Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Michelin Goodyear or Continental all season

L

Legin

Guest User
I have read the all seasons tyres to death and have concluded for me its either the latest michelin plus, goodyear 4 season or continental all season 235/55 x17 I should get. To keep it simple Im only looking at one of these three and not interested in the earlier versions. Trouble is which. My actual requirement is biased towards summer use with the capability to deal with a muddy field a priority over snow.

I value a comfortable and quiet ride over other dynamics as long as its good enough in the wet and dry. I think that points to Michelin however the continental looks interesting but rather new to get any real world comments.

Anyone that has had at least two of the above able to share their experiences good or otherwise and which they rate most highly.

Goodyear 2 sets each covered 20,000 + miles. I tend to change early at 4 mm tread depth. Very good all round. MPG dropped by about 1 compared to the original VW summer tyres . Now on Michelin for past 18,000 miles .A little bit less road noise. MPG went up by 2 compared with Goodyear. Tread depth 5.9 +/- 1 after 18,000 miles front/rear on a 4Motion.
Probably stay with the Michelin.

Really useful. So all things considered the michelin pipped the goodyear in your opinion. If i read it right the michelin is 1 mpg better than the summer tyre. Not insignificant.

I´ve had some michelin agilis on and off over the last 6 yrs.
They´re on a spare set of alloys that i have and they refuse to
wear down.
I have now taken them off and put some nokian winters on so
i´m gonna wiz the michelins, good tyres but i´m sick of them.

I also have some contis on some other alloys and they seem to wear out
a lot quicker than the michelins.

Well that was quick it looks like michelin for me then if the contis wear quickly. Might as well go with the proven michelin. thanks all

Well that was quick it looks like michelin for me then if the contis wear quickly. Might as well go with the proven michelin. thanks all

Which has better traction in the muddy/white stuff...???

Really useful. So all things considered the michelin pipped the goodyear in your opinion. If i read it right the michelin is 1 mpg better than the summer tyre. Not insignificant.
Correct.

Which has better traction in the muddy/white stuff...???
Can’t say I’ve noticed much difference, if any, between the two. Bit difficult to really compare as the conditions are different each time and I do have 4Motion, but not got stuck nor skidded.

I´ve had some michelin agilis on and off over the last 6 yrs.
They´re on a spare set of alloys that i have and they refuse to
wear down.
I have now taken them off and put some nokian winters on so
i´m gonna wiz the michelins, good tyres but i´m sick of them.

I also have some contis on some other alloys and they seem to wear out
a lot quicker than the michelins.
Am I missing something?
Why are you sick of the Michelins if they are good?
(Ps i’m new so please be gentle if I have said the wrong thing.... hopefully we get our first Cali ocean next week...I’m all nervous and excited!!!)

Am I missing something?
Why are you sick of the Michelins if they are good?
(Ps i’m new so please be gentle if I have said the wrong thing.... hopefully we get our first Cali ocean next week...I’m all nervous and excited!!!)
I ended up with 2 sets of alloys and a set of steel winter wheels so
i decided to have winter on 1 set of alloys and summer on the other
and do away with the steels.
So i had to wear down the Michelins and they weren´t havin it.

The reason I want the all season tyre to go alongside 4 motion is not so much capability in snow but rather in muddy conditions. For this reason summer and winter tyres doesnt work for me as I invariably get stuck in the warmer months. The depth of winter is easier for me as the ground is frozen hard but flat.

Looking , if you can tell by looking, the michelin open tread and shape appears similar to that on my tractor and the missing sipes are more relevant for snow than mud I assume. Tractor tyres grip much better in one direction than the other and I suspect the v form all seasons would be the same.

Are you talking about the CrossClimate+ tyre...?

Sounds like a great combo: 4M and allseason tyresHope you find the right ones. Plenty of good suggestions here.

(Down here I prefer winter/summer tyres. Atm I use Continentals, friend has Nokian for the winter and Michelin Latitude Cross for the summer. Personal I always tried to buy smaller tyres: summer 255/55 R17 and winter 215/65 R16 than max. I guess I am wrong with that strategy but helps to drive in winter and with chains here and for the summer ones I hope it is better on fuel.)

Today I have ordered the Michelin, I will swap them when I collect my new cali1st week in Jan. Will be selling the delivery summer tyres. Thanks for all the advice

I've had both Goodyear and Michelin.

When I had Goodyear on it must have been my mud-ploughing season, as I seemed to be splashing through daily, and found them to be excellent. I've not encountered so much mud with the Michelin's but when I have they appeared competent.

Driven through a lot of snow with the Michelin's and very impressed. Grip is excellent.

