Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Moka Pot coffee (I’ve gone full nerd!)

chockswahay

chockswahay

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
WARNING! You may not like this post, you may lose the will to live, or you might just learn something new…………. feel free to stop reading at any point!

I have been experimenting with different techniques for using a stove top Moka pot. After having spent far too long watching umpteen YouTube videos this is where I am at the moment. The pot used in these photos is the Bialetti ‘3 cup’ however my preferred choice is our ‘6 cup’. As anyone who has one of these knows the cup reference is only relevant to very small cups so don’t read too deeply into the numbers.

First I grind 20 grams of medium roast beans, finer than shop bought espresso grind but in reality not as fine as espresso setting on a good quality grinder. Then I drop the coffee into the coffee funnel and gently lift and drop onto the tube in the photo so that the grinds settle then once near the top I just level with a knife…. NO tamping. I put an ‘Aeropress filter’ on the underside of the top vessel (wet it to stay in place) then I pour boiling water in the the pressure chamber up to the relief valve. Screw the whole lot together (tea towel needed) and place on the stove on a VERY low heat. In my case I use an induction plate as the stove is induction and the Moka pot is aluminium.

7A346F0B-5AF3-480E-840C-D557552ACE29.jpeg
A962D8DE-73CC-4AE7-84EC-44F19FCA7F0F.jpeg
It takes 9 or 10 minutes before the coffee starts to come through but when it does it is a nice, gentle, controlled flow. After about a minute I turn off the hob and the residual heat will last for another 2 minutes before the top vessel is full and the liquid turns clear and (possibly) starts to spurt. Note that it is very important to stop the brew the moment the spurting starts.

AEAAAAD7-F527-494D-A926-5C872AD964F9.jpeg

Once the brew is complete I remove it from the heat and rest it in cold water to stop the brewing process.

345D9842-DF89-4C38-BF62-66900397808B.jpeg

Then a quick stir to mix the coffee and oils evenly before pouring into 2 preheated cups. I add 50 grams of coffee to each cup then 125 grams of foamed milk (previously heated to 65 c) which has been frothed in a cafetière by pumping 4 or 5 times gently but ‘through’ the surface, then another 50 or so but briskly and without breaking the surface. This aerates and ‘stretches’ the milk.

DEEE5DE4-364F-49DD-9C67-DABF9172D3F9.jpeg

The final result is a ‘poor man’s Cappuccino’ (or flat white) without the expense of an espresso machine and an expensive grinder

0E7A5A78-2057-4E17-954F-D6CC7A967222.jpeg

I agree it’s not perfect, but the taste and texture are lovely and not a million miles away from something you would buy in a coffee shop or café.
F67FD806-D891-4A7E-9A04-FA69FEC396A1.jpeg

So, I did say this was full on nerdy but I thought it might just be of passing interest to those of you with a Moka Pot. The Lessons that I have learned during this excessive are:

1. Grind a bit finer than shop bought espresso grind.

2. Fill the funnel to the top, level with a knife but do NOT tamp down.

3. The use of a paper filter helps refine the taste (and if you don’t believe that I can tell you it makes the Moka pot much easier to clean afterwards!)

4. Filling the pressure vessel with boiling water does reduce the overall time and avoids ‘scorching’ the coffee.

5. A 3 minute extraction allows for the grinds to be fully wetted and draw out the full taste, helping to avoid sour (under extraction) or bitter (over extraction)

6. Depending on your personal taste the coffee to milk ratio should be around 1 to 2.5

7. Do not heat the milk beyond 65c or it will break down in structure and be less able to hold the air bubbles when frothing.

8. I clearly have TOO MUCH time on my hands and need to get out more :D. But at least I can have a nice cup of coffee in the meantime:cool:

9. Don’t judge me! I did warn you at the beginning……. :D

Last edited:
Good read... We just use an espresso machine at home :thumb
Haha, well this all started when I was looking at espresso machines a few weeks ago……. then one thing led to another…….

I must confess I am enjoying this particular ‘test kitchen’ project….. it makes a change from bread! :D :D

I have a Nespresso machine and don’t particularly rate the coffee it produces despite trying many pods from various suppliers, albeit I have quite high coffee standards.

I suspect the coffee from your setup is superior in taste provided you’re sourcing good quality beans.

WARNING! You may not like this post, you may lose the will to live, or you might just learn something new…………. feel free to stop reading at any point!

I have been experimenting with different techniques for using a stove top Moka pot. After having spent far too long watching umpteen YouTube videos this is where I am at the moment. The pot used in these photos is the Bialetti ‘3 cup’ however my preferred choice is our ‘6 cup’. As anyone who has one of these knows the cup reference is only relevant to very small cups so don’t read too deeply into the numbers.

First I grind 20 grams of medium roast beans, finer than shop bought espresso grind but in reality not as fine as espresso setting on a good quality grinder. Then I drop the coffee into the coffee funnel and gently lift and drop onto the tube in the photo so that the grinds settle then once near the top I just level with a knife…. NO tamping. I put an ‘Aeropress filter’ on the underside of the top vessel (wet it to stay in place) then I pour boiling water in the the pressure chamber up to the relief valve. Screw the whole lot together (tea towel needed) and place on the stove on a VERY low heat. In my case I use an induction plate as the stove is induction and the Moka pot is aluminium.

