Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mirroring your smart phone (iPhone) onto your head unit for under £100

A

AndyFromTheBrac

Guest User
I'd been asked how I mirrored my iPhone screen onto my Alpine head unit in this thread but I think it needed a separate discussion as it's nothing to do with CarPlay (I just connected it to a CarPlay receiver). It's not to be confused with the MirrorLink option on newer VWs, but operates in a similar way.

This method works with any smart phone that has a mirroring capability and a suitable head unit, but I used an iPhone, so....

Stuff you will need:

A double-din head unit with an av / aux-in (or a camera-in may work) . Ideally this should support sound, but you can pair your device using bluetooth in some cases (e.g. if you're using a camera input)

A little mirror link gizmo, found on ebay (typically £40 from China/HK, but some are in UK at £80-90) - I used something called "Xlink" - use this search Note that usually you don't need the HDMI version, but I got this so I could set it up easily on my TV at home.

car-wifi-mirror.jpg

There are more of these available in the UK now, which is good, but they are double the price. If you don't want to wait and would like a bit of support, try to get a UK one which has had its firmware updated recently. This helps make sure that it is compatible with the latest mirror link software on your smart phone. I've noticed the USA are selling these which cannot operate properly with iOS9 (audio-only) which is pants. I had a bit of a faff updating the firmware on mine (and I work in IT so consider myself reasonably savvy) so again, go for one in the UK for the extra few quid and contact the seller first to make sure they can help you out.

I'm not sure why there are so few of these available in the UK, I could not find anything which states that they are in breach of UK/EU regulations, so can't really comment on why there are so few.

Usually an adapter to convert the AV input (red yellow white plugs) to whatever input your head unit uses. The RNS unit has it's own proprietary input (read pricey!) whereas others use a standard camcorder-type adapter (similar to an earphone 3.5mm jack).

adapter.JPG

Check which you have (if any) and the configuration as for example the Alpine and Kenwood use an "Apple" type of input (not camcorder-type) which earths differently, so please check this. In my case, there is a Kenwood part "Kenwood CA-C3AV" which does the job for about a fiver.

Lastly, you *may* also need to turn on Video-in-motion settings. The RNS has a software setting which you can "buy" the Alpine is just a case of earthing the parking brake cable earthing the parking brake cable (don't buy another adapter like I did, you don't need it for Alpine)

Connect the mirror wifi device to a suitable power source. You probably want an ignition-only live unless you want to run the risk of gradually flattening the battery (or even better running it from the leisure batteries).

Software for controlling it is embedded on the device. There is a little application which you can download and run that then controls the unit. Failing that it displays the IP address on the splash screen when it powers up; something like 192.168.59.254 You shouldn't need to do a whole lot to it though.

mirror link splash.jpg

It should also immediately start broadcasting SSID (a wifi access point). You may want to configure it, change the name or add password security, but that is mirror link device-dependent.

Finally you need to connect your iPhone to this wifi access point and from the home screen, swipe up to display the Control Centre. Tap AirPlay and select the wireless service, then slide the "Mirroring" option and Done

how-to-use-airplay-ios.jpg
Courtesy of OSXDaily.com more details on AirPlay can be found here

That's it. Once done, your phone should then be mirrored onto the head unit. Rotate the screen to landscape and lock it to stop it flipping around.

You should see the home screen rotated if you're using a supported (later) iPhone (fuzzy images alert!)
f6de42872107cb2515efeab6bc66efce.jpg

Most (but not all) video apps will display (youtube doesn't, many subscription services doesnt). You may be able to cast youtube videos onto the airplay display from within the youtube app, but I've not tried this yet. iPlayer works well.

532441884bcbe2c7080058829adf1da8.jpg

More importantly all Nav products will display, so you can show CoPilot, TomTom or NavMii etc

8f6f4e3c9803bb127d411d4b237da81c.jpg

That's it. A reasonably inexpensive way of getting your smart phone mirrored onto your head unit.

Some important notes:

You (or preferably your passenger/navigator) needs to control the display from the phone, there is no control from the head unit.

You need to keep your phone screen on and not locked/in power save mode, or the connection will drop. If you're using a Nav app, you may need to make sure that it has a destination or it's in no-sleep mode (e.g. google maps goes into power save if you just have it on without a planned route)

You probably want to keep it powered by a USB charger as the screen is on the whole time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been looking at a similar device supposedly compatible with the RNS315 but it is quite a bit more expensive due to the input for video (and I assume sound) being non standard.

I think I only want to do it because I can, I dont really have any real need to. Do you find you still use it?

It's what drove me away from the RNS devices and into CarPlay. It seemed way too expensive. I still use this but not all the time. It's just a nice-to-have for sure (though it was useful on a recent trip abroad when I could use downloaded google maps and not use much data over there)

Back