Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

mishap

capt kirk

capt kirk

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Had a little trip out to Frensham yesterday. For those of you that know the area the ford was quite full but not that full so seemed safe to go through. We pressed on and when the water was halfway up the screen started to think it may have been a mistake. I think it was just a bow wave that worked its way up the front of the van as it really wasn't that deep. And i had just washed and waxed it. Any way as we drove away large scrapping noise from front. Oh bugger!!! we pulled up by the timber yard and had a look. Number plate had fallen off and was dragging along the ground by one screw. The noise it made up through the van was Horrible. Luckily the plate was not damaged so found some double sided in the boot and a couple of self tappers to put it back on. No other problems so off home for a cuppa. Just shows how simple things can change your day.

"the water was halfway up the screen".

What on a T6 california? That's about five feet deep and roughly two feet above the engine air intake!!! Does it still run?

"the water was halfway up the screen".

What on a T6 california? That's about five feet deep and roughly two feet above the engine air intake!!! Does it still run?
The water is only about 6 inches deep and from the dashcam i was doing 13mph but was still enough to create a bow wave and pushed it well up the screen for a couple of seconds, Ive been through that ford loads of times in a car and never seen a wave like that before but luckily no harm done. ill see if i can get a screen grab of the footage.1617638111001.png

Holy-Moly! I would say you were lucky to avoid serious engine damage.

Unless the water itself is a few feet deep (>1.5 to be more precise), it will not do any damage to the engine. When splashing through 6 to 10 inches of water, more damage can be done to the drive train (especially on a 4MO), if there is water ingress via the diff breathers.

This is more a case of a splash back from a bow-wave and cannot damage any components on a diesel engine. This is just good plain fun, especially when you have kids inside the van :thumb ;)

Unless the water itself is a few feet deep (>1.5 to be more precise), it will not do any damage to the engine. When splashing through 6 to 10 inches of water, more damage can be done to the drive train (especially on a 4MO), if there is water ingress via the diff breathers.

This is more a case of a splash back from a bow-wave and cannot damage any components on a diesel engine. This is just good plain fun, especially when you have kids inside the van :thumb ;)
Just the wife and me and i don't think the words she used should be used by children !!!!!!

My mate with a written off BMW X5 would disagree.

Here's a nice little video of people having fun:

Oh dear ! Why is this even a public road? If i was driving there I would assume it's ok if there are no warning signs ? No wonder all those cars/vans broke down ..

Oh dear ! Why is this even a public road? If i was driving there I would assume it's ok if there are no warning signs ? No wonder all those cars/vans broke down ..
That's not a sound practice.

Roads can flood quickly and in such circumstances especially where there is wide spread flooding, it may be days before anyone turns up with appropriate signage. The best policy is to be very cautious where floods are concerned. Yes, you may get away with it but if you get it wrong it could cost you dearly. You may even be putting yourself in danger. You may think you know the road but there may be debris, subsidence or open man holes beneath the flood water. Man hole covers can often be displaced in such circs.

If in doubt don't proceed. Leave that to the thrill seekers.

Some years ago our next door neighbour wrecked his brand new Renault Espace diesel engine driving through a deep ford. Some time later he did it again in his Mercedes C class!!! That time he got away with it. Another friend destroyed his VW van engine driving through flood water. It really isn't worth the gamble.

That's not a sound practice.

Roads can flood quickly and in such circumstances especially where there is wide spread flooding, it may be days before anyone turns up with appropriate signage. The best policy is to be very cautious where floods are concerned. Yes, you may get away with it but if you get it wrong it could cost you dearly. You may even be putting yourself in danger. You may think you know the road but there may be debris, subsidence or open man holes beneath the flood water. Man hole covers can often be displaced in such circs.

If in doubt don't proceed. Leave that to the thrill seekers.

Some years ago our next door neighbour wrecked his brand new Renault Espace diesel engine driving through a deep ford. Some time later he did it again in his Mercedes C class!!! That time he got away with it. Another friend destroyed his VW van engine driving through flood water. It really isn't worth the gamble.
If I recall the Espace was prone to water damage due to an air intake being low in the engine bay, scooping water straight into the engine! Only need a foot or so of water.

You hit that too fast, it was probably over too quick to ingest the water, but you can do physical damage to trims, grill, underbody protection etc.

You hit that too fast, it was probably over too quick to ingest the water, but you can do physical damage to trims, grill, underbody protection etc.
Lots of fords locally, the depth is normally marked by a gauge, if in doubt stop and observe, a brave/reckless soul will go for it soon enough, easily the best depth indicator is another car.
Slow is pro in these circumstances, probably.

Long ago I hydro locked my Honda XL185, relatively easy rebuild on those things - I would hate to do it to a van!

Just watched that, hysterical how some people actually do enter the water cautiously... then accelerate!

I’ve been watching a guy on YouTube rebuild an Audi v8 engine which had drunk some water. Water isn’t keen on being compressed and bent a con rod.

Interesting view. I know of a written off Audi 6 (2.7 tdi) after driving through a ford causing water to flood the air intake.

My brother wrote off his Honda Accord estate by driving through floodwater. He bought back the written off car and a friend of his bought it from him and replaced the engine. It ended up being a win win all round, especially for my brother's wife, who always complained that the car looked like a hearse!

Seen loads of van drivers who have had the plastic undertrays ripped off by puddle spray, deliberately hitting water has other risk factors than engine internal damage to consider, wet brakes eg. or even a Vicar of Dibley type pothole.

The water is only about 6 inches deep and from the dashcam i was doing 13mph but was still enough to create a bow wave and pushed it well up the screen for a couple of seconds,
Just read that bit and there's the thing... speed needs to be a crawl. Walking speed, no more.

1617701458066.png

1617701621508.png

You might think that floodwater is safer on a bicycle. Not true...

575a272bd4eb2ae86addd523f0d873e8.jpg

Back