Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Multiple electrical problems with brand new Cali.....

babble

babble

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
So, as already catalogued on another thread about fridges i picked up my van brand new at the end of July, and fridge didn't work properly. it took two months, three trips to see vw (one entirely because they were incompetent) and two weeks without the van to get it fixed.

When i picked up the van they hadn't cleaned it, and the leisure batteries were at 60%. I have had no apology of any sort for my time, so i wasn't best pleased, but at least i had my lovely van back.

Just been out in it for the first time since bringing it home.....

- flashing coil warning light
- Start stop error - not working
- AAC error - not working
- front assist error

Jesus.

been on hold to VW for about an hour. still not answering.

it drives fine as it happens, (other and not having cruise control) but i'll be damned if i'm going to drive it to them. i was looking forward to a night away in it too.

So, as already catalogued on another thread about fridges i picked up my van brand new at the end of July, and fridge didn't work properly. it took two months, three trips to see vw (one entirely because they were incompetent) and two weeks without the van to get it fixed.

When i picked up the van they hadn't cleaned it, and the leisure batteries were at 60%. I have had no apology of any sort for my time, so i wasn't best pleased, but at least i had my lovely van back.

- front assist error

Jesus.

it drives fine as it happens, (other and not having cruise control) but i'll be damned if i'm going to drive it to them. i was looking forward to a night away in it too.
:headbang

That is not good.

But, today's cars can have a small defect, causing all the other errors. Because all the functions depend on each other, one simple sensor failure could cause 10 functions to stop working.
As you have the coil light flashing, surely the start stop won't work (engine related problem), making the ACC and front assist not working because they don't know if they are receiving the right data to be fully operational. Therefore they are cut out.

What brings me to my original thought of all those autonomous driving stories: 1 simple failure makes all the systems not working. That will lead to all the driver's purely depending on the helping systems, like ACC, lane departure warning, front assist, rear assist, side assist, automatic lights and wipers, .... Those people will not be able to drive anymore, because they just depend on those systems.

Which makes it a very good thing. Leaving the road open for really skilled drivers (I have to drive my car myself), to drive in less crowded roads.
Please all buy autonomous cars. When they fail, I have the road to myself!!! :bananadance2

OT:
Take the California to someone that can read fault codes (VW, or someone else). Then you will know what is really happening. Maybe it's just a small issue, or even just a software glitch that needs an update?

Keep us updated!

thanks for this. yes, i guess that's all true!

my question is: should i have to keep going back and forth to VW to get things sorted out? i guess i can call VW assitance for this and let them come to me. the van is less the three month's old.

I would be looking to find a more helpful dealer. If it’s under warranty, any can fix it and should try to keep you sweet, in the hope you’ll take it to them for service later.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

As above. I would start with the battery state of charge and health.

It's new and only ever done long journeys.

It's new and only ever done long journeys.
You need to measure the Engine Battery Voltage. The Leisure Batteries were at 60% you said, and the Engine Battery might be similar.
Phone VW Assistance and they will check for you, read the codes etc and make a Diagnosis.

- front assist error

Jesus.

Similar to my problems only picked up brand new one hour loose connection below passenger seat dealer fixed in 5 mins

The Cali may be new to you , but is it new factory orderd by yourself or demo/showroommodel.
Get it to a decent California dealer .
In Belgium hard to find so i've heard .....

So, update: VW assistance came out and found that my (delicious soy based bio-plastic) tubes had been eaten away by a marten of some sort. It was temporarily repaired for free, but he said i would have to go to VW to get the work done permanently. My goodness. I suspect here there is almost no chance of that being sorted under warranty as it is and external influence, so that would an insurance claim (unless that doesn't cover animal consumption?)

WTF are they thinking making a camper van edible?

Do i really now have to undertake the raft of anti-rodent measures outlined on the internet (beepers, coatings, sprays etc) to protect my brand new van from attack?

WTF are they thinking making a camper van edible?

Do i really now have to undertake the raft of anti-rodent measures outlined on the internet (beepers, coatings, sprays etc) to protect my brand new van from attack?
Yep! That's the Law of Unintended Consequences when the environmental activists frighten manufacturers to go Green. It'll be the Bumpers next.:headbang

well, i don't think the environmental activists would consider making something, that is intended to last thirty years, edible as a very green approach.

well, i don't think the environmental activists would consider making something, that is intended to last thirty years, edible as a very green approach.
Environmental activists are not famous for making anything at all.

well, there are the national parks, the regulations on clean air and water, stuff on protecting birds and other biodiversity, reducing landfill, chemical pollution, marine litter. It's not all bad. it's not as if industry is exactly likely to self regulate. VW are not scared of environmental activists anyway, they did it for their green-washing environmental marketing. Rather than actually giving a sing, they did something so they could pretend they did, which in fact will cost more resources. (see bio-fuel as another example)

@babble I can see you are Peeeeeeeeeeeeeed We had the same back into 2012 Rodent damage we had a £200+ bill on our T5

It's a known fact that some rodent eat cable/wireing in engine compartments .
I don't think there's any reason to blame climate activists or car manufacturars using bio-plastics . This has been a issue for a long time with oltimers and cars not beeing used frequent that are parked outside in the nearby habitat of those rodent .
You just been unlucky to have it on your Cali .
Is it parked outside ?

I am having a similar electrical issue on my 2016 Cali Coast. Got a Start/Stop error in the MDF and bluemotion is not functioning. Brought to my dealer, who said there is a 'lost connection with the body control module'. They did some preliminary voltage tests, which showed low/intermittent voltage but now want to charge me 600euro to investigate wires and try and solve connection issue. They also told me it could possibly be a faulty body control module, which may need to be replaced. Its 1 month out of warranty! Im beyond disappointed. Anyone heard of this before?

- front assist error

Jesus.

There are a few excellent dealers on a thread here. You may have to travel a way but it would be worth it.

Back