Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Michelin CrossClimate+ 235/55 R17 - 103Y

BillyCasper

BillyCasper

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Goodyear Vector and Nokian Weatherproof appear to be highly regarded all season tyres. Has anybody fitted and used Michelin CrossClimate+? The reason I'm asking is that I've looked at a couple of reviews and it seems to me that the Michelins are bit more suitable for a slightly warmer and wetter climate like the UK whereas the Nokians for example are slightly more optimised for colder climates with more snow.

(Yes, I did search, found references the the Michelins, debate whether they made a CC+ suitable for a cali, but could find a thread to somebody who has used them.)

As long as the tyre fits your wheel and the load rating is sufficient then the Michelin's are quite adequate.

They are, as of my latest research last night, a bit more expensive than Goodyear Vectors.I can vouch for the vectors, having run for 30,000 very satisfactory miles on them, but not for the Michelins.

I know of no one who has Michelins, but I suspect any differences will be marginal. The Michelins are developed from a Summer tyre so maybe more suitable for cold and wet than the Goodyear, but probably very little to choose.

I am still hopping from one foot to another but will probably opt for the goodyear. This decision of mine changes hourly and will continue to do so until I press the order button on black circles !

GrannyJen, thanks for replying. I'd be interested in knowing which way you go what drove that final decision. Regards

Really difficult one as I believe on here the tried and tested are the Goodyear’s but I believe some have gone for the Michelin’s.
Probably too early for a comparison by someone who has gone from Goodyear to Michelin.

This seems a good report to compare:-

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92866/michelin-crossclimate-tyre-review

Michelin wins in the wet and dry with Goodyear in the Snow.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks T6 TFP and Teeboy. I'm not ready to change yet, but when I do I think that based on the info provided it's between the Michelin and Goodyear. Snow, where the Nokian excels is less important where I am and travel to.

Just put a set of Nokian Weatherproof (235/55/17) tyres on rims but not on Cali as yet so no usage data as yet. Personal choice after looking at the others.

The Auto Bild data is very surprising, particularly in the dry tests.

That the CrossClimate+ tyres seem to perform consistently throughout their life is a huge advantage too. Can’t see a downside, though haven’t looked at the price yet...

the nokian weatherproof are not snow tires ... but they go very well in the snow .. and also on the dirt road, grass and asphalt .... I strongly recommend them rather than other brands .... I tried them almost all .. and these seem to me the best and have in good price ..

We’ve had the Michelin Cross Climate’s on for a couple of thousand miles now. I’m not an experienced car person so can’t compare to much but I’ve felt really safe with them on in very wet conditions as well as heavy snow and ice. We live at the top of a 25% gradient hill and recently had the 3rd worst snow in the country (according to BBC) and the Cali navigated it superbly (150 DSG, not 4Motion). Really pleased with the tyres, if not the £650 price tag.

All that being said, it was the first snow since we’ve had the Cali so I can’t compare to anything else.

I went a long way with Michelin and Goodyear ... the first lasted a lot but the mixture hardened, the second ones were degraded .. the tread was broken .. according to many professionals the Goodyear are the worst .... in Italy the Nokian 480 euros mounted and balanced ....

All that being said, it was the first snow since we’ve had the Cali so I can’t compare to anything else.

You can.

You managed the snow, you did not crash, you felt confident. Say's it all. Everything else is academic. So some have better fuel consumption, some are better in the rain, some better in the dry,some better going from snow to slush to dry.

You felt confident. End of story. Not having a heart attack and feeling in control is actually what it's all about.

We have the michelin crossclimate+ for 1000 miles now and 1 ride of 350 miles in heavy snowfall in Germany. Very happy with them but cannot compare to others. The EU label gives them a better score than some of the competitors (B for fuel and B for rain) , I hope they will last long as they are very expensive.
If you think you will ever need to buy snow chains you may consider buying another size of tires as there are no chains approved by VW for the 235/55 R17. The only chains that possibly will fit are very expensive like the Maggi trak 4x4 LT46 (price around 300 Euro) .

If you have 4motion and driving rough road another michelin crossclimate may be interesting.
There is also a crossclimate SUV 235/55 R17 103V XL, according to michelin for SUV/4X4 driving 10% of the time on rough road. The only diference I can see is the lower speed index (V=240km/h instead of Y=300km/h) . What makes this tire better for rough road ? Profile is the same as crossclimate+ far as I can see on the pictures. However, If you use the tire finder on the michelin website it will never come up with these SUV tires if you tell you drive a cali 4 motion. But the specs (load index, speed index..) are ok.Price is about 10 euro higer for SUV tire.