View attachment 102635
View attachment 102642
It takes 9 or 10 minutes before the coffee starts to come through but when it does it is a nice, gentle, controlled flow. After about a minute I turn off the hob and the residual heat will last for another 2 minutes before the top vessel is full and the liquid turns clear and (possibly) starts to spurt. Note that it is very important to stop the brew the moment the spurting starts.

View attachment 102636

Once the brew is complete I remove it from the heat and rest it in cold water to stop the brewing process.

View attachment 102637

Then a quick stir to mix the coffee and oils evenly before pouring into 2 preheated cups. I add 50 grams of coffee to each cup then 150 grams of foamed milk (previously heated to 65 c) which has been frothed in a cafetière by pumping 4 or 5 times gently but ‘through’ the surface, then another 80 or so but briskly and without breaking the surface. This aerates and ‘stretches’ the milk.

View attachment 102639

The final result is a ‘poor man’s Cappuccino’ without the expense of an espresso machine and an expensive grinder

View attachment 102640

I agree it’s not perfect, but the taste and texture are lovely and not a million miles away from something you would buy in a coffee shop or café.
View attachment 102641

So, I did say this was full on nerdy but I thought it might just be of passing interest to those of you with a Moka Pot. The Lessons that I have learned during this excessive are:

1. Grind a bit finer than shop bought espresso grind.

2. Fill the funnel to the top, level with a knife but do NOT tamp down.

3. The use of a paper filter helps refine the taste (and if you don’t believe that I can tell you it makes the Moka pot much easier to clean afterwards!)

4. Filling the pressure vessel with boiling water does reduce the overall time and avoids ‘scorching’ the coffee.

5. A 3 minute extraction allows for the grinds to be fully wetted and draw out the full taste, helping to avoid sour (under extraction) or bitter (over extraction)

6. Depending on your personal taste the coffee to milk ratio should be around 1 to 3

7. Do not heat the milk beyond 65c or it will break down in structure and be less able to hold the air bubbles when frothing.

8. I clearly have TOO MUCH time on my hands and need to get out more :D. But at least I can have a nice cup of coffee in the meantime:cool:

9. Don’t judge me! I did warn you at the beginning……. :D
Looks like you maybe a student of James Hoffman!

I enjoyed reading your science experiment and am happy that you’re happy. I think it’sa journey many of us have been on.
But the milk thing!
TWO THIRDS
What is going on there?
Take your brew, add maybe one or two teaspoons of milk max. Then you’re drinking coffee, not a coffee flavoured drink.

Last edited:
80 pumps?!? Too much air. This is one I rustled up earlier on my Cali coffee setup. Manual grinder, Cafelat Robot and Bodum caffetiere for the perfect cappuccino. The microfoam is next level.

cap.jpg

I enjoyed reading your science experiment and am happy that you’re happy. I think it’sa journey many of us have been on.
But the milk thing!
TWO THIRDS
What is going on there?
Take your brew, as maybe one or two teaspoons of milk max. Then you’re drinking coffee, not a coffee flavoured drink.
I have just edited the milk ratio due to a typo however the intention here is for a milky coffee :thumb

80 pumps?!? Too much air. This is one I rustled up earlier on my Cali coffee setup. Manual grinder, Cafelat Robot and Bodum caffetiere for the perfect cappuccino. The microfoam is next level.

View attachment 102653
Yup you’re right, meant to say 50 (now edited). That looks nice btw :thumb

Enjoyable read.
I thought ‘cleaning’ a Mokka was not good. Rinsing only. Perhaps that’s what you meant. My pal Giorgio says its like a wok, you shouldn’t wash the flavour away.

Unless you've done a double-blind taste test, this information is inconclusive

Enjoyable read.
I thought ‘cleaning’ a Mokka was not good. Rinsing only. Perhaps that’s what you meant. My pal Giorgio says its like a wok, you shouldn’t wash the flavour away.
That’s deffo an urban myth…. Old coffee will go stinky and rancid and affect the flavour. Like everything else in a kitchen…wash and rinse ……

Unless you've done a double-blind taste test, this information is inconclusive
I have been testing this for two weeks now at least once a day. I have used 2 different types of bean and set the grind from medium to ultra fine. I have tested with and without filters. The extraction times have been between 1 minute and 6 minutes.

Lastly, see note #9 at the end of my original post :cool:

Haha, to @GrumpyGranddad and @kurienp all I can do is draw your attention to the first line in my original post ;) ( all meant in the “best possible taste” to quote a certain Kenny Everett:D)

That’s deffo an urban myth…. Old coffee will go stinky and rancid and affect the flavour. Like everything else in a kitchen…wash and rinse ……
The original aluminium bialetti pots had a varnish like coating that didn't enjoy washing. I've only owned stainless steel ones in the last decade and a half so I can't opine on the more recent versions.

The original aluminium bialetti pots had a varnish like coating that didn't enjoy washing. I've only owned stainless steel ones in the last decade and a half so I can't opine on the more recent versions.
Just don’t put it in the dishwasher! It goes all matt :)

I used a moka for years in the van. Then I bought an aeropress for home and eventually a junior sized travel aeropress for the van. Can’t bear to throw out the moka though.

Which coffee do you use?

I use the Bellman, nearly as involved as your Mokka pot routine but even better results! It steams milk better than my very expensive dual boiler espresso machine at home!

BTW I don’t think you’re too nerdy at all, what can be better than good coffee in a great location in a camper van!

Back