablet / mini ipad, and hide a DAB tuner behind, hard wired to the existing buttons!

.......hmmmmm? I'm liking the thinking.

I think I'll opt for the Alpine route.

If in doubt, throw money at it. :bananadance2

Back