Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Michelin CrossClimate+ 235/55 R17 - 103Y

Thanks for the review, GJ. I presume you’ll keep the Michelins on all year round?

A 1,000 mile review of Michelin Cross Climate.

General Running: The first big difference I noticed compared to other winter and MnS tyres that I have run on is how quiet the Michelin's are.Very little difference to the "A" rated Bridgestone Turanza's that I swapped them for.

Wet: I have recently driven on a couple of days when the rain was so heavy there was standing water on the road, especially on a 60mph stretch of the A24. Very sure footed. Two days ago in driving rain with a caravan on the back, on the very busy pot-holed and road-worked M60 I suddenly joined a queue of traffic testing out their ABS. Heavy braking, with a caravan on the back, I stopped comfortably, unlike one or two others.

Mud: Superb. Two days ago was on a waterlogged campsite near Birmingham being the angel with a tow-bar hauling others out of the mud.Really impressed. I can compare directly with Goodyear Vectors that were equally superb in mud. Excellent performance, hardly a sense of lost traction.

Ice: A fairly benign experience so far, Service road to my Brother in Law's farm, steep, rutted, with frozen puddles all over. Only troubled the vehicle once, a slight sideways movement at the back, lasted a a second or two then full traction regained.

Snow: The picture say's it all. Well, nearly, it doesn't truly show just how steep the hill was. This morning: It was steep. The snow was falling heavily. Lots of hollows where the snow was really deep. The Michelin's were totally untroubled. Really, totally, untroubled. Great grip, very surefooted.

In summary, ok, brand new tyres but very impressed so far.

View attachment 29285
Your number plate has been nicked.

I'm about to push the button on a set of Crossclimates, but in my rim size (245/45 R18) the load rating only seems to go up to 100.

My current tyres are 100s but I've read in another thread somewhere that some on here consider 100 to be borderline for a Cali. Mine is a 2WD T5 174 (2007). 800kg per wheel = 3.2 tonnes. Anyone else on 100s?

Thanks for the review, GJ. I presume you’ll keep the Michelins on all year round?

Yes. No need to change. I took a gamble that my need for winters on a spare set of rims was over and I can now avoid all the faffing around of changing wheels every six months.

There is a Flash sale on these today Michelins today at Blackcircles. 10% off. Just got two fully fitted for £283.

Just re-booted all round with Michelin CrossClimate SUV 235x55xR17 103Y and it's just started snowing here.

The Goodyear Cargo Vector 4 Seasons they are replacing have done 24500 miles and were down to an average tread of 3.9 mm front and rear. Hope the Michelins last as well.

Just re-booted all round with Michelin CrossClimate SUV 235x55xR17 103Y and it's just started snowing here.

The Goodyear Cargo Vector 4 Seasons they are replacing have done 24500 miles and were down to an average tread of 3.9 mm front and rear. Hope the Michelins last as well.

Very Nice. Going to be interesting to see how you get on with them.

Mike

We have Cross Climate 1's on our Yeti (same Haldex 4WD system as a Cali), seen here in action in the Alps.

Now got a 2WD Cali with Vector 4 Seasons, seen here in action in Scotland.

Both seem excellent.

Cali Snow.jpg

Where did you get them from WG.

Mike

Having just got a set of Goodyear Vector 4Seasons I'll be interested to see how you think the Michelins compare after you've got some more miles on them :thumb

Have now completed 3000+ miles on my CrossClimate tyres. So compared to the Goodyear’s.

Noise - I fancy a little quieter
Wet - As good as
Brake - As good as
Snow - As good as
MPG - Better averaging 1.2 MPG better than the Goodyears on mixed M, A & B roads over the last 3000 + Miles.
Wear - Too early to tell.

Have now completed 3000+ miles on my CrossClimate tyres. So compared to the Goodyear’s.

Noise - I fancy a little quieter
Wet - As good as
Brake - As good as
Snow - As good as
MPG - Better averaging 1.2 MPG better than the Goodyears on mixed M, A & B roads over the last 3000 + Miles.
Wear - Too early to tell.

Thanks WG. Only yesterday I saw a small independent tyre dealer who advised me to go for the Michelin’s. Will do the switch before next winter.
He was amused and somewhat surprised by my in-depth knowledge of tyres. Frankly so am I.
For the record he also likes the new Continental all weather but the cost and wear is prohibitive.
Going to stick mine on some steels that I’ve got hold of.

Mike

Back