Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mot and tyre load ratings

BenPcaliman

BenPcaliman

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Bought my 2014 cali just over a month ago and knew the front tyres would need replacing before the next mot due next month.

I have ordered 2 Michelins for the front with a 103 load rating but noticed the rears have a load rating of 99!

Some googling later a I now realise this is dangerous for a fully laden cali and shall be changing all 4 now "sigh"

But I have looked through the previous mot and kwikfit failed it last year on the rear tyres and then proceeded to fit 2 new with a 99 load rating.

Bit annoyed as the tyres could have failed with the family in it and they have put my family at risk.

Question. Would I have much come back on an mot from a previous owner in relation to kwikfit.
I will be chasing them tomorrow but fear I have little comeback what with it being almost a year ago.

Would your insurance company invalidate the insurance in the event of a claim with these tyres fitted?

They’d have to make good their error to the previous owner, so I don’t see why they shouldn’t to you. Either don’t give them your name (pretend to be the name on the invoice) or threaten to write all over their Facebook wall and every forum you can - should they fail to replace.

They’d have to make good their error to the previous owner, so I don’t see why they shouldn’t to you. Either don’t give them your name (pretend to be the name on the invoice) or threaten to write all over their Facebook wall and every forum you can - should they fail to replace.
Have you read that companies reviews, a very mixed bag indeed, their managers are experts at up-selling.

Have you read that companies reviews, a very mixed bag indeed, their managers are experts at up-selling.
Oh yes, I’d avoid them at all costs, but they have a public reputation to maintain (well damage limitation) so you can usually threaten them into behaving well if they e done something dangerous like this (and have the paperwork to prove).

I am currently on the phone to head office customer services and all was going well till I was forced to tell them I am the new owner.

They have refused to do anything about it as I am the new owner and they say they cannot guarantee that the tyres are not the same ones as they fitted even tho I have proof they fitted the wrong tyres. :mad:

If you have the original invoice with the vehicle registration mark and the tyre type fitted etc. quoted in writing you should have all the proof needed.

Go on their Facebook site. Most big companies now have a customer service measure as a KPI (key performance indicator) sometimes linked to bonuses. They won’t like anything negative.

Go on their Facebook site. Most big companies now have a customer service measure as a KPI (key performance indicator) sometimes linked to bonuses. They won’t like anything negative.
I'm on it Twitter Instagram and now Facebook and resolver.co.uk

DVSA (Driver and Vehicle Service Agency) are the people who may be be of most help as it is their function to ensure vehicles comply with their legal specifications, yours clearly didn't due to the incorrect specification tyres being 'professionally' fitted.
If spotted by them on a roadside check you would have been fined and your vehicle impounded until the fault was rectified.
Your insurance cover would also be invalidated.

I've noticed numerous (cheap) alloy wheel/tyre suppliers using this incorrect load rating for T5's and T6's.