Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Midges in Scotland

Chilmark

Chilmark

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We are off to Scotland in July and wonder if anyone has tips for keeping the midges out the van, been told they can get through Mozi nets etc thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tape up the small air vents in the roof bellows, they will deffo get in there if they are about the place. Yes they will get through normal anti-insect mesh as they're very tiny.

Other than that not so much you can do except try to park in the breeziest spot. It's very hit/miss, you may find them a problem but quite possibly not. And it's usually just in early morning and around dusk.

Have a lovely trip.

We are off to Scotland in July and wonder if anyone has tips for keeping the midges out the van, been told they can get through Mozi nets etc thanks in advance

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000WZO0EA/?tag=eliteelect-21
Plugs straight into the B Pillar Inverter Socket.

Works in Scandinavia which has a similar problem in the summer months.
I don’t bother with midge netting, just leave this plugged in all the time.

What you need is some 'skin so soft' from avon if I remember right. It's one of the few things midges don't like. I know from experience.
Won’t keep them out of the van though. Easiest way to keep them out of the van is to leave it in England! ;)

It’s worth putting up with the midges to visit Scotland though, just wear midge masks.
97DC76E1-E01B-40DA-82D5-C010DC447F1D.jpeg

Tape up the small air vents in the roof bellows, they will deffo get in there if they are about the place. Yes they will get through normal anti-insect mesh as they're very tiny.

Other than that not so much you can do except try to park in the breeziest spot. It's very hit/miss, you may find them a problem but quite possibly not. And it's usually just in early morning and around dusk.

Have a lovely trip.
What tape do you recommend ? We used duck tape ,which was useless.

We were travelling around Iceland some years ago when we stopped at a lake. We could hear this buzzing sound, when we got round the corner we were met with a cloud of midges. About 3 foot off the ground, 2 foot in diameter and the length of the lake. Needless to say we didn't go any further.
Made Scotland look easy.

We were travelling around Iceland some years ago when we stopped at a lake. We could hear this buzzing sound, when we got round the corner we were met with a cloud of midges. About 3 foot off the ground, 2 foot in diameter and the length of the lake. Needless to say we didn't go any further.
Made Scotland look easy.
Try the woods around Torridon when no breeze and damp. I nearly emigrated!!!!!!!!!!!

Made Scotland look easy.
Myvatten i would suspect..they didnt bite though, we they didnt us anyway, but never seen so many they got into everything.

We went in early Sept to the west coast and hardly saw any, but then it did rain half the time. We didnt find it any worse than England at that time of year. Maybe we got lucky.

I do like their Midge Forecast

Won’t keep them out of the van though. Easiest way to keep them out of the van is to leave it in England! ;)

It’s worth putting up with the midges to visit Scotland though, just wear midge masks.
View attachment 42319

I've got one of these nets built into a bush hat that I wear in Snowdonia when working on the railway. The rest of the team were very envious when I used it during a very significant midge infestation one year.
Simon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000WZO0EA/?tag=eliteelect-21
Plugs straight into the B Pillar Inverter Socket.

Works in Scandinavia which has a similar problem in the summer months.
I don’t bother with midge netting, just leave this plugged in all the time.

This was a really useful tip, thanks Paul. I was camping on a woody part of a site near Kidderminster trying to find a bit of shade and as the sun went down the midges came out.
I plugged this in to try it out and wasn't bothered by them or bitten all night. What do you think the power drain is on the batteries, is it significant?
Simon

This was a really useful tip, thanks Paul. I was camping on a woody part of a site near Kidderminster trying to find a bit of shade and as the sun went down the midges came out.
I plugged this in to try it out and wasn't bothered by them or bitten all night. What do you think the power drain is on the batteries, is it significant?
Simon
Not sure, a long time since school but it should be about 0.03 amps at 240v which should convert to about 0.6 amps at 12v I think. But I don't think it heats all the time. I, personally have not had a problem overnight Off Hook Up. But I do have a Solar Panel to charge by day if not moving.

Last edited:

Hi

Try "Smidge" it does the job and they have a midgey forecast on their site.

We went to west coast end of June
As has been said smidge away cream is food - sold at garages in Scotland.
We didn’t really have a midge problem especially if you stick to the coast :thumb

We are off on 22/July have skin so soft smidge and 2 other repellants and a plug in
9cfc2ead0e80454f44be35f86a7f1c61.jpg