Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mobile phone holders

Taff7996

Taff7996

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Looking for recommendations for a phone dock

For those of you that have fitted a mobile phone holder to you dash, can you post photos, location, make and how you'e secured them

I've looked at the Brodit active mount 521841, which has a usb connection. A bit expensive thou

Double post sorry

Last edited:
Used a rectangle of 3M VHB tape(GoPro mount sticky) and yes works fine with appconnect.

Does yours have a usb lead, if so do you know the mobie number?

The RAM X-Mount is absolutely superb. Incredibly robust (I have one which has lived outside on my boat which is moored on salt water) and they work with or without a case for pretty much any phone. Cons? They are not cheap, and they have an arcane number of options for ordering. I’m still awaiting delivery of my Ocean but I’m sure I’ll get one for it, but for all of my cars (my Golf SV, my wife’s Up, my old Touran) I order the Brodit car specific mount then screw the RAM base to that. The Brodits are robust enough that you can actually tap an M5 thread into them and they’ll hold a phone happily (or you can just do the sensible thing and use a self-tapper or two).

Edit: They’re called “X-Grip”! https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0055PH0XA/?tag=eliteelect-21 though actually GPS-City in Vegas do very good prices even with shipping included.

Last edited:
Imho the magnet ones work best with a flat magnet on phone cover and one of many magnet style desk attachments. Only holder that has zero faf putting in and taking off and did as a rock.

@Loz I'd love lots of detail on this. It looks a very neat solution and it sounds like it's drilling-free and diy?

As someone moving to a T6 and therefore finally being up to date with tech (carplay, bluetooth etc) I'd also be interested to know how you use your 'tech'. In my old Cali, access to my phone's screen was crucial, but I guess it will be less so now I'll have Carplay?
Do you always plug in your phone, do you use bluetooth for music or always through the plug-in, which sat-nav are you using? Is your phone-mount primarily to speed the connection of the USB to the stereo and charging, or do you still touch / look at the phone's screen? Any help appreciated.

This is the mount. http://amzn.eu/j283B8A its the adjustable one so fits most iphone with cases so if you update in future you wont need to buy another, the cable is fixed to easy to just plug into the usb socket in the glovebox for app-connect and charging.
521666.jpg

@Loz I'd love lots of detail on this. It looks a very neat solution and it sounds like it's drilling-free and diy?

As someone moving to a T6 and therefore finally being up to date with tech (carplay, bluetooth etc) I'd also be interested to know how you use your 'tech'. In my old Cali, access to my phone's screen was crucial, but I guess it will be less so now I'll have Carplay?
Do you always plug in your phone, do you use bluetooth for music or always through the plug-in, which sat-nav are you using? Is your phone-mount primarily to speed the connection of the USB to the stereo and charging, or do you still touch / look at the phone's screen? Any help appreciated.
I always plug my phone in so that I can use the Appconnect, find google maps very good, but also use a TomTom, google maps is great as long as you have a phone signal
The 6.33 head unit has a standard SD card slot, so I have a 16Gb card with all my music on, (mp3 format)
Also, never had a problem with Bluetooth phone calls

Have a magnetic one from halfords - stick the small, round magnetic mount just under the middle air vent . With the metal plate on the back of phone case, just slap it on the dash when you get in. Best mount solution I've ever had!

Imho the magnet ones work best with a flat magnet on phone cover and one of many magnet style desk attachments. Only holder that has zero faf putting in and taking off and did as a rock.

That's what I said ;-)

My brain hurts with this thread. Probably because I despise dangling leads and sticky on bits and pieces anywhere be it at home or in the car.
So my question is....
Whats up with the cubby hole with the 12v socket & USB housed in it?
If you have a large phone the lead still tucks up out of the way but my iPhone 6 (luddite that I am) sits in there plugged for the App connect & charging with a few other odds and sods and the gloss black door closes. The only pitfall is that I tend to forget the phone is there and lock up leaving it there.

That's why I was asking for insights as to how folk are using their phone now they have carplay stereos. Will I be doing everything through the big touch screen (there phone can hide in that cubby hole) or are users still needing to look at / touch their phones (hence needing a brodit etc)?

Mine ( 2006 ) came with one of these.
Vw don´t do an iphone adapter for it so its useless to me.11003861d.jpg

My brain hurts with this thread. Probably because I despise dangling leads and sticky on bits and pieces anywhere be it at home or in the car.
So my question is....
If you have a large phone the lead still tucks up out of the way but my iPhone 6 (luddite that I am) sits in there plugged for the App connect & charging with a few other odds and sods and the gloss black door closes. The only pitfall is that I tend to forget the phone is there and lock up leaving it there.

I agree completely - what’s the point of app connect if all you then do is ruin the look of the car with some ugly phone holder ?

So my question is....

I use the cubby for s7 in the Cali but magnetic in my daily D3 driver.

Back