Goodyear Vector and Nokian Weatherproof appear to be highly regarded all season tyres. Has anybody fitted and used Michelin CrossClimate+? The reason I'm asking is that I've looked at a couple of reviews and it seems to me that the Michelins are bit more suitable for a slightly warmer and wetter climate like the UK whereas the Nokians for example are slightly more optimised for colder climates with more snow.

(Yes, I did search, found references the the Michelins, debate whether they made a CC+ suitable for a cali, but could find a thread to somebody who has used them.)
Hi Billy,

I have just fitted new alloys with the Michelin CrossClimate+ 235/55 R17 103Y tyres on our Cali 4Motion (instead of their Primacy3 tyres), ready for our annual trip to Oberammergau. They were great on a 4hr drive home across the Severn Bridge during Tuesday's torrential rain and gales but won't be able to comment on their suitability in freezing weather and snow until the end of the month.

Ex-cali owner - now running a less glamorous Passat, but I have just opted for the Michelin Cross Climates.

The decider for me was this review - which showed that the Michelin was consistently good even when it has been worn down : http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/New-VS-4mm-VS-2mm-All-Season-Tyre-Performance.htm

Further update - our office is barn conversion and our overflow car park is a field - this time of year it is a mud bath - no-one else can get in or out - but the tyres let me get in and out without any trouble - it is actually amazing the difference a set of tyres can make

Have you thought about the Michelin Latitude Cross? I’ve put 25k miles on a set and I’m very pleased with them. Driven in snow and a small bit of off-road. They’ve proved very capable in all conditions as well as comfortable and reasonably quiet on motorway. I reckon I’ll theres still a minimum of 5k left on them, so to get over 30k miles out of a set is quite good.

F8A6CAE9-0AEA-44F6-ACC0-774D0147FCBE.jpeg

Have you thought about the Michelin Latitude Cross? I’ve put 25k miles on a set and I’m very pleased with them. Driven in snow and a small bit of off-road. They’ve proved very capable in all conditions as well as comfortable and reasonably quiet on motorway. I reckon I’ll theres still a minimum of 5k left on them, so to get over 30k miles out of a set is quite good.

View attachment 28879
unfortunately it does not have the snowflake symbol despite the good snow performance , unless you never travel to germany or austria in winter it may be a good alternative especially if you go ofroad.

Ex-cali owner - now running a less glamorous Passat, but I have just opted for the Michelin Cross Climates.

The decider for me was this review - which showed that the Michelin was consistently good even when it has been worn down : http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/New-VS-4mm-VS-2mm-All-Season-Tyre-Performance.htm
Thank you for sharing the link to the article.Unfortunately test results may vary with other tire size, you cannot extrapolate the results to all sizes of same tire. They used 185/65 R15 on Opel Corsa for the test. Anyway I have the crossclimate+ mounted and hope I made the rigth choice. Only regret I didn't see the crossclimate SUV before, seems more appropriate for 4motion and rough road.

A 1,000 mile review of Michelin Cross Climate.

General Running: The first big difference I noticed compared to other winter and MnS tyres that I have run on is how quiet the Michelin's are.Very little difference to the "A" rated Bridgestone Turanza's that I swapped them for.

Wet: I have recently driven on a couple of days when the rain was so heavy there was standing water on the road, especially on a 60mph stretch of the A24. Very sure footed. Two days ago in driving rain with a caravan on the back, on the very busy pot-holed and road-worked M60 I suddenly joined a queue of traffic testing out their ABS. Heavy braking, with a caravan on the back, I stopped comfortably, unlike one or two others.

Mud: Superb. Two days ago was on a waterlogged campsite near Birmingham being the angel with a tow-bar hauling others out of the mud.Really impressed. I can compare directly with Goodyear Vectors that were equally superb in mud. Excellent performance, hardly a sense of lost traction.

Ice: A fairly benign experience so far, Service road to my Brother in Law's farm, steep, rutted, with frozen puddles all over. Only troubled the vehicle once, a slight sideways movement at the back, lasted a a second or two then full traction regained.

Snow: The picture say's it all. Well, nearly, it doesn't truly show just how steep the hill was. This morning: It was steep. The snow was falling heavily. Lots of hollows where the snow was really deep. The Michelin's were totally untroubled. Really, totally, untroubled. Great grip, very surefooted.

In summary, ok, brand new tyres but very impressed so far.

alfie-snow.jpeg

Thank you GJ. Excellent write up and now all I have to do is find a stockist. These were my preferred tyres and now convinced. :thanks

Thanks for the write up. I’ve made up my mind, I’m going to go for the Michelins when the time comes to change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back