Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Motorcycle Towbar rack

DanP

DanP

Hi Folks.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience/advice with regard to using a tow bar motorcycle rack, such as this one that I've been looking at:
http://www.easylifter.co.uk/Non-Lift-Scooter-Rack.htm

The motorcycle that would be carried is my Honda CRF250L Trail bike. It has a curb side weight of 144kg.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel (Southern Spain)

I may be wrong but I think that the maximum load on the towbar is 100kg. So the motorbike alone would be too heavy.

Ah, if that is the case, i'd better start thinking about a trailer :cry:

Can anyone confirm that the weight limit for the factory fitted removable tow bar is 100kg?

Thanks

mister_blobs said:
I may be wrong but I think that the maximum load on the towbar is 100kg. So the motorbike alone would be too heavy.
Yes you are correct, nose weight I believe 100 kg.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Andy said:
mister_blobs said:
Yes you are correct, nose weight I believe 100 kg.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Just checked in the westfalia detachable towbar (OEM fitting) fitting instructions & the max nose weight is 60 KG. Maybe different for the fixed towbar.

Hi Dan,
I've been toying with the idea of getting a CFR250L myself. I've read a couple of favourable reports on the bike but not spoken to anyone who actually owns one. It would be useful to hear your views on ownership. I'm thinking of maybe of light off road use & a little rural road use - basically a toy - also, like you, somehow pulling it with the Cali. My local dealership has got a couple of these on, what seems like, such a good deal, I wondered if they were having trouble selling them.

Cheers G

Hutch said:
Hi Dan,
I've been toying with the idea of getting a CFR250L myself. I've read a couple of favourable reports on the bike but not spoken to anyone who actually owns one. It would be useful to hear your views on ownership. I'm thinking of maybe of light off road use & a little rural road use - basically a toy - also, like you, somehow pulling it with the Cali. My local dealership has got a couple of these on, what seems like, such a good deal, I wondered if they were having trouble selling them.

Cheers G
I've ridden bikes of all sizes for 35 years and I have to tell you that this, for me, is simply the most perfect, fun bike I have ever owned. Honda have truly done themselves proud.
Having said that, it's no tourer and at high speed (above 60mph :? ) it's not the most comfortable ride, but for light off road, and bimbling around on local roads it's brilliant, and will make you smile every time you get on it. The fact that it does around 80mpg also helps the fun factor.

I really would like to take this with us on the back of the Cali, but it's looking like a bike trailer or nothing as the factory fitted detachable tow bar doesn't seem to be up to carrying it on a rack.

Don't hesitate with getting one. You won't regret it.

Dan

Cheers for that Dan. Also had a number of bikes over the years but, inevitably, with arrival of the kids they were replaced by four wheels. Lately though, I've been hankering for some two wheel fun - but trying to stay away from organ donor machines! I remember fondly my first 125 trail bike I had over 20 years ago when I lived in London - an old Kawasaki KE125 - that was one of the most fun times I've ever had on bikes - and great for jumping speed jumps!
May well take your advice and enjoy the back brake again!

Shame about the tow bar though.

Cheers G

I'm also thinking about motorcycle trasport and I found a shop with this device in Germany, But I don't know how our Califoria will behave on the road?, is the suspension robust enough?
https://shop.kecmotors.com
127_0.jpg

They write that the payload is 250 KG. pretty much nearly every motorcycle exept Harley Davidson:)

is the suspension robust enough?
Feel the suspension may struggle with that and a bike hanging well behind the rear axle. With a full (now somewhat limited) load of gear / people odds on will be quite a bouncy and low rear. Plenty of relatively inexpensive options to lift / firm up rear to sort that if need be. Not sure what bike you want to carry but I like the look of this rack as seems more compact and may well be lighter but not sure how one gets the bike on and off we ease.

Bike rack.png

I had one of those on my shogun swb with a ktm 250 excf and it handled like a kite in the wind. I sold it after a couple of goes and bought an erde single bike trailer. Much easier to load as well and tows like its not there.

fullsizeoutput_10b1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: