Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Missing ‘bolt’ on

W

Whitwellblue

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
8249D5F7-BE35-4672-920C-4A1A6F8D8A84.jpeg

We noticed this weekend that our wind out awning seems to be missing a ‘bolt’. It’s where the awning is fixed near the back of the van.
The awning came with the van. Does anyone know who we are best to go to in order to get a new bolt-thing? I seem to think that the awnings are made by another supplier?

Van is 2017 Ocean

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a rivet rather than a bolt. Should be easy enough to replace.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Looks like a rivet rather than a bolt. Should be easy enough to replace.

I knew it wasn’t a bolt, but the word rivet wouldn’t come to me!

signed
Embarrassed daughter of engineer

Job done

Brilliant. I wasn’t sure if we should get it replaced by the maker, but if they are standard rivets then that should be cool

Brilliant. I wasn’t sure if we should get it replaced by the maker, but if they are standard rivets then that should be cool
Mine was similar to yours, rear pop rivet had failed an fell out, dealer replaced the whole bracket, they said they are not allowed to repair them ! so for a one penny pop rivet the whole rear bracket went in the bin !

green credentials for you !

Dealer advised not to use the van in case of failure of the remaining pop rivet.

If you are still using the van make sure you get a temp fix in place ASAP to secure the awning to the bracket, piece of wire etc.

Rivets come in different diameters and lengths.
Should be easy enough to find the correct size.
If you're doing it yourself, practice a bit on some scrap metal first. Using the rivet gun can be a bit fiddly at first but you'll get the hang of it.

Get the black anodised pop rivets if your going down the DIY route. Otherwise the plain pop rivet will stand out like a sore thumb against the black anodised bracket

You have them in different strengths too.
I would take a stronger rivet, not a plain, simple one. It has to hold some weight.

And watch out rivetting that thing in place. If your rivet gun jumps off, you might hurt your van in a bad or worse way.
Cover the surroundings by thick foam or something.

And indeed, get the black rivets!

I’m sure the Club shop could source a new bracket if you wanted to replace the whole rear bracket

If the missing item is #25 in the page shown here then it's a socket head bolt not a rivet.

Click on the item number in the drawing to see a part number, you can enlarge the drawing and move it about on your screen if you wish.

Rod

it is the rivet that has come out i have seen 2 like this in the last month

Mine was similar to yours, rear pop rivet had failed an fell out, dealer replaced the whole bracket, they said they are not allowed to repair them ! so for a one penny pop rivet the whole rear bracket went in the bin !

Dealer advised not to use the van in case of failure of the remaining pop rivet.

If you are still using the van make sure you get a temp fix in place ASAP to secure the awning to the bracket, piece of wire etc.
VW would just supply the labour and ultimately Thule/Omnistor would pay. The removed bracket would be returned to Thule/Omnistor who would supply the new bracket to VW. :thumb

VW would just supply the labour and ultimately Thule/Omnistor would pay. The removed bracket would be returned to Thule/Omnistor who would supply the new bracket to VW. :thumb
Thanks WG, you are partly correct
the part went in the Bin,
confirmed by the tech that provided the labour.
the photo VW took of the fault, was proof enough For Thule to provide the new part (quickly)
Thule did not get the part back from the dealer, unless they went to the dealers premises and dig it out of the bin with all the other parts the dealer Chuck away, along with the Add blue bottles etc. :thumb
cost to return the part would be borne by Thule ? Not worth the additional cost to get a broken part returned and a part they cannot reuse ?

We’ll call the dealer and see what they say. It’s a good 30 miles away up the M1! And I’m aware that they are primarily a commercial van dealer, not always as knowledgable/helpful as you’d like regarding the campervan elements of the California...

We’ll call the dealer and see what they say. It’s a good 30 miles away up the M1! And I’m aware that they are primarily a commercial van dealer, not always as knowledgable/helpful as you’d like regarding the campervan elements of the California...
Send them a picture of the failed bracket, via email.
ask them to get the part and fit it whilst you wait

Back