Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Multiflex board and driving, fridge for Cali Beach Camper 2021

B

busfender

Vehicle
Looking to buy
We are very seriously contemplating buying a California Beach Camper version, but my wife has a couple of questions:
1. Can the rear part of the multiflex board be secured in the upright position so one can drive with it up and not flapping around, or does it have to have something stacked against it to stop it falling down?
2. Given the height of the space under the multiflex board at the back, what fridges can people suggest to fit in there, or is it possible to find a fridge that might fit into the slot where the rear lidded storage compartment is?
3. What are the main drawbacks of the current multiflex board that end up with people making their own versions, or are these modifications to older versions of the multiflex board that have been addressed by the latest version?
Thanks.

Also, what is the Bed Extension with Comfort Mattress? Is it really just the topper or is there some other extra bit that goes with it?

We are very seriously contemplating buying a California Beach Camper version, but my wife has a couple of questions:
1. Can the rear part of the multiflex board be secured in the upright position so one can drive with it up and not flapping around, or does it have to have something stacked against it to stop it falling down?
2. Given the height of the space under the multiflex board at the back, what fridges can people suggest to fit in there, or is it possible to find a fridge that might fit into the slot where the rear lidded storage compartment is?
3. What are the main drawbacks of the current multiflex board that end up with people making their own versions, or are these modifications to older versions of the multiflex board that have been addressed by the latest version?
Thanks.
Hi,

My experience is with a 2015 Beach, one of the last of the T5.

1) Sorry I have never tried but as far as I am aware it won't stay up in the upright position without something in the way. You could probably attach something to head rest to hold it up.
2) I have a CF40 which did fit under the multiflex before I got a slidepod.
3) Main drawbacks for me, its heavy, but its pretty sturdy and rigid. Attached picture from inside the forum to show how it folds up. It's more to access whats underneath than anything else.

1619016601959.jpeg

Hi Busfender

if you look at Matt‘s picture, there is a strap on the right hand side, that Dan be used to secure the Open MFB to the head rest. ( three seat version)
It is only a rubber strap so will allow the board to move but no close.
incidentally I’ve removed both the under side plastic gadgets (Matt‘s photo above) to allow more storage space as I don’t use them.
the T shape is a bag holder for take aways etc and is hinged

fridge Dometic CFX35 fits easily under the MFB - plenty of threads on the forum from Beach owners

bed extension is the MFB ( you will need it) & the comfort mattress is the topper , in a three seat Beach the topper is shaped to remove the contours in the bench seat, allowing a perfectly flat sleeping surface.
in the two seat version I believe the seat / bed is flat so less of an issue

have a search of the forum, all your questions have been covered in depth on various threads, many of which will bring you upto speed very quickly ( many with photos)

As a CF40 owner btw I would probably now go for a 35litre if I was buying again as per Perfectos model. The 40 is quite large and I keep it in the rear cab area (although handy as a seat).

As a CF40 owner btw I would probably now go for a 35litre if I was buying again as per Perfectos model. The 40 is quite large and I keep it in the rear cab area (although handy as a seat).

We have a CFX28. On a year long trip around Europe with two children we found that we could stock it with sufficient food for four for four nights, but no soft drinks in the fridge.

It fits under the multiflex in either orientation, but we usually strap it behind the front passenger seat.

We have a CFX28. On a year long trip around Europe with two children we found that we could stock it with sufficient food for four for four nights, but no soft drinks in the fridge.

It fits under the multiflex in either orientation, but we usually strap it behind the front passenger seat.
Does this fridge fit nicely behind the seat.. do you need to move it when bed is down?
Can you send me a picture please?
We are looking to get a larger fridge for our beach.
Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Here is a couple of pictures of a CFX35 in a beach, the 28 is marginally smaller

edit: three seater bench

yes you can put the bed down when the fridge is behind the drivers / passenger seat no problem
Obvs the seats are swivelled in the second photo, but it should give you a good idea of size
I hope that helps

883968A5-3505-40A5-BA6A-A40AB24811E1.jpeg

F1A746C0-A36F-4A2A-B744-1FA3F622E963.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello Busfender,
You say that you are considering a T6-1 Beach Camper but you don't say which seat arrangement: 2 seat bench and storage box or 3 seater bench? The Multiflex board differs depending on your chosen seating option. Therefore there are different answers for each version.

We just got the CFX3 25 which fits nicely behind passenger seat but not under the multiflex board. It's 420mm high the CFX3 35 is lower at 407mm but just too big for us in the other dimensions.PXL_20210520_194046436.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Here is a couple of pictures of a CFX35 in a beach, the 28 is marginally smaller

yes you can put the bed down when the fridge is behind the drivers / passenger seat no problem
Obvs the seats are swivelled in the second photo, but it should give you a good idea of size
I hope that helps

View attachment 78205

View attachment 78206
Which van and seating set up is this? Looks perfect

I hope that helps

View attachment 78205

View attachment 78206
Hey which van is this and seat configuration?

I have got CFX 28 which is great but next time I would get the CFX35

I’ve a 2019 2-seat Beach. It fits behind the passenger front seat but not under the multiflex board.

Back