Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

MOT: VW Van garage or any independent?

K

Katie T

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
HI there

I am interested to know if I should take my T5 Cali to a commercial van centre for it's MOT or the local garage. It's last was done at VW Commercial as they did it just as I bought it from them. Thanks for help x

Doesn't really matter mot is the same wherever you take it, it's all recorded on the computer.
Mine gets done at the local garage.

If it needs anything they will try and sell you the dream of parts and labour at a premium price but that’s up to you.

Outside of warranty period , local Mot station every time.

Why would any warranty matter?
An mot is a legal requirement and all mot stations have to adhere to the test. If work is required you can have it done wherever you like, obviously back to vw if you feel it's warranty work.

An mot is a legal requirement and all mot stations have to adhere to the test. If work is required you can have it done wherever you like, obviously back to vw if you feel it's warranty work.
Because a vehicle in warranty shouldn’t really fail so it saves time to have the dealer mot it and fix any warranty items while they have it.

Ithe MOT is a legal requirement, it has been since God was a boy, But thanks for pointing that out !
You are correct all Mot testing stations adhere to the same test.

If the van is within warranty, it’s in the interest of the vw dealer to replace any item they need to, as they (the dealer) get the revenue form a vw for any warranty work.
Out of warranty you pay heavily for any parts and labour via VW.

Your are correct that you are within your right to have any remedial work carried out wherever you like, but if the vehicle fails the MOT, you will have to have the work completed and return to the test station within the prescribed time limit,
or pay for another MOT, if you fail to carry out the remedial works and have the vehicle retested within the prescribed time limits.

The OH was asking for opinion “vw garage or independent “

My opinion, based Purely on convenience of having the dealer carry out the MOT, whilst the vehicle is within warranty, and the fact dealer cannot say, at a later date they knew nothing about an issue that then comes to light.
I.e they service and mot the vehicle !
Bearing in mind service is approx every two years, so the mot acts as another check and balance until the end of the warranty period either 3 or 5 years in the U.K.

You offer no relational or usefull opinion or information likely to be of any use to the op,
you merely jump on my opinion for no given reason and state the legal facts only, that is not what the op asked for !

The op stated that VW carried out the Mot at point of sale,
I actually concurred with you implication: that she need not go back to VW, but suggested if the vehicle was within warranty, I would choose VW to carry out the MOT.
Clearly a T5se will be outside the normal warranty, however, the op may have purchased an extended dealer warranty!

I trust that fully explains my rationale, and it’s ok for me to express my opinion in the best intentions of a fellow forum member ?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Loz
I would always get my MOT at the same garage I would want to work on the van as its just less hassle to get everything sorted in one place.
Once out of warranty my advice is to find a garage with a solid reputation and preferably a recommendation from someone you trust.
Main dealer or independant there are good ones and bad ones.

It wasn't meant to sound like I was jumping on your opinion, more why a warranty would make a difference in choosing where you get an mot done.

It wasn't meant to sound like I was jumping on your opinion, more why a warranty would make a difference in choosing where you get an mot done.
Loz kindly and helpful posted an eloquent response just before I hit send, but the intention was identical to my opinion

• Love
Reactions: Loz
Back