Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

More Crit'air confusion...

Max-Felix

Max-Felix

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Just trying to work out if I need one??

Not going to any French cities but travelling through much of France in August..

Including:

https://www.crit-air.fr/nc/en/infor...es-zcr/pyrenees-atlantiquespau-zone-zpad.html

This states:

"Only in the case of an air pollution peak, the prefect will communicate with a press release the exact extension of the area affected by concrete traffic restrictions."

Well, who on earth on hols in a campsite is going to know that?

I presume a 2011 SE is Euro 5?

EURO 6 only on T6‘s Calis

A 2011 is Euro 5.

Given the cost of it I just look at it as a cheap insurance policy. I've got it therefore I'm not going to be caught out by not having it.

To be honest the most irritating thing about Crit'air is getting off the bit of paper it arrives stuck to :shocked

Thanks Jen.

I've gone to I believe the official site (not the super inflated rip off ones):

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/demande-ext/cgu

Stuck on these questions?!

Commercial description[Champ D.3**]

CO2(in g/km)[Champ V.7**]

Also, do they need pics of the whole V5 or just page 2?
I just sent page two of the V5 as that's got all the necessary info on it. For the various requested fields, the answers are all listed on your V5.

As I understand it, the Crit'air certificate can suddenly become a requirement in any department if the air polution levels get high enough, so for peace of mind I would just get one and you're covered. The certificate is really cheap as long as you order it through the official web site and stays with the vehicle for the rest of it's life. You'll then be covered for the designated cities as well.

In reality, it's probably another example of how the French seem to tackle bureaucratic issues, lots of rules and regulations which the natives often then ignore. I've no doubt that if the Préfet suddenly imposes Crit'air requirements on a whole regional department it would be your duty to comply whether you knew anything about it or not.

Last edited:
Thanks Borris, did not realise the champ/field applied to our own V5!

So?:

Commercial description[Champ D.3**] = "CALIFORNIA SE TDI 140"

Not listed on mine, anyone have the C02 figure for a 2011 Tdi 140 6 speed manual SE?

Website below has wrong data and offers options for a 2011 as the 5 cylinder previous engine.

http://carfueldata.dft.gov.uk/search-new-or-used-cars.aspx

Last edited:
We live part time about 30 miles from Pau and go into the city fairly regularly. There last month and don't recall seeing anything with a sticker on.
However, I agree with Jen, for what it costs just get it. Pointless idea imho as for the price who isn't going to get one and still drive into the cities so no reduction in pollution. Just a money making excercise.

Thanks Jen.

I've gone to I believe the official site (not the super inflated rip off ones):

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/demande-ext/cgu

Stuck on these questions?!

Commercial description[Champ D.3**]

Also, do they need pics of the whole V5 or just page 2?

As with Boris, I just sent page 2 in.

All the questions they ask are printed on there anyway.

My windscreen is rapidly becoming opaque with stickers :sad

Thanks all - purchased!

Now - left hand of lower screen or right hand?? :rolleyes:

I bought the sticker, still not sure I needed it though- better safe than sorry.

Drove up from the Ardeche to Boussac today - leaving Lyon heading west lots of variable speed limits due to pollution, which was strange as this was pretty much open countryside. The problem was they are the light up when needed over gantry type so quite sporadic and speed varied from 80 - 90 - 110km and back. Signs advising ANPR cameras / for info if in the area

Now - left hand of lower screen or right hand?? :rolleyes:

I read on another forum that it's fine to put it lower left on a RHD vehicle:

"Vous pouvez effectivement coller votre certificat qualité de l'air à gauche de votre pare-brise si la réglementation de votre pays vous interdit de le mettre à droite. Cordialement,"

(Translated: You can stick your air quality certificate to the left of your windscreen if your country's regulations prohibit you from putting it on the right.)

Mine's lower left.

Well, it was.

Long story ..... little granboys fingers :(

I read on another forum that it's fine to put it lower left on a RHD vehicle:

"Vous pouvez effectivement coller votre certificat qualité de l'air à gauche de votre pare-brise si la réglementation de votre pays vous interdit de le mettre à droite. Cordialement,"

(Translated: You can stick your air quality certificate to the left of your windscreen if your country's regulations prohibit you from putting it on the right.)

Minor update: I received confirmation from certificat-air.gouv.fr that it's acceptable to affix the certificate on the lower left side of the windscreen.

The instructions indicate RHS looking out. I received email confirmation from certificat-air.gouv.fr that it's acceptable to position it on the LHS on a right hand drive vehicle: "We inform you that you can affix the certificate on the lower left side of the windscreen."

I thought I'd made an error in the application when I received a Category 2 sticker, but that's already been covered on this thread and the French grading is different from EU categories.

The instructions indicate RHS looking out. I received email confirmation from certificat-air.gouv.fr that it's acceptable to position it on the LHS on a right hand drive vehicle: "We inform you that you can affix the certificate on the lower left side of the windscreen."

I thought I'd made an error in the application when I received a Category 2 sticker, but that's already been covered on this thread and the French grading is different from EU categories.

Thank you very helpful!

This has made me realise for Denmark trip we will be going through France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany and finally Denmark... I suspect there will be a few different requirements. Belgium appears to be stickerless at least. Now to check the others.

Ordered French and German plakette now. :)

Last edited:
Back