Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Moving from double sleeping bag to duvalays

PaulMilton

PaulMilton

Treading water until retirement.
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Ceri and I have a double sleeping bag that is adequate but we differ in our target temperatures. This causes a bit of pulling around of the top cover and compromises over sleeping comfort! Has anyone moved from a double sleeping bag to two duvalays? Are they loads better?!

Hi Paul,

we have twin duvets rather than a double sleeping bag, although we have one of them as well. They take up more space but more flexible in our opinion for the reasons you mention. We have been known to use a single and sheets in summer months.

Another advange is that if one of you is ill you cal easily transfer to the other bed.

How about taking two duvets if you have them free and testing them out.

Regards Pd

we use two double sleeping bags....works for us and easy to pack and store away.

can join for the special occasions!!

I have the dualays brilliant up on the top bed but a bit squished on the bottom bunk due to the width of the bed and the foam mattress of the Duvalys overlap each other slightly on the ocean.

P.s still love em

We have duvalays for all 4 of us, 2 adults, 2 kids. They take up a huge amount of space but are comfortable and easy to organise so are worth it!
We can have different combinations of topper and duvet thickness to suit everyone. They suit us in our beach as the built in topper means they can go straight on the bench seat.

Take a look at the Kelty Doublewide. Has fitted separate blanket things - For us it’s been really good and allows us both to be comfortable.

We have duvalays for all 4 of us, 2 adults, 2 kids. They take up a huge amount of space but are comfortable and easy to organise so are worth it!
We can have different combinations of topper and duvet thickness to suit everyone. They suit us in our beach as the built in topper means they can go straight on the bench seat.
Do you have to order the duvalays so that they are right and left handed to overlap as a double and can you join up the bases? (If that all makes sense!) (Same question to Jay gas!)

Take a look at the Kelty Doublewide. Has fitted separate blanket things - For us it’s been really good and allows us both to be comfortable.
Ah, that looks interesting but not sufficiently different from what we already have to make an investment - but it does look better than what we've got.

Do you have to order the duvalays so that they are right and left handed to overlap as a double and can you join up the bases? (If that all makes sense!) (Same question to Jay gas!)

No they are "reversible", but there is no way to join the bases, although in a small space such as the upper bed they are not going to migrate too far from each other.

As @Mr T says, they can’t be joined but can change from left to right handed easily by turning over and folding duvet the other way.

I really like the fact that all the bedding for each person is rolled up in one bundle, it makes packing simpler but they are bulky.

Hi, do you use them on top of the comfort mattress or just straight on the seats + extension. We didn't find the VW 'comfort' mattress that comfortable on our 1st outing last weekend - rock hard :(

Hi, do you use them on top of the comfort mattress or just straight on the seats + extension. We didn't find the VW 'comfort' mattress that comfortable on our 1st outing last weekend - rock hard :(
We haven’t got the comfort mattress, we have the 4cm topper in the duvalay and put that straight onto the 3 seat beach rear bench. I’m fussy and find it fine as long as I don’t sleep with head at tailgate end. Then, it’s not quite enough over the thin multiflex pad.
We use thinner duvalays in the roof but need the thicker ones on the downstairs bed. The thicker duvalays aren’t that much bulkier and we can also use on a SIM in the awning when the kids get older and need more space!

We haven’t got the comfort mattress, we have the 4cm topper in the duvalay and put that straight onto the 3 seat beach rear bench. I’m fussy and find it fine as long as I don’t sleep with head at tailgate end. Then, it’s not quite enough over the thin multiflex pad.
We use thinner duvalays in the roof but need the thicker ones on the downstairs bed. The thicker duvalays aren’t that much bulkier and we can also use on a SIM in the awning when the kids get older and need more space!
Thank you, that's really helpful.

Thank you, that's really helpful.
No problem, the first few trips can be ‘eventful’! :)It gets better and easier, but that generally involves spending more money on kit! Or perhaps that’s just me.......;)
We started with old camping self inflating mats and duvets, which were fine but Duvalay’s are much more convenient and just really nice to sleep in. Do wish they were more compact though but that’s the trade off!

No, you just turn one inside out. Plus we swapped out the cheap poly-wool duvet for a John Lewis super duper duck-down ones.

Last edited:
Super king size duck down duvet. Light, loads for both of us, ( especially as we sleep downstairs) rolls up easily, rolls up small, and lives on the guest bed at home when not in Cali. Expensive!

Ceri and I have a double sleeping bag that is adequate but we differ in our target temperatures. This causes a bit of pulling around of the top cover and compromises over sleeping comfort! Has anyone moved from a double sleeping bag to two duvalays? Are they loads better?!
We use two duvalays in the roof bed and have found them excellent. I did trim an inch or so off the sides of each memory foam insert so they fit snugly side by side. Much more comfortable than a sleeping bag I think. And they pack up very well.

I don't really know what a duvalay is, but I always use a double sheet (with the corners sewn up to fit round the ends of the upstairs mattress), and a standard double duvet. I've discovered recently that you can shove the bed up during the day without taking the sheet/duvet off! We keep a sleeping bag in the cupboard in case someone wants to move downstairs.

Haven't used sleeping bags in years. Three double poly-cotton duvets from IKEA. Gives every variation for temperature including extra for the cooler mortal. Minimum cost, great flexibility. Used at home for guest beds which keeps them aired over winter.

Back