I cannot speak for MPG as goodyears were on a T5 and Michelins on a T6 but 38-40mpg with high speed cruising is standard for me with the T6 so quite content with that. The one big difference is that I found the Michelins very quiet. I came home from Wareham to Littlehampton late Monday night, A31 dual carriageway and M27/A27.... little traffic, 80 miles at maximum speed allowable, and with little traffic around was really impressed with the lack of road noise.

It seems like a good choice then, I have the Michelins sitting in my garage now so just as well I guess. I really like the fact they are quiet ,certainly the sticker has them as low dB tyres. I will fit them as soon as I have picked up the cali.

I had a similar dilemma but chose the Goodyear's because I'm not to far from Scotland and may have harsher Winters. If I lived around Chester or South I would have probably gone with the Michelin cross climate.
Goodyear are slightly more biased towards winter, Michelin a more summer bias. Both very capable all seasons.

The reason I want the all season tyre to go alongside 4 motion is not so much capability in snow but rather in muddy conditions. For this reason summer and winter tyres doesnt work for me as I invariably get stuck in the warmer months. The depth of winter is easier for me as the ground is frozen hard but flat.

Looking , if you can tell by looking, the michelin open tread and shape appears similar to that on my tractor and the missing sipes are more relevant for snow than mud I assume. Tractor tyres grip much better in one direction than the other and I suspect the v form all seasons would be the same.

Both my vans have the 4motion all season combinations. I have the vectors on the 17s on both. I think it’s the optimum setup.

On my previous caravelle I had the Bridgestone weather control A005s which were amazing. Anyone looking for all season on the larger 18- I would fully recommend these!

I am unsure of off road performance of the all season tyre. The little ribs may help for a while but it does look like the tyre will quickly slick as they thin grooves clog up. Interested to know if you have any experience on this. I’m regularly towing 2 ton trailers over wet fields and just feel an off road tyre is a massive mistake for general purpose. I have BFG MTs on my defender and perfect wide grooves for mid and water displacement but poor for general purpose road use- handling/braking and noise. Defender is slow and heavy so it can take it but far too agricultural for the VWs.

I dont have experience of the all season tyres which is why i asked on here but I do have other experience.

I have run BFG AT on a landcruiser and as you say on your landy if was pretty good, it was hopeless on the original Dunlop AT 20,s ? but they looked like a road pattern to me.

The only machine I have which is unstoppable (apart from the tracked jcb) towing 1.5t in mud level with the bottom of the trailer is my 4wd tractor with large diameter narrow v form tyres. By comparison the telehandler and 2wd dumper both got stuck in the same conditions although the telehandler tyres were well worn.

My shogun runs M&S yokohama tyres and they seem to work quite well and reasonably effective but i havent really pushed them.

I get the impression the small sipes are what really works in snow but does little on mud. The main benefit in mud comes from a more open paddle design like tractor tyres. The michelin looks the most open of the all seasons treads to me but i have no idea whether it really will do the job.

It seems mud tyres always have very open aggressive tread patterns and snow tyres fine sipes

I dont have experience of the all season tyres which is why i asked on here but I do have other experience.

I have run BFG AT on a landcruiser and as you say on your landy if was pretty good, it was hopeless on the original Dunlop AT 20,s ? but they looked like a road pattern to me.

The only machine I have which is unstoppable (apart from the tracked jcb) towing 1.5t in mud level with the bottom of the trailer is my 4wd tractor with large diameter narrow v form tyres. By comparison the telehandler and 2wd dumper both got stuck in the same conditions although the telehandler tyres were well worn.

My shogun runs M&S yokohama tyres and they seem to work quite well and reasonably effective but i havent really pushed them.

I get the impression the small sipes are what really works in snow but does little on mud. The main benefit in mud comes from a more open paddle design like tractor tyres. The michelin looks the most open of the all seasons treads to me but i have no idea whether it really will do the job.

It seems mud tyres always have very open aggressive tread patterns and snow tyres fine sipes

Agreed! We run little 110bhp Fendt 4WDs on our vineyard and they just battle on!

A379581D-0971-4057-9242-ACF7B9807178.jpeg

New Bridgestone A005 Weather Control is coming out on top in current tests for all round performance.
Probably because it's the latest one, some others are getting dated in design terms.

All the top grade Brands have a similar tread design.

New Bridgestone A005 Weather Control is coming out on top in current tests for all round performance.
Probably because it's the latest one, some others are getting dated in design terms.

All the top grade Brands have a similar tread design.

On the standard 18 wheels I can’t recommend them enough!

6B093DED-71B9-4A87-AE87-1E8F2C5BB6C3.jpeg

Recently fitted the Bridgestone A005’s to one of our vehicles, bit early to give a full opinion of them but one thing I have noticed is how they flick up small stones off the road far more than previous summer tyres, may be a good indication of how well they grip on soft surfaces.

Back