Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Motorway Fuel (in the crisis)

D

DaveB

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We are driving up the M6 to Scotland on Friday. Hopefully it will have all died down by then but can anyone tell me what it has been like refuelling on the motorways?

I've got 3/4 of a tank which should get me a decent way north from Devon. Wondering what a decent strategy would be to pick up fuel on the way

I travelled from Birmingham to Stafford at midday. No Diesel, but petrol. Overhead signs were also reporting no diesel up to J16 service station.

I have heard locally that there has been fuel on the M6 toll road....but you'll need to pay £12 in fees for a Cali to get it.

It would be far better if the signs said where there was fuel! Coming south on Sunday night all the signs said no fuel at XXX services referring to the next service station, get past that & it changed to the next one & so on, did from Sheffield to the M25 without a single one having fuel.

Both petrol and diesel at Warwick services on Sunday night

There is a petrol station just on the junction roundabout at junction 16 of the m6.
There is also 1 at junction 17 if you turn left about 200 yards on the left. This is after the services at Sandbach.
At the moment, both of these have both petrol and diesel in the mornings. And are cheaper than the service stations themselves.

Hopefully by tomorrow most panic buyers will have full or nearly full tanks so should be some left for the rest of us.

However there has been a few awful accidents in the last couple of weeks between junction 15 and 18 causing hours of delays and 2 motorway closures so make sure your not on fumes.

Managed to fill up in Paignton Sainsburys. The van is rammed with food, let’s see how far I can get on one tank. Google says 687 miles from Brixham to Lochcarron. I should have filled a few more bin liners with diesel.

We are driving up the M6 to Scotland on Friday. Hopefully it will have all died down by then but can anyone tell me what it has been like refuelling on the motorways?

I've got 3/4 of a tank which should get me a decent way north from Devon. Wondering what a decent strategy would be to pick up fuel on the way

You should be fine in Scotland.
I'd top up when you stop for a wee when you need and top up in the North of England..

I live in Glasgow.
I've not seen any forecourts shut in the last few days while routinely driving around.
I filled up my wife's BMW at a Morrisons (Anniesland Cross) on Sunday 2pm. Of the 36 pumps 3 were in use when I arrived.
I filled up the Cali on Tuesday 4pm at the same place. Of the 36 pumps 12 were in use.
My neighbour went to fill her Citroen up at 10am on Tuesday at the same place and there was a queue of a dozen cars so she went somewhere else where there wasn't a queue.
IE there is huge variability on an hour by hour basis in this huge supermarket forecourt.
And probably most other supermarket forecourts in Glasgow.
But fuel is readily available.

On Mototrway outside of Glasgow M74 M6.
On Sunday I drove 50 miles down the M74 south from Glasgow and passed several forecourts and 50 miles back - - no queues. I was meeting two friends who'd driven from North Spain and filled up on the M6 near Penrith after getting into England at Southampton and filling up before the Channel ferry. They'd seen a few queues way down South they said but none past the midlands.
On Monday I drove to the airport in Edinburgh (45 miles from Glasgow 40 miles on M8) and passed a half dozen forecourts on the way and again coming back - no queues.

My younger son is playing a gig on Skye this weekend and driving from Glasgow up to Skye on Friday and back Sunday (gig Saturday) and his feedback is there's no fuel shortage en route or on Skye.

BTW I've seen a few notices in places with no fuel shortage that they have a limited supply of unleaded petrol and one place had none.

Enjoy your trip :)

Thanks Barry. The fuel situation is simply adding to the sense of adventure..as is the current weather forecast. Hope your son's gig goes well

We made it with no issues whatsoever. All service stations we stopped at had plenty of fuel and no queues. But …. £1.58

We made it with no issues whatsoever. All service stations we stopped at had plenty of fuel and no queues. But …. £1.58
Good to hear you didn’t have issues, price is indicative of supply & demand & to be expected in current circumstances. Thanks for the update, we are off to the north of Scotland middle of next week, fingers crossed situation doesn’t deteriorate. Enjoy your trip.

Does anyone else think Mr Anderson is telling porkies?
Possibly a bit of artistic licence but no, I believe it. We were joking a week ago about a Jerry can crisis (it happened) and people filling up saucepans (black bin liners worse)

Does anyone else think Mr Anderson is telling porkies?

No. Wholly plausible.

I am currently on Chertsey CCC campsite.

The fuel station opposite has had its pumps coned off for three days but the forecourt still open to allow access to the Londis store. People were queuing almost over the bridge yesterday before finally getting on the forecourt and realising the only availability was unleaded bread before driving off again.

This may help...www.petrolprices.com
There's also an App

No. Wholly plausible.

I am currently on Chertsey CCC campsite.

The fuel station opposite has had its pumps coned off for three days but the forecourt still open to allow access to the Londis store. People were queuing almost over the bridge yesterday before finally getting on the forecourt and realising the only availability was unleaded bread before driving off again.
The best stories are wholly plausible. The Court believed this chap. I’m more skeptical.

Love this quote:

"I bought an electric car and everyone else in the UK has range anxiety!” Quentin Stafford-Fraser

WARNING o_O

The Germans have started to take the p1ss out of the Uk for this
petrol crisis,
heard it on a reputable radio station today,
Schadenfreude was bandied about often with a link to
the old time British sport of queuing up in line. And then a mention
that the UK will go back to imperial measurements, they signed off by
saying - good luck with that.

WARNING o_O

The Germans have started to take the p1ss out of the Uk for this
petrol crisis,
heard it on a reputable radio station today,
Schadenfreude was bandied about often with a link to
the old time British sport of queuing up in line. And then a mention
that the UK will go back to imperial measurements, they signed off by
saying - good luck with that.

I’m sorry to say that there’s an awful lot to take the wee wee out of us at the moment.

“Taking back control!”

More like “lost control”.

Bring in the army…

I’m sorry to say that there’s an awful lot to take the wee wee out of us at the moment.

“Taking back control!”

More like “lost control”.

Bring in the army…
Don't shoot the messenger.

But it did get mentioned that all of the
problems are being blamed on everything else
and not Brex1t.

Don't shoot the messenger.

But it did get mentioned that all of the
problems are being blamed on everything else
and not Brex1t.
I teach ESL to adults and it's all they want to talk about. An unexpected benefit of brexit was my classes almost teaching themselves, it's been an absolute comedy gold mine watching the UK's blundering journey...

sideshow-bob-rakes.gif

The cement tanker will likely make an appearance on Monday!

I teach ESL to adults and it's all they want to talk about. An unexpected benefit of brexit was my classes almost teaching themselves, it's been an absolute comedy gold mine watching the UK's blundering journey...

sideshow-bob-rakes.gif

The cement tanker will likely make an appearance on Monday!
Have you found any positives to teach them from the brex1t ?
Surely there must be a few?