Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mosquito nets - are they midge proof?

thesquirrelpatrol

thesquirrelpatrol

VIP Member
Hi

are the factory fitted flyscreens on the GC midge proof?

No. You will need extra fine netting to stop midges getting inside....we have first hand experience from 2019!

We have just bought some netting from Pennine Outdoor in order to make our own midge proof net screens for the doors, windows and pop top openings.

This is what we bought - sold as midge proof!

Last edited:
This company offers different size mesh (they also make the branded shower tent+ shower kits for VW so their stuff is good quality):

trouble with midges is they come in on your clothes and as soon as a door is opened.

Jerba campers sell the midge proof ones. They are based in Scotland so use the right stuff
We bought ours from Jerba a couple of years ago, been very happy with them.

Jerba campers sell the midge proof ones. They are based in Scotland so use the right stuff
I know they do t6/t6.1 midge screens but do they also do ones for the grand California?

trouble with midges is they come in on your clothes and as soon as a door is opened.
Citronella candles have them at the windows desperate to get out, and USB rechargeable electric zapper turns the rest to dust.

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 2.11.44 AM.png

Last edited:
Have just been caught out by the midges in the last few days and have had to improvise. I already had the Cali fly screens for the sliding windows but as they weren’t fine enough I pulled a midge head net over the top and slid the frame into place. Job done!! Works a treat.
But for our next trip I’m going to add a fine net curtain material to the pop top windows so that these can be opened for ventilation too.

Still, a small price to pay for visiting such a beautiful part of the world.

The screens on the Grand are different to the normal California. On our previous T5.2 we had to sew in additional midge net to the pop top vents and make up door screens. No such problems on the Grand and I’ve been on the Scottish west coast a few times recently. On the Grand the built in sliding screens, cover all windows, skylights and the sliding door. Please try it before buying any additional screens as I don’t think you will require them.

Update: After further field study work ie 4days on Skye, contrary to my previous advice I can categorically confirm that the GC blinds let Scottish midge thru. I’m also wondering if there getting in the roof vent. The only solution I can think of is to make up some external midge mesh covers with magnets to cover the external window when open. Any other solutions?
ps we were also burning citronella candles.

Agree, the GC mesh blinds definitely let the Midge through.

I bought some strip magnets and midge netting with a view to improvising, but in the end after multiple trips to the Scottish west coast, a combination of battery fans inside for airflow, using the blackout blinds instead of the mesh blinds to allow ventilation when cooking, and just parking on exposed windy coasts made it manageable. I never got any feeling that they were coming in through the roof vent.

The single biggest difference was just to follow the wind and choose park spots that intentionally get exposed to the breeze.