Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mobile Internet Questions

Fitz@CFB

Fitz@CFB

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
When looking for answers to California related questions I always come to the Club forums to access the experts! It’s fantastic resource of the Club and those of you who give selflessly to assist us less experienced newbies are incredible. Thankyou.
We are investigating MIFI as a way of improving our internet when on sites with little or no WIFI. We have been relying on mobile phones but coverage varies especially in rural areas and it is claimed that a mobile system with roof antenna can get anything up to 5x the 4G/5G reception. Does anyone have experience with theses systems and their claims?
If the improved reception is real, the problem for us is the external antenna (which is apparently the key to the better performance). We have 2 solar panels on our roof already and are jealous of our ability to get under 2M car park limits which a roof mounted “sharks fin” would breach. I also worry about fixing penetrations and the aluminium roof means a magnetIc mount is out. Motorhome WiFi claim that one way around this is to mount the antenna in the “scuttle compartment” below the windscreen where it is outside the metal shell of the vehicle, secure from view etc.
Has anyone tried this or seen it and does it work?
Generally feedback on these systems would be incredibly helpful from those that have experience.
Thanks to all as always

When looking for answers to California related questions I always come to the Club forums to access the experts! It’s fantastic resource of the Club and those of you who give selflessly to assist us less experienced newbies are incredible. Thankyou.
We are investigating MIFI as a way of improving our internet when on sites with little or no WIFI. We have been relying on mobile phones but coverage varies especially in rural areas and it is claimed that a mobile system with roof antenna can get anything up to 5x the 4G/5G reception. Does anyone have experience with theses systems and their claims?
If the improved reception is real, the problem for us is the external antenna (which is apparently the key to the better performance). We have 2 solar panels on our roof already and are jealous of our ability to get under 2M car park limits which a roof mounted “sharks fin” would breach. I also worry about fixing penetrations and the aluminium roof means a magnetIc mount is out. Motorhome WiFi claim that one way around this is to mount the antenna in the “scuttle compartment” below the windscreen where it is outside the metal shell of the vehicle, secure from view etc.
Has anyone tried this or seen it and does it work?
Generally feedback on these systems would be incredibly helpful from those that have experience.
Thanks to all as always
I’m afraid I don’t have any experience but am interested in hearing any others solutions.

Have you looked at suction mount antenna like these?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C1DGFPS/?tag=eliteelect-21
another option could be a Low profile steel plate (well painted to prevent rust) stuck down or fixed to the roof rails that would allow a magnetic antenna to work.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MKHYJC8/?tag=eliteelect-21

A suction mounted external aerial works well for us. I have two, one for the mobile network and one to pick up public WiFi or BT WiFi if you are a BT customer. All BT routers put out two signals, one private and one public. So if you are a BT customer you can, unless the owner has switched it off, access the public signal via your BT log in details.