Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Microwave for a Cali

J

Jean Benn

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
hi guys, I’m looking to buy a microwave for our Billy (Ocean).....
Any advice please???
Cheers peeps

There are also 12v microwaves available like the Power Hunt Wavebox but I've never seen or used one.

Hi, just thought I’d revive this short thread…. 5 years isn’t a bad break!

So my question is, who has a microwave in their Cali, do you get good use from it, what size do you have, and where do you keep it?

Background - we cook mainly outside the van, on a Campinggaz Partygrill, and with the added pizza stone, I think we can cook most things. We also have small BBQ that uses charcoal for real BBQ flavours. But, at home we use our microwave quite often, for jackets, porridge and even fresh veg occasionally, plus obligatory heating of takeaways!

So what’s the wisdom out there? :rolleyes:

C’mon man! camping is about pain and suffering! It’s meant to be awkward and time consuming……….. not a mini version of home fer chrissakes! ;):D

I agree. 2 things I can easily live without when camping. A telly and a microwave. I only ever microwave beans and curries at home. Can do both those on the hob.

C’mon man! camping is about pain and suffering! It’s meant to be awkward and time consuming……….. not a mini version of home fer chrissakes! ;):D
Clearly you haven't used a microwave in a Cali. The epitome of logistical inconvenience.
I took one with me over Easter and even though its small one it still dominated the space. Thirsty buggah too. Each mug of water I boiled consumed about 7% of the power in my EF Delta 2 power pack. Next trip in May I will leave it at home and just use gas and the small 300W water boiler and see how I fare. The microwave may not be accompanying me again.

While I respect the OP’s (and subsequent posts) want to carry a Micro-wah-vey (sic) like some recent posts I’ve seen on air fryers I can think of nothing worse that clogging up our valuable space with huge and slightly unnecessary cooking utensils.

For us the beauty of the Cali is the “outdoors” living and getting away from it all - with a Cadac for when the sun is out and a hob inside for when it is not, all basic cooking needs are met. If on EHU we have a lovely little plug in collapsable kettle and when not we have an Outwell alu kettle that heats in no time at all and even whistles! All the bells and, well, whistles.

We had one at home (Micro) years ago and never used it. It was in the garage for years and when I dragged it out to do some Xmas puds it blew up. Threw it away and never missed it since.

While I respect the OP’s (and subsequent posts) want to carry a Micro-wah-vey (sic) like some recent posts I’ve seen on air fryers I can think of nothing worse that clogging up our valuable space with huge and slightly unnecessary cooking utensils.
We use a small microwave + air fryer at home..but not in the van.

If anyone uses an air fryer in the van, make sure you its well ventilated (5 inches clear on all sides), sat on a non combustible surface & never sit it on a tea towel...as they get very hot!..there have been a few house fires recently.

If I’m away hillwalking on my own I borrow the microwave from the house every time, just a normal 800w one out of Wilko. Very handy to throw in a ready meal if you get back to the van tired and no pub nearby.
On the other hand we‘re in France right now with daughter so no room for a microwave and no inclination to eat ready meals even if there were.
Horses for courses.

Looks like most votes are against a microwave then? Worth flying a kite to see which way the wind blows! Interesting to note how many van conversions have them fitted, that or a grill. We like cooking outdoors, when conditions allow - even tonight on a breezy Wester Ross coast at 4C.

We use a small microwave + air fryer at home..but not in the van.

If anyone uses an air fryer in the van, make sure you its well ventilated (5 inches clear on all sides), sat on a non combustible surface & never sit it on a tea towel...as they get very hot!..there have been a few house fires recently.
I am thinking if a small microwave to mainly use on electric hook up just for convenience to warm up pre packaged meals I can take with me or a supermarket curry sometime all you want is something warm to eat with no faffing then you can get back to the book - I would only use it outside or in the awning which microwave do you have, it doesn't need to be powerful as we all have plenty of